cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dumping at Campgrounds and Flushing Black Water Tank Too

JohnnyE_
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading some of the posts about flushing your black water tank. Has anyone taken the time to dump the black water (with a line of other RVers behind them) and then refill their black water tank and flush it? The dump site doesn't have a hose nozzle so you'd have to fill the black water tank by flushing the toilet.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
2014 Keystone Passport Elite 28BH
58 REPLIES 58

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I had an RV dumping in front of me, and I could tell that she wanted to flush the tanks, so I said go ahead because I was not in a hurry. Unfortunately she was glacial in her movements, and it took more than 15 minutes. The City dump site was about to close, and the attendant came up to me and said that he had to close the gate and send me away. Fortunately he had heard my conversation and was just messing with me, and thanked me for making it easy for her.

I have to rate this dump site A+ for access, cleanliness, hoses, drains, garbage and recycling containers... and now attitude. It's even landscaped, and has a suggestion box.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
It takes me about 5 minutes from the time I put her in park, to the time I put her in drive. I dump the black and gray at the same time. It takes the gray longer to drain anyway. I close the black valve first, I know when its empty, the splashing stops ๐Ÿ™‚ I rinse and store the hose, use the handy wipes(clorox)and pull away. I get out of the way to add water and chemicals to the tanks. On some occasions, I have dumped the night prior to departure when there is no lines. The next day, I just unhook the power and go. I dont worry about flushing out the tanks as I use them year round.
Full timing it since July 2012

rhochnadel
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the people taking all the time in the world actually think they are doing a "dump and go".......
'05 Keystone Challenger TPK
'01 Chev 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Corgi "Pippin" & cat "Sundance":)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
JohnnyE! wrote:
I've been reading some of the posts about flushing your black water tank. Has anyone taken the time to dump the black water (with a line of other RVers behind them) and then refill their black water tank and flush it? The dump site doesn't have a hose nozzle so you'd have to fill the black water tank by flushing the toilet.

Here is what I do IF I dump at a site (Usually dump at home with my own dump setup).

attach my extra twist on gate valve to the dump tube.
close the extra gate valve
open the main gate valve
open black tank valve and dump
close the extra gate valve, leave black open
open the grey water dump valve to backflush into the black tank
close grey valve, open extra gate valve
repeat the process with the second grey tank
close black tank valve
finish dumping grey water.

Does a pretty decent job of flushing the black tank
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
JJ Spectre wrote:
In a case like that I pre-fill a 5 Gal bucket of water and sit it in the bathtub for the drive out to the dumpstation. Once I have the black and grey tanks emptied (in that order) I put a package of the crystals and the water in the toilet. It might take an extra two minutes, but I don't think that's too over the top.

X2, except I do the chemicals and the water in the toilet while DH empties the gray. no extra time used at all.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

JJ_Spectre
Explorer
Explorer
In a case like that I pre-fill a 5 Gal bucket of water and sit it in the bathtub for the drive out to the dumpstation. Once I have the black and grey tanks emptied (in that order) I put a package of the crystals and the water in the toilet. It might take an extra two minutes, but I don't think that's too over the top.
  • 2014 Silverado 1500 LT with Max Trailering package
    2012 Jayco Jay Feather Select 28R
    Husky Centreline
    5 of us plus one old dog

Days camped 2013: 21
    Days camped 2014: stay tuned!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I try to always flush the black. Only time I don't is if I can't hook up the black tank hose. Some dump sites have no hose connections for rinsing. I can get my black hose connected while the black is draining. Then leave it on while the grey is draining. Only takes a minute to put the black hose away. If it looks like for some reason it will be a hassle I will pass. If I had to refill the black tank to flush again and there was a line then NO I wouldn't do it.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
JohnnyE! wrote:

If there is a line behind you it's dump and go and do it as fast as you can. Common courtesy. And more so in the heat of summer where coaches are running to stay cool inside while waiting in line.

Don't know what RV you have but many of them the bathroom sink dumps into the black also. So just a tip that if you have a sink that dumps into the black it is much easier to run the sink both faucets open to fill the black with water to flush. Rather than flushing the toilet a thousand times! :W

Also, many of the larger rest areas have dump stations. (except Wisconsin!) You could stop at one of those on the way home to flush the tank.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

JohnnyE_
Explorer
Explorer
That's good info. My family and I took our TT out for the first time and there was a long line of RVers at the dump site (Sunday late-morning of July 4th weekend)... I just dumped it, flushed the dump hose with the gray water and left. We have a years worth of free dumping at the place we bought our TT so I'll probably take it over there and do a proper flush.
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
2014 Keystone Passport Elite 28BH

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We normally flush when we have full hook ups and use dump station as that a "dump station".
Flushing as you said is not a good practice. Sure if you dry camp and need to flush, good you should do it when there is not a backup at the dump station.
Flushing through the toilet doesn't do as much good as connecting to an external flush system. Just filling the tank only removes debris that is not attached to the tank.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
HOnestly, if there is a line waiting to dump I consider it unfair and selfish to take that much time. Know a member of our camping group who does that and we all fight to be sure to "get going" before he is ready to get in line! We simply make sure the black tank is full before we empty it (adding extra water if necessary before we unhook at the campsite) and then, after dumping and closing it off, put a gallon or so of fresh water with chemicals back into the toilet. Fill a gallon jug of water before we leave campsite to do this. We've never had an odor problem doing it this way.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would never do that!
If I had to fill the black tank by flushing the toilet I would park somewhere, fill it and get back in line for the dump station.
Unfortunately, there are rude people who don't care how long it takes to dump/flush the black tank. They will make everyone wait.
You can't fix rude/stupid. JMO

rscraig
Explorer
Explorer
If there's a line, just dump and go. Then just make sure that you give it a really good flush at the end of the trip. You may want to locate a different dump site near home that is not as crowded and has a faucet where you can do a real backflush before storing it away.
Steve
2012 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RKS
2006 Dodge 2500 4x2 QC 5.9L CTD

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
When there's a line you dump black, then flush hose with gray and get. I'll do a flush the next time I stop. If you want to tick off a bunch of people just do more then a quick dump when there is a line waiting to dump and leave.