cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide??

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
I have narrowed down my search to 2 used trailers that are fairly local with a great price. I decided I will pay cash.

One is a Hybrid 19' and the other a 17' traditional travel trailer. I am going to see both next week. The Hybrid is a little more expensive.

I want to sleep at least 3 with everyone in their own bed. This is my first RV so while I know I am buying a very small trailer, in case things don't work out, I can always sell without losing much.

Which one should I go with? These are NOT the actual units themselves, but these websites have good pics and information.

Choice #1 (2014 KZ Sportsman Classic 18RBT)asking $11,000 but says negotiable
KZ RBT 18 Hybrid

Choice #2 (2015 Forest River Wildwood x lite fs174bh)asking $8000
Wildwood 17' travel trailer with bunks

The KZ is more expensive, but I am sure if I show up with $8k or $9k in cash he may seriously consider the offer on the spot. The Wildwood is priced REALLY good but is a smaller trailer, but has everything I need for weekend trips.
22 REPLIES 22

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the help. I went with the Wildwood travel trailer with bunks. It is a mint condition 2015. After negotiating, I walked away $7500 cash with a small generator. I barely feel it behind my truck.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
95jersey wrote:
I really don't care. Wish I had a better answer. I don't know what I don't know. Just looking for the best bang for the buck.

95jersey wrote:
It is about cost and storage, ignore the truck. This is going into a tight space in my backyard and I just can't have a 20+ foot trailer taking up that much space and I am not paying rental fee somewhere to store it offsite. Also, doubt you will find anything newer (less than 2 years) in mint condition for $8000 (or less). If I can get the TT for say $6 or $7k in cash, I almost don't care about the lack of space inside for that price. It will only be used for short weekend camp trips with no more than a couple nights at most. Worst case after a couple years, I grow out of it or wind up never using it, and I will get most of my money back and then I can make a better decision on what I really want based on my personal experiences at that time.

This to me is the cheap, easy, very low risk way of trying out RV lifestyle.

Seems to me that you're putting an awful lot of time and energy choosing between choices when you say you don't care? If it's just a matter of trying out the RV lifestyle cheap and easy and getting your money back out in a couple years - and the rest doesn't matter - then buy the least expensive trailer in the best shape.

If that isn't the solution you want, then you need to be honest with yourself and figure out what is standing in the way? Is it worry that wife won't like the tent ends of the hybrid? Or is it that the buddies won't like the bunk beds? Maybe you can't have them all be happy with the limitations you've self-imposed (size).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:
Not sure I follow you. The Hybrid is actually 1000lbs lighter than the TT in this example. So how would that be harder to tow? Both are under 3500lbs which is almost as light as you can get. Wife in this case doesn't care or know anything about them. Most of the time it will be me and my dirt bike friends.

As I said - it was my father's impression/ experience. And also as I said I suspect the issue was not having a truck able to handle the towing demands. He didn't have weight distribution hitches.

Also the impact of wind on the rig can have as much or more impact on towing behavior than weight, especially in small rigs.

I was absolutely amazed at how much better towing was for my Grey Wolf 26BH with a 6,000 lb Dodge 2500 than with a 4,200 lb Ford F-150. The Ford was simply too light to stand up to how the wind could push the trailer around - especially winds from the rear.

Re the two options you linked.

The KZ is going to be right at 3500 lbs

The Wildwood is going to be closer to 4,000 - 4,200 lbs.

Since they are used, both likely weigh a couple hundred pounds over the mfr specs. Their actual NCC will likely be only about half what is listed on the spec page. If possible take them to a scale and get an accurate actual weight before purchase. If you can't do that - be sure to get a weight before you put anything in the trailer, and after you get it loaded.

If you are going to be like my brother-in-law and not use the trailer for the wife and kids/ grandkids - get what you want. My experience is that the dinettes are too small for a grown person to sleep in.

As far as bang for the buck - for a first trailer my recommendation is to spend as little as possible. Because almost everyone finds things about the first trailer which they want different in the next. If you don't put all your money into the first one, replacing it will be easier.

One other item about buying a used trailer - look at all four road tires and the spare. Write down the MFR date on each tire.

I've had a couple friends buy used trailers, and learned that the tires were over four years old. Most RV trailer tires have to be replaced due to age long before wear becomes an issue.

You don't want a surprise $500-800 expense soon after purchase for replacing old tires.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Hybrid is going to take longer to set up and tear down. Canvas will allow more night noises in - sometimes good, sometimes not so good. If it's raining, you are outside setting up and taking down longer then have to worry about having stowed away wet/damp canvas. Pros and cons to both rigs.

Lots of great thoughts in this string of comments. Only you can know which one is ultimately right for you. Good luck with the decision.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
95jersey wrote:
Most of the time it will be me and my dirt bike friends.

Then get the maximum amount of beds 🙂
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Hybrids are great trailers IF you love the idea of sleeping under canvas.
most Hybrid owners are former popup owners that want more amenities and less setup but want to keep the "camping" feel that hybrids offer. they don't like the "shoebox" feel of a regular TT.

but many newbies buy a Hybrid because of all the sleeping space they offer in a shorter and lighter package.
but they didn't consider the canvas in the equation and end up selling it after a season or two.

DON'T buy a Hybrid if you aren't excited about sleeping under canvas.
get the regular TT.

