cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How old is too old on year model?

TnCamperMama
Explorer
Explorer
We are shopping and on a tight budget. We are looking at bunkhouse type travel trailers. We already know we will be buying used. I know Airstream's last for years,but that is not in my current budget. We plan to buy our bunkhouse and keep it until at least my oldest goes to college in 6 years. How old is too old on a used one? I don't think I want anything below an '07. My budget is 15K {that's my mx and prefer to stay under 10k}. I've been looking on various websites and already have a great local salesman. I'm not committed to a particular brand, but I don't want a hunk of junk either. I know what we want is out there, I've found several that meet all my requirements, in my budget. I can't afford to buy for a few more months, so I'm doing my homework right now.
Proud owners of 2006 Keystone Hornet 31ft. BH. Camp with the DH, 2 DS, & Axel the Rottweiler.
http://thefrugalhappycampers.blogspot.com/
19 REPLIES 19

TnCamperMama
Explorer
Explorer
So DH and I went yesterday to a dealership looking. We've already met a local sales guy we like, but since we haven't bought yet decided we'd look at another dealership. When we told the sleazy salesman we were "just looking" he totally left us alone. Like for an hour. I had a few questions, esp when we found one we were interested in. I didn't think I had any loyalty to the first salesman we met, but now I do. It's a world of differences you can have from one dealership to another.
I decided yesterday that I really like the Puma brand bunkhouses. They had two brand new ones there yesterday and either one would have been perfect. Since we're planning on buying used, I'm wondering how the Puma's hold up. Anyone have one they really like? Would that be a durable brand to buy a few years old and keep several years?
Thanks in advance.
Proud owners of 2006 Keystone Hornet 31ft. BH. Camp with the DH, 2 DS, & Axel the Rottweiler.

TnCamperMama
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Ram 2500 diesel quad cab. Thankfully we're not limited on what we can haul.
Yes, I'd be upset if I couldn't afford to fix it. My DH is handy to have around when it comes to fixing things.
We want one that sleeps at least 6, but prefer 8. We don't go too far from home, right now no trips "out west" are in the works. I do want to go to Ft.Pickens,FL next fall break. It's about an 8hr drive for us. That's a big maybe, b/c idk what's going on tomorrow much less a yr from now.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Tncampermama. Only you will know what is too old. If you buy something older, are you or hubby capable of repairing it? Will it be a devastation if you can not repair something or afford to repair it? With your budget you should be ok. If you are willing to go with your max you might be able to get something new or newer. All depends on the size of a bunkhouse trailer u want. There are 31' quad bunk tts like we had that required a 3/4 ton truck. Then there are bunkhouse tts with only two bunks that you can get a lt shorter, cheaper and easier to pull.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

TnCamperMama
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you ALL for your real answers and help. My DH and FIL know what to look for. The both grew up tent camping, and started pop up camping in the 90's. Camping is kind of new to me. I grew up out on a state lake where folks went camping, so it's been a true learning experience for me. I had to learn how to camp in my late 20's and still learning in my early 30's. It's so much fun. We're excited about actually buying our own tt.
I'm thrilled to have found this forum too. I've already learned so much and gotten some great tips and ideas.

joeprinter
Explorer
Explorer
With your price range, you should be fine, there are many units out there that, well have been parked, and it great condition,We had a 27Ft bunk house in.. 1994, kids got busy with cheer leading, sports, friends etc.. So ,, was a great day when the neighbor inquired about selling it to him.
"2012 Forest River 360 DS"
"Ford V-10"
"2013 Toyota Corolla on Tow Dolly"

ezmobee
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2004. It needs new awning fabric, a couple new blinds, and I'll probably coat the roof at some point. All the systems work great and after a little cleaning and some minor mods it was ready to go. I looked at 4 campers from the '02-'04 time period. Two were very nice (one of which I bought obviously) and two were not. One of the "nots" was smoked up and the other had some water damage in the rear floor. If you check them out carefully, there's some great deals to be had.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think there is a "too old" because I am regularly seeing RVs from the '70s and '80s that are in great condition.

Post 2000, something from 2001-2005 might be a better prospect than something from 2007-09 when the economy was collapsing and manufacturers were starting to cut corners and decontent entry models to try to find a market that might hold off bankruptcy.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a large RV show; look at the used units. You will see two kinds of units. Newer used and older used that have been trashed and used units of various age that have been well taken care of. Our 2007, looks like new in and out; regularly washed and waxed; carpets cleaned, things repaired if need be, roof caulked and UV protected. We take our shoes off, don't smoke and have a tiny dog that doesn't shed. Others smoke, walk in with everything on their shoes, have stinky dogs on the furniture, don't maintain or fix anything and just get a new one every few years. My advice - BE PATIENT. There are youtube videos on how to spot a lemon, take someone with you that knows where to check. If something has been taken care of (the more you look, you will begin to spot them) I would not be afraid to buy. We have always bought used but have been very fussy and thorough when looking at them. When we have sold our units, we have had many say, this is the nicest unit we have seen. This is a great time to buy, just take your time, have your cash ready and check it out good.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We also bought used, and then updated what we could, new tires, we had an RV mechanic go thru it with a fine tooth comb, we rebuilt the generator and purchased a new refrigerator and all that is left to do is get a new mattress as ours is the pits. I think we are money ahead. You want to search for, not just look, but search for water leaks.
Some rigs are built cheaply right from the start and that is why Airstream is so good, because they last forever and well built. But there are other good manufacturers who make pretty decent TTs. This is a good time to walk around looking at rigs and soon you will get to notice the difference.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our coach is a 2000 and we purchased it used at 10 years old. We have no plans to replace it as we have had very little trouble, don't even have 50,000 on it yet and everything works great. The interior is neutral, so not outdated looking.

sele
Explorer
Explorer
we have 2004 f'ver and love it. It looks almost as good as the day we bought it. You can find some excellent deals this time of the year. I don't see us getting rid of the f'ver for along time. Good luck
scott

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I would much rather have a top quality older unit than some of the new cheap stuff being put out. My MH is now 11 years old and I still look at it as new. Very little has gone wrong on it and people don't believe it is that old when I am out with it. We have added a few improvements and kept it up as well.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

TnCamperMama
Explorer
Explorer
The fabric inside can be ugly as homemade sin for all we care, so long as there's no holes in said ugly fabric. ๐Ÿ™‚

TnCamperMama
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. We've been using my fil's '03 Hi-Low, but he traded it yesterday for a 2014 brand new tt. We're so happy for them, in a lifetime of camping it's my inlaws first brand new one. Thus, it's time to buy our own. I know I may have to compromise on age to get things I really want, if it's in great shape. Since we're experienced campers, we know what we need/want for our crew. It doesn't have to be full of bells and whistles since we spend most of our time outside. The last two trips we've taken it's rained on us, so we do want some more room than the Hi-Low provided on indoor space.
How about outdoor kitchens? Yay or No? That's another thing I'm willing to compromise on, if it's like an '03, great shape w an outdoor kit I'd be interested.