cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin 760

margaretmahlum
Explorer
Explorer
Currently looking at purchasing a Garmin 760 for our Class C motor home. I know the Garmin navigation systems are not perfect but in general I have found them very useful for long distance and local travel. Is there a better option out there for us without breaking the bank? Looking to spend under $500.
Mags
17 REPLIES 17

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
msgtord wrote:
Never, never, never rely solely on a GPS. Always have a paper backup.

Absolutely. Went on a 2500 mile trip this year (longest yet by far) through 3 states and was sure a learning experience on what to use for navigation purposes. For hwy driving, paper maps work best for me, always have, always will. On long trips where I just need to know where to turn from one hwy to another, I memorize it or if too many, put it on a note to glance at. For city driving, a GPS helps along with a paper map. I like being to see the overall picture of where we're going on paper.

DW loves to google routes and print them out before leaving home. That has gotten us onto some really bad roads. I do 100% of the driving and keep telling her I don't want anything to do with the google info. but just gets po'd and upset.

I do like google tho. for planning hwy routes so that you can find images of what roads look like, info. on what driving on the roads is like, how busy they get, elevation changes and the latest on road construction or even forest fires.

Our GPS (not a Garmin) made way to many errors for me. Like "turn left then make a U-turn" - could have just turned right. Doesn't know about road construction, even if it's been there for a year. I refuse to entertain the idea of relying solely on any GPS. I hate having to use a touch screen - too hard to see and operate from the driver's seat. I'd rather have something with rotary knobs, switches and dials on it like the olden days, sigh.

I find the inside of the truck is just too noisy to hear the voice clearly. One reason I have trouble seeing the screen as there is simply NO place to mount it with all the knobs, switches and other stuff on the dash. Maybe there is an articulating arm mount available? Sure would help if driving solo.

Where does a person find a refurbished/reconditioned 760? I would like to look into getting one. Will look into Basecamp.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone been able to get MapQuest to work Lately?

they upgraded it and will not work on my Windows 7 Pro.. laptop

and I do have the 760 on my Christmas list.. you looking Santa??

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you learn how to use Basecamp to create routes and upload them to the GPS.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
We have the RV760 and have been happy with it. Thanks to my back surgery, we won't be traveling for a while. We did use it on one short trip where we knew the route and it was spot on. The internal antenna works well. I use the Garmin bean bag mount and set it on the center console of my truck and it keeps perfect reception. I agree with a couple others...read the manual. I have found that nearly every gps issue I've had over the years was solved when I broke down and read the manual.

I got mine from Best Buy since I had some reward cash to use. It was under $400 with free lifetime maps.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
johnwalkerpa1 wrote:
We have had this unit since the spring and all and all it has done well. We completed an 11,000 mile trip to Alaska this year where I had put in routes for each day and it performed well...On the whole trip, only twice did it mess up...once it was about 10 miles off on an address and the other time it said that our campground was 11 miles out in Cook Inlet ๐Ÿ™‚ Both issues were easily resolved before they caused any problems..or water damage!!

I always map my route out ahead of time and decide how I want to go rather than just enter an address and hope. I really like to use a GPS more for knowing about how far ahead a turn may be and which lane to choose than the actual finding where I am going aspect.

My only real complaint with it is sometimes I think that the "RV mode" is overly-conservative. It gets all disjointed on sharp curves and has been wrong on clearances on some bridges. Although, if its going to be wrong, I'd sooner it be wrong this way than the other way! In areas I know, I tend to ignore it or switch the RV mode off. One of these times, though, the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome may bite me by doing that...

part of the problem with bridge/tunnel clearances is that those numbers come from the states in many cases. And I've found that often the number posted for bridges/tunnels is the EDGE clearance, NOT lane clearance. I've seen cases where it warned me of 10' clearance. that is what the tunnel/bridge showed for edge clearance on the state website, even though clearance in the lane was 12' or more. So... GIGO. As long as you stay in your lane your ok. But Garmin/Magellen/etc. only can go by the numbers they get.