And there you go - the same answer from two different sides of the fence - first from myself who tried a hybrid and couldn't wait to replace it with a travel trailer and now from a long time hybrid owner who fully enjoys his hybrid and is quite content with it. Only the OP can decide which of the two he is. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
I had many 'discussions' with my wife before we bought our first trailer.

I experienced pop-up / hybrid camping when I was young.

I wanted a full-time standup bathroom. One I could always use, even when traveling down the highway. I could pullover and use the bathroom.

That meant TT.

not sure what hybrid you've ever seen but nearly all hybrids have bathrooms that are accessible while traveling.
popups no.
Hybrids are just like a regular TT but has drop down doors(like a level ramp)that mattresses rest on. they don't impact interior space.

Hybrids are great trailers IF you love the idea of sleeping under canvas.
most Hybrid owners are former popup owners that want more amenities and less setup but want to keep the "camping" feel that hybrids offer. they don't like the "shoebox" feel of a regular TT.

but many newbies buy a Hybrid because of all the sleeping space they offer in a shorter and lighter package.
but they didn't consider the canvas in the equation and end up selling it after a season or two.

DON'T buy a Hybrid if you aren't excited about sleeping under canvas.
get the regular TT.

that said, we've had our Hybrid for almost 10 years now and still love camping in it.
but we don't camp in RV parks and prefer the natural settings that state and national park campgrounds offer.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered renting a hybrid and TT to help make a decision which style is best for you? I realise that you are looking at 2 models now which makes me think you are ready to buy but I really think you should take your time much as you undoubtedly would for car and home purchases.

Just looking at the Forest River briefly I can say that I wouldn't want to cook in the kitchen. No counter space on both sides of the stove which makes life hard when you've a hot pot in hand. Fridge seems small for the amount of people it can sleep. None of this is of much consequence if you plan to do much of your cooking outside though.

Wondering about how many BTUs the existing A/C has and if it's really powerful enough to cool the entire space successfully especially after the the heating appliances are used in the cooking area; D/K since can't find the specs. Sleeping on a pull out bed nightly might get annoying and be uncomfy w/o modifications. Little privacy between the bunk house sleeping quarters and MBR which can impede adult conversations indoors; same problem exists w/ hybrids and tents though. Not much in the way of windows, either for viewing or cross ventilation. No skylight in the bathing area which can promote mold (if the vent system isn't up to snuff) and certainly would feel kind of creepy for those who prefer natural light in that area.

Didn't look closely at the hybrid's feature but am sure you can find pros and cons in it's layout as well. The thing is for you to look and decide what will work best for YOUR needs and usage.

HTH.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
The forest river all day

winger999
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped in all types of rigs, two different pop ups, one hybrid, and now a hard side 23.5 feet. My wife prefers the hard side (I was happy with the hybrid).

I think hybrid get a bad name, especially for set up and tear down, even in the rain. They are nothing like a pop-up. To open my hybrid ends, I undid two latches per end, lowered them down, done. Closing up, I would sweep them off and reverse the order, making sure to not close the tent material in the opening. If it was raining, easy open at home.

That being said, our hybrid had two queen mattresses, but my wife and I shared one of them. While some don't care to open and close the ends of a hybrid, I don't like putting down the table for a bed. I like to get up in the morning and have a cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal, and that is difficult if someone is sleeping on the table.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:
Also, doubt you will find anything newer (less than 2 years) in mint condition for $8000 (or less). If I can get the TT for say $6 or $7k in cash, I almost don't care about the lack of space inside for that price. It will only be used for short weekend camp trips with no more than a couple nights at most.

The answer then seems obvious to me - go with the travel trailer w/bunk beds.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
nohurry wrote:
What is your reason for wanting such a short TT with that much truck? (Serious question), is it because you want to get into more remote sites etc? Fine if that's the case, I'm just curious. I promise you if you went to a 20-24 foot TT, after the first couple trips you woudnt even think about it. If it's because you think you can't get one for $9K, I think with patience and cash in hand, you could get a nice one for that. May not be quite as new, but if the previous owner took care of it you'll be fine. Finally, since you asked. Between the two examples you gave I would not buy a hybrid. Good luck.

It is about cost and storage, ignore the truck. This is going into a tight space in my backyard and I just can't have a 20+ foot trailer taking up that much space and I am not paying rental fee somewhere to store it offsite. Also, doubt you will find anything newer (less than 2 years) in mint condition for $8000 (or less). If I can get the TT for say $6 or $7k in cash, I almost don't care about the lack of space inside for that price. It will only be used for short weekend camp trips with no more than a couple nights at most. Worst case after a couple years, I grow out of it or wind up never using it, and I will get most of my money back and then I can make a better decision on what I really want based on my personal experiences at that time.

This to me is the cheap, easy, very low risk way of trying out RV lifestyle.

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
What is your reason for wanting such a short TT with that much truck? (Serious question), is it because you want to get into more remote sites etc? Fine if that's the case, I'm just curious. I promise you if you went to a 20-24 foot TT, after the first couple trips you woudnt even think about it. If it's because you think you can't get one for $9K, I think with patience and cash in hand, you could get a nice one for that. May not be quite as new, but if the previous owner took care of it you'll be fine. Finally, since you asked. Between the two examples you gave I would not buy a hybrid. Good luck.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Towing either is not an issue for you with your 2500 truck...

Ease of use is:
Way back we had a pop up (tent trailer). We skipped the hybrid because we hated dealing with the tent ends...set up, take down, drying out the tents before storage, noise inside while camping, lack of security, no "real" bathroom, etc.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro