cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

March or April

TreeDee
Explorer
Explorer
We just had a snow storm over the weekend in Reno. I am ready to go RVing in 2 weeks. Should we wait until April because
Of the chance of freezing?
Thanks for the advice in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Properly prepared, winter โ€œcanโ€ offer the best of camping experiences! Not prepared.....the worst! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you wait for perfect weather, you may as wall sell the camper. I have friends that own motorcycles that wait for perfect weather and then sell them at 5 years with 20,000 miles on them. I have already put a thousand miles on my Goldwing this years here in Wisconsin.
My wife and I start camping in March on nice weekends and stop in late November. We frequently tow home after snow.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
TreeDee wrote:
We just had a snow storm over the weekend in Reno. I am ready to go RVing in 2 weeks. Should we wait until April because
Of the chance of freezing?
Thanks for the advice in advance.

In my opinion, never wait for perfect weather, wait for the perfect chance to get out of the house. Other than my Smart A response, does your rig heat the tanks with the furnace? Don't worry about temps in the 20s overnight if it is above freezing during the day. If we can get the fifth wheel out without leaving ruts, we are in it. That is our guideline.
I try to get out in late March if possible, just because my DW goes stir crazy over the winter.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I travel between Upstate SC in the winter and MI in the summer.. I will be leaving here in April likely 21-22-23 this year Stop for a night or two near Cincinatti (overnight at truck stops rest of trip) and on to MI before May 1....

How do I pick the date: Well. based on Easter.. and my Memberships
Easter is the 11th and I pull in to this CG (the memmbership one) For 2 weeks on the 8th.. I will be in MI till Nov 1 thus spending 6 months + at least one day to maintain my citizenship and back to the choir here in SC.. (Yes I sing in the choir) I may make a short side trip or two depending on budget
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on temps. As long as it warms up well above freezing during the day, with nighttime lows no colder than upper 20s, you'll be fine.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We go if we have a nice looking weekend. Iโ€™ve gotten pretty good at winterizing, only takes about 15 min. Iโ€™ve winterized 3 times this winter, and that is pretty normal for us.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
???
Pro tip. Look at the forecast where you're planning on going?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped prior to de-winterizing our trailer, not that difficult really.

We stayed warm and had use of everything but running water.....had a blast.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never decline when you have the opportunity to camp!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
no

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to camp all year, and I live near you. Often I just leave the anti-freeze in place and just use a large water container.

East Walk River is my next trip.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would depend on where you are going.