In one case, Garmin couldn't give me a route to a RV park for 12' clearance. Checked the WA state clearance listing and scratched my head. Same thing, couldn't get there from here. Call to the campground said no problem on the main highway from either direction . And I also knew that when I-84 was closed truck traffic with 13' trucks went down the WA side on tthe road I wanted to take all the time. So that is how we went, and along the way there were 3 tunnels warning of 10'ish clearance ahead. but when I got close it was 10'ish on the corners, 14' in the lanes.

so it isn't just GPS that can give you bad info.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I both have garmins. They have been dependable. I agree that a paper map on board should be a requirement. An atlas is even better. However, it seems more and more I just use the phone app on my Samsung and it gets me where I need to go just as quickly and dependably, and it doesn't cost me anything.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Deputy_Chief_P_
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the most of the responses posted. When we plan a LONG trip, we first use map quest to look at the overall planned directions and routes that will best get us to our destination. Then we look at an Atlas, then obtain paper maps and outline the route. When on the road, we follow our outlined written directions, using the GPS to help us with necessary lane changes, turns ect. Now if the GPS deviates from our maps, we follow the maps until the GPS changes the route to coincide with our original mapped out route.
My advice is worth what you paid for it!

Both of us are Retired Law Enforcement

2003 Pace Arrow 36B
Ansel Adams Edition
3 slide outs
FMCA
Good Sams Lifetime Member

2014 Jeep Patriot Toad

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
We have had this unit since the spring and all and all it has done well. We completed an 11,000 mile trip to Alaska this year where I had put in routes for each day and it performed well...On the whole trip, only twice did it mess up...once it was about 10 miles off on an address and the other time it said that our campground was 11 miles out in Cook Inlet ๐Ÿ™‚ Both issues were easily resolved before they caused any problems..or water damage!!

I always map my route out ahead of time and decide how I want to go rather than just enter an address and hope. I really like to use a GPS more for knowing about how far ahead a turn may be and which lane to choose than the actual finding where I am going aspect.

My only real complaint with it is sometimes I think that the "RV mode" is overly-conservative. It gets all disjointed on sharp curves and has been wrong on clearances on some bridges. Although, if its going to be wrong, I'd sooner it be wrong this way than the other way! In areas I know, I tend to ignore it or switch the RV mode off. One of these times, though, the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome may bite me by doing that...

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
set it up for FASTEST route.. NOT the shortest route.. that gets lots of people in trouble... I know,, do not ask..

and Garmin has a better plan then Magellan... had 5 Magellan's in 6 years... and got off track a lot.

I plan on asking Santa for the Truck 760 with backup camera and 50 foot cable.

margaretmahlum
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate all the responses to my Garmin question. My experiences with our current Garmin have been the same or similar to those posted. I will probably go ahead and purchase the RV Garmin and be sure to have a paper map available as well. I do agree with others that Google Maps is an excellent tool. Again, thank you.
Mags

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
I got my 760 for about $325 delivered and one can find the unit with backup cam for $400 or so. Most GPS problems go by by when one reads the manual. Although I have seen over the years some strange things. Like get off freeway, do U turn, now reenter freeway. But as said before LOOK AT YOUR ROUTE zoomed out far enough you can see what the GPS is doing. Millions of pieces of data tied together to make a route. One favorite of mine is when doing shortest route the GPS will have you go trough a town because going around on the freeway is longer or shortest time take you over a goat trail. GPS only does(for the most part) what you command it do.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin 760 RV and doubt I'd buy it again. Mine has given poor routing and it has been flaky. The specified RV routing has not been reliable enough for me to trust-such as road selection based on RV height and size. The RV park database has been useful at times.

If I was doing it over, I'd just get a standard smaller GPS from Garmin or Tom Tom-prices a little under $150 at Costco-and not waste the money on the RV model. Use this in conjunction with smartphone Google maps (when you have service). Google maps is probably the best single navigator I've used. It is always a good idea to carry paper maps too.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
had many garmins and have been very happy with them. The RV760 is nice, especially with the good backup camera they offer that interfaces with it. Good news/bad news is the display size. 7" is nice, but does somewhat limit suitable locations for it.

Routing wise, it has never let us down, has warned us a couple of times of what could have been a nasty problem when towing our 35' trailer. Has a nice list of campgrounds, etc. etc.

As with any GPS, common sense, previewing routes, and paper maps are always good things to do/have.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
Never, never, never rely solely on a GPS. Always have a paper backup. I have owned several and have learned to only use it to get me to the next fuel stop, after confirming the route. If you only travel major highways and interstates you may never have a problem. But the wife and I prefer the two lanes and small towns. It takes planing and knowing your route to prevent being sent down a dirt road, or worse yet no road at all. As happened to us.

Thanks for the info on the 760. I'm still debating as to the need for one.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.