cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dipping our toes into snow bird with TT

JeffnEmJay
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby and I are planning to do a TT with two dogs, going to Gulf Shores/Mobile Bay area for 3 months (Jan thru March, into April). We have not yet purchased a TT, but we are hoping to buy it in the area, have it setup for us, and have it stored in the area. We've been researching TTrailers, RV Parks, including State parks, and Storage/hauling services.
So.. we are wondering- are their good sites available? Are their storage spots available? Are there services that will setup 1-2 days before we arrive, then move to storage 1-2 days after we leave?? andybody else doing this??- surely we are NOT the only ones with this plan....
We live in Ohio, would be driving down with a SMALL trailer attached to our SUV...
Any advice/ resources would be SOOO appreciated!:@
2015 Cherokee 304BH TT, DH,DW,Bear-Newfie,Oak-Golden
First time RVing will be Jan 2015!!
Loving Life:B
22 REPLIES 22

JeffnEmJay
Explorer
Explorer
Following up (again!) We've had great luck with Big Daddy's RV in London KY- they were very responsive to questions, helpful, communicated, AND the pricing was AWESOME. We've also been very pleased with help from Anchors Aweigh- they will be our "home" for January, February and March.

Thanks all for the recommendations and insights. We are NOT planning to tow our TT, it is "Gorgeous", and spending TONS of time considering floor plans was certainly well worth it.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Corky12 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Corky12 wrote:
pasusan: We spent several months in various places in AZ and NV. Maybe our problem was our Midwest work ethic. It just seemed a lot of people were wasting their lives with their daily trip to Wal-Mart, playing cards/bingo/horseshoes/etc., standing in line on Wednesdays for their free piece of pie, watching their clothes go round and round in the dryer at the Laundromat. Plus I missed my grandkids like crazy. There were good parts but we will do several shorter trips and stay in hotels. Lot less complications than pulling a trailer.
So why are you posting here :H

Am I not allowed to post if I have a different opinion of "snowbirding"? We will continue to use our RV but not as a snowbird. My response to OP suggested a trial run because we did not care for our winter experience. pasusan asked why and I responded to her with the above post.
Sure you are - but the OP wasn't seeking opinions of snowbirding and your response which I quoted did not contain any suggestions to rent first. Here is the origonal post in case you missed it:

OP wrote:
Hubby and I are planning to do a TT with two dogs, going to Gulf Shores/Mobile Bay area for 3 months (Jan thru March, into April). We have not yet purchased a TT, but we are hoping to buy it in the area, have it setup for us, and have it stored in the area. We've been researching TTrailers, RV Parks, including State parks, and Storage/hauling services.
So.. we are wondering- are their good sites available? Are their storage spots available? Are there services that will setup 1-2 days before we arrive, then move to storage 1-2 days after we leave?? andybody else doing this??- surely we are NOT the only ones with this plan....
We live in Ohio, would be driving down with a SMALL trailer attached to our SUV...
Any advice/ resources would be SOOO appreciated!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Once arriving at your chosen snowbird location you may notice a recurring issue in those areas. It is called death. Not to make light of a family's grief but many RV's are dumped at low prices by the survivors. They are often on a site ready to use and complete with furnishings, bedding, and dinnerware.

Many of our friends have purchased this way and tell me that the annual rental is only slightly more than the snowbird seasonal rental fees.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Corky12 wrote:
pasusan: We spent several months in various places in AZ and NV. Maybe our problem was our Midwest work ethic. It just seemed a lot of people were wasting their lives with their daily trip to Wal-Mart, playing cards/bingo/horseshoes/etc., standing in line on Wednesdays for their free piece of pie, watching their clothes go round and round in the dryer at the Laundromat. Plus I missed my grandkids like crazy. There were good parts but we will do several shorter trips and stay in hotels. Lot less complications than pulling a trailer.

Am I not allowed to post if I have a different opinion of "snowbirding"? We will continue to use our RV but not as a snowbird. My response to OP suggested a trial run because we did not care for our winter experience. pasusan asked why and I responded to her with the above post.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Corky12 wrote:
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dpowli
Explorer
Explorer
NORM WADDELL wrote:
I suggest you call Anchors Aweigh campground
at Foley AL and discuss this. I believe they
provide such services. Foley is about 15 miles
north of Gulf Shores.

X2. Was there in April. Nice campground, great owners It did get pretty cold last winter, but was not typical for the area.

JeffnEmJay
Explorer
Explorer
We have begun the journey... we've visited the coast several times, and went down before Christmas this past winter. We are certain we will "like" being away from the cold, cold winters, and while we will miss the g'kids, we will only be gone for 3 months. Rentals don't appeal to us, so we are "diving in" to this adventure. Looked at real live TT for first time, and quickly realized we need something bigger- 25-30 foot is where we are looking now. We keep coming up with so many questions!
Will search these forums before I ask here.
Will keep you all updated...MJ

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Corky12 wrote:
pasusan:..... It just seemed a lot of people were wasting their lives with their daily trip to Wal-Mart, playing cards/bingo/horseshoes/etc., standing in line on Wednesdays for their free piece of pie, watching their clothes go round and round in the dryer at the Laundromat......

:?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
JeffnEmJay wrote:
Thanks, all- great advice! I have urged hubby to do a trial run, we will see if that flies- would also help us be more realistic about minimum size tt for us.
As far as I can tell, a Park Model costs more than our $20000 budget, and we don't want to leave a big ticket item unattended for the majority of the year, don't want to rent out our space, etc. etc. So HK I appreciate the thought, but I'm not sure that will work for us. We are def looking in the Foley area, so great to hear about a specific park. Such great advice- thanks a million! Will post on here again to let you know what happens in this journey!!

You don't have to buy a park model to 'dip your toes' into snowbirding. Many parks have rental park models and mobile homes. Either one would give you more room and be more efficient to heat. Just another thought. And if you don't like snowbirding you don't have to worry about what to do with a TT you just bought.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

JeffnEmJay
Explorer
Explorer
K Jackson-
We have wintered in the Mobile Ala area for the last 13yrs and love it, friendly people, good weather and lots to do and see. As to RV purchase and storage Johnny's RV in Folly is used by several in our campground, they deliver and set up the Rv and come and pick it up for storage. They also sell and own several campgrounds. We bought our last 5th Wheel there and are happy with the deal and service. Hope this helps

Thanks for that great tip KJackson-
Late Bloomer- Hubby is an AF Vet (vietnam era)- but not retired military.

JeffnEmJay
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all- great advice! I have urged hubby to do a trial run, we will see if that flies- would also help us be more realistic about minimum size tt for us.
As far as I can tell, a Park Model costs more than our $20000 budget, and we don't want to leave a big ticket item unattended for the majority of the year, don't want to rent out our space, etc. etc. So HK I appreciate the thought, but I'm not sure that will work for us. We are def looking in the Foley area, so great to hear about a specific park. Such great advice- thanks a million! Will post on here again to let you know what happens in this journey!!

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
Any chance you are retired military? If so, Blue Angel Recreation Park in Pensacola has RV storage and an awesome campground. Lots of retired military store their rvs and drive in, hook up and camp. Right on Paradise Bay.
I got here as quick as I could.

Kjackson
Explorer
Explorer
We have wintered in the Mobile Ala area for the last 13yrs and love it, friendly people, good weather and lots to do and see. As to RV purchase and storage Johnny's RV in Folly is used by several in our campground, they deliver and set up the Rv and come and pick it up for storage. They also sell and own several campgrounds. We bought our last 5th Wheel there and are happy with the deal and service. Hope this helps