cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mouse Dilema - What would you do?

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We recently discovered evidence of a mouse being in our RV. We have cleaned up and set 2 traps baited with peanut butter. In 4 days, there has been no new evidence and we have not caught anything.
Now the problem - we will not have access to our RV for 2 weeks. I am wondering if it would be best to leave the traps set or not. If we do catch a mouse and it is dead in the trap for several days, is it going to decompose and stink up the rv interior especially if the weather warms up. Alternative, if we do not leave the traps set, we risk damage from chewing, etc.
What would you do ? ? ?
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)
20 REPLIES 20

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
put 8 inches of antifreeze in a 5 gal pail. put a piece of mechanics wire through a piece of tubing (whatever you have small exhaust tubing or abs drain pipe or whatever. stretch wire tight across the top of the bucket. put PB on outside of tube near the center. put in trailer (towel under it incase of splash. they try to get pb tube spins on wire and dumps them in the anti freeze. the antifreeze seems to keep them from getting too funky. Bonus the trap keeps resetting its self.

NOTE: make sure they have access to the edge of the bucket (put it next to something or between some ramps)
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I also use cats, but not in the RV. They patrol the yard, I have only had one mouse in the RV and that was right after a cross country trip. I used regular snap traps BUT I used a partially chewed Tootsie Roll stuck on the trigger for bait. I was told by someone that a mouse will sit just outside the trigger mechanism and lick off the peanut butter, but can't with a tootsie roll, so it will try to pull it off and when it does.... SNAP! It worked very well... Got him within 12hrs
Proud father of a US Marine

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Would not like to lockup my CAT in camper for 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather have a dead smelly mouse than a live active destructive mouse in my RV. Maybe it would be good to put the trap on a piece of cardboard or something to keep the potential blood and guts and such away from carpeting etc.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
When I got my RV.. First trip out I installed 2 each CAT... Have seen no evidence of mice. Insects yes (I mean it's 14 year old) but no mice.. Down to one cat (on uninstalled itself.. That is. Died) but the other still purrs niely. Mice seem to avoid him. He's a Maine Coon. about 30 pounds worth (normal for his breed)... I keep him well fed but he'd love a mouse flavored snack or 3 if only they would come play with him.. Seems they think his play would make of them mouse pate though so they go far. so as not to be served tartar.

We too used to have a Maine Coon - no mice problem with him around but unfortunately he has passed away.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I got my RV.. First trip out I installed 2 each CAT... Have seen no evidence of mice. Insects yes (I mean it's 14 year old) but no mice.. Down to one cat (on uninstalled itself.. That is. Died) but the other still purrs niely. Mice seem to avoid him. He's a Maine Coon. about 30 pounds worth (normal for his breed)... I keep him well fed but he'd love a mouse flavored snack or 3 if only they would come play with him.. Seems they think his play would make of them mouse pate though so they go far. so as not to be served tartar.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times