cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Losing home & need to immediately relocate to truck camper

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the luxury of years researching everything I need to know to get started.
Since I don't have roots and can work remotely, I want to hit the road ASAP.
I can't seen to find a source that gives a concise and exhaustive how-to guide.
I'm always left with questions.

For instance:
Everything I need to go off-grid?

Basic equipment everyone should bring such as
emergency repair kits, hatchets, saws, etc. ?

The best way to find caravan groups to start out with?

All the places you can safely & legally boondock?

Also curious as to what you think the best rig is for a small signature and versatility?

Is there a guide to must-see locales? Maybe a kind of itinerary on how to hit all of them?
37 REPLIES 37

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Pitch, you said what most are thinking.
The OP may not want to get into why theyโ€™re down on their luck, and thatโ€™s fine.
Itโ€™s none of our business, but yeah, donโ€™t be another homeless **** stinking up nature or a city!
Budget wise, your budget and โ€œcaravan ing and boondicking and flitting all over the country to see everything there is to seeโ€ is not commensurate with your financial situation.
And neither is a truck camper setup unless you are also very mechanically inclined, which by your posts youโ€™re not.
If this is actually a goal and not just a get-away from the reality youโ€™re leaving behind, then figure out how to slow the train down so you can be more informed before choosing a type of RV. Otherwise, spend half your budget on something and save the other half for repairs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Since your knowledge base is zero,I would suggest sitting down for 36 hours and watch you tube video's.
What is your tolerance to disgusting? Sponge baths for weeks at a time and compost/cassette toilets will test that to the max!
Carrying ample water is the biggest logistical problem.
A travel trailer would probably be the most economical to start with.
Why are you starting this endeavor? Financial collapse? Broken marriage, running from the law, or just a desire to go?
The only place for extensive boondocking is in the West. You have a ton of questions which is good, doing your diligence, but it would be much easier to help if you laid out a basic synopsis of your reasons, your goal and your expectations.

One last thing,and I don't mean to be unsympathetic, BUT, if this a hedge against homelessness, please disavow yourself of the notion immediately. Stay where you are at and take advantage of any and all charitable and governmental services designed to better your situation. The last thing the RV community needs is another broken down camper, festooned with blue tarps and a pitbull tied to the bumper!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
CMKelin wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Until you experience โ€œroll and swayโ€ donโ€™t try to fix it. An adequate truck wonโ€™t require modifications. Remember your budget....what is your budget?

Our budget is $15K so we are going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

WE? So its two people?

Imo TC is too small for two people for fulltime livin.

And 15K wont get you ANY camper for ALL season living,unless you chase and stay in warm weather places.

Id get small MH not sure what 15k will buy you tho..

or buy School bus in good shape and convert it into MH

Plenty of vids on YT on how to do that and all your other questions too.
One main advantage

Skoolies are built tougher then any RV and you can customize it any layout you want.

You could live in it while building,just get Gym membership to use showers etc.

Good luck
Btw I had good experience drivin Chevys oved 40 years now,but then I buy new or almost new and dont abuse or race it.

https://youtu.be/HpqG4pKBTd8

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If you're traveling enough that gas mileage is a significant concern (i.e. a significant part of your budget), you probably would save money by using an efficient car and staying in motels, many of which have internet access available that's at least as good as what is found at most campgrounds...and often a good bit better.

Anyhow, some advantages of a truck camper: one less thing to register (in nearly every state), you can get into more out-of-the-way places particularly if your truck is four wheel drive, easier maneuvering in tight places generally. Some disadvantages: they're tight, and due to the limited space have limited capacities for water, propane, etc. Storage for stuff for full-time living is quite limited.

Some advantages of a trailer: more space, in some cases much much more space; you can easily leave the trailer at a camp site and take the tow vehicle to town or wherever you need to go; easier to climb in and out. Some disadvantages: you have a trailer to maintain; if it's not a fifth wheel, or if you're on the east or west coast, you cannot legally tow a second trailer; somewhat more effort to set up or break camp, in general.

Some advantages of a motorhome: Very easy to set up and break camp; you have ready access to the kitchen, bathroom, etc. while en route; you can usually tow something else if the need comes up. Disadvantages: chassis maintenance costs (tires, for instance--not too bad for most class C's, significant for a large diesel pusher motorhome); not great fuel mileage; you have to take your RV with you when driving into town or whatever, even if you aren't otherwise breaking camp, unless you tow a second vehicle.

For $15K, you might be able to get a (well) used but basically sound and fully functioning, probably class C, motorhome with a bit of shopping around; or a trailer in reasonable shape and a suitable tow vehicle. For the latter, it might be worth looking into full-size vans for the tow vehicle; many are (or can be) equipped to tow a pretty good sized trailer, and have adequate payload capacity to handle the tongue weight and also carry a useful load inside at the same time. A fair few pickup trucks and SUVs, especially the smaller ones, tend to have limited payload such that you can tow a trailer or carry some stuff, but not much of both at the same time.

As a general observation, pretty much any vehicle that can serve as one's house, with kitchen and bathroom facilities and so forth, is going to be pretty big and heavy, and hence neither inconspicuous nor fuel efficient.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
CMKelin wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
You donโ€™t need years to research but you do need a knowledgable friend to help you inspect a used any RV before purchase, and you need an adequate truck to carry the load. Rush and proceed without experienced help will waste your money. What is the total amount of funds you have available?

Ideally, we want to spend $15k between a truck & a camper. We want an all-season camper. We don't know about trucks to know what we need.
We've heard that F150s are excellent. Ideally, we want a setup where we can get more than 11 mpg.

Are there any particular trucks you recommend? We heard that diesel gets better mpg but that the cost of maintenance is so high that you might as well go with gas.

You will only find only the smallest of truck campers, that will work with a 1/2 ton truck. Using a 1/2 ton truck for carrying a truck camper to live full time in, isn't realistic.
Neither is 11mpg nor all season. All season truck campers weigh a lot and will require a minimum of a 3/4 ton.
With only a 15k budget, you need to do more research before jumping into this.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
CMKelin wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
"What however would we use for a laptop? We'd be using that more than a cell phone."

Most smartphones have a Hotspot function built in that allows it to share web access with a tablet, laptop, or other device.

What's that mean? So we'd be able to use our laptop on the wifi for our cellular service? If so how much might that plan cost? Who would you recommend?

Do you have a smartphone? And with what carrier?
For Android phones
Android
And for Apple
Apple

You will want to be on an unlimited data plan from whatever carrier you choose.

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
"What however would we use for a laptop? We'd be using that more than a cell phone."

Most smartphones have a Hotspot function built in that allows it to share web access with a tablet, laptop, or other device.

What's that mean? So we'd be able to use our laptop on the wifi for our cellular service? If so how much might that plan cost? Who would you recommend?

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Until you experience โ€œroll and swayโ€ donโ€™t try to fix it. An adequate truck wonโ€™t require modifications. Remember your budget....what is your budget?

Our budget is $15K so we are going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
You donโ€™t need years to research but you do need a knowledgable friend to help you inspect a used any RV before purchase, and you need an adequate truck to carry the load. Rush and proceed without experienced help will waste your money. What is the total amount of funds you have available?

Ideally, we want to spend $15k between a truck & a camper. We want an all-season camper. We don't know about trucks to know what we need.
We've heard that F150s are excellent. Ideally, we want a setup where we can get more than 11 mpg.

Are there any particular trucks you recommend? We heard that diesel gets better mpg but that the cost of maintenance is so high that you might as well go with gas.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
CMKelin wrote:
I don't have the luxury of years researching everything I need to know to get started.
Since I don't have roots and can work remotely, I want to hit the road ASAP.
I can't seen to find a source that gives a concise and exhaustive how-to guide.
I'm always left with questions.

For instance:
Everything I need to go off-grid? Depends on where you are going, and what you will be doing. Able to work anywhere ? INternet required? If so unlimited data on a cell plan and use as a hotspot, or a stand alone. Otherwise you are tethered to unreliable wifi sources.

emergency repair kits, hatchets, saws, etc. ? Basically what you are comfortable with, space and weight will be limiters, so trim down with that in mind, also get handy with a multi meter if you aren't already. Google "the 12 volt side of life" for help.

You tube has a lot of material, from How to's to videos of specific campgrounds, the above is an example.
***Link Removed***

Also curious as to what you think the best rig is for a small signature and versatility?
It depends on how far off the beaten track you want to go. For workspace as well as living, I would think a Travel trailer may be better suited, especially considering the ability to have larger tanks and an area to set up as a workspace.

Is there a guide to must-see locales? Maybe a kind of itinerary on how to hit all of them?
Back to you tube, input your interest in the search bar, and go as wild as you wish.

What however would we use for a laptop? We'd be using that more than a cell phone.

We were more talking about caravan trails and itineraries that go through several states and hit major sites of interest, rather than randomly looking?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lithium batteries? Now I understand your budget isnโ€™t an issue.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
CMKelin wrote:

Everything I need to go off-grid?

You will need some way to recharge your battery(ies). Either a Generator or Solar. You can't rely on running the Truck to recharge the battery. If you plan to have a fridge and furnace, you'll need a decent sized battery bank. If you want to run the A/C, then you'll need a generator.

Water would be the next big concern, where will you get it? Gas stations may not be too excited to see you filling up large tanks of water. You need to find where low cost or free sources of drinking water are. You also need to know where to dispose of the grey water and black water. Free dump stations are out there, but may not be where you want to be.

emergency repair kits, hatchets, saws, etc. ?

We always traveled with a set of mechanics tools, drill/driver, fuses and duct tape. The hatchet & saw would come in handy if you plan to have camp fires, but not really a necessity. If you plan to boondock alone and your truck doesn't have 4WD, then either a come-along or electric winch with a pull pal would be helpful.

Google search or Facebook Groups.

We've used ***Link Removed***. There is also ***Link Removed*** and probably countless others. Again, Google is your friend.

-Michael

What is a decent size battery bank? How much does it cost? Is it better to go with lithium? Battle-born batteries?
How much would the solar panels cost? How many are recommended?

What about composting toilets? What are they? How much are they? And would they give you a lot more convenience?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CMKelin
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
I went from a 26' travel trailer to a truck camper, full-time. I lasted from FL to WA (via TX) and traded it for a 23' travel trailer. I used the whole bedroom area for "stuff" and just left the u-shaped dinette into a bed. Loved traveling in it and it was great for day trips.

A basic tool bag (kept in the truck) was sufficient along with a socket set. No room for saws.. never needed one anyway. No solar setup, although my camper was solar prepped. Main thing I learned was to get a camper to fit the truck and the allowed bed weight. I had TorkLifts.. a whole new world. I had no sway, not hard to drive, no rolling. I did put airbags on my 2500 gas truck, LB, CC.

I got into horrendous winds in TX and did great with it. I got a Palomino Back Pack, hard side and it had everything.

Must sees? Google things to do in xxxxxxโ€ฆ never at a loss for what to see.

Good Luck and sorry on the house. Plan B is always good to have.

What all do you recommend to reduce the roll and sway of a truck camper? Is what TorkLifts is? This is all new to us.
How much do the modifications tend to cost?

Also, between a trailer & a truck camper, what are the benefits & deficits of each? Which did you like more?