cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to Rving and need help on identifying a part.

TuttlePierce
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section, and if someone needs to move it, I understand completely.

I have a 1977 Dodge Sportsman Motor Home with a 360 v8 engine. IT only has 81,000 miles on it and I got it for a great deal. Problem is she didn't run for about ten years and even though I bought it from the original owners, the person who was working on it was not there. I have a few issues and piece by piece I need to make this a proper home.

I have a couple friends who are learning more and more trying to get this going properly. She has driven 3 miles, total, since I have owned her and during those miles she drained the battery three times and I needed to get a core charge and a jump. Right now I have borrowed a friends battery, so it is not the battery I will be using when I start moving. I was told that if I have dead batteries in the back, they might be draining the full battery.

That issue seems minor compared to the other one or two. We apparently were missing a hose or something was broken off. I have included pictures of the part were is seems to have been broken. We have taken to numerous places and asked them about the part or where to find it, to very little success. We have gotten as far as 2 possible names for this part vacuum delay valve or vacuum solanoid valve. NO idea if either is correct, and searches on rockauto and google didn't help much more than O'reilly's or Auto Zone. The carburetor was taken apart and cleaned and my mechanic friend said it seems to be fine.

While driving it those three miles my friend manually choked it and the carb was spitting out a lot of gunk. She almost sputtered out a few times as well even though I was all the way down on the gas. She has run for more than half an hour in idle before, so I know she can run strong, I just hope we can get her there soon and making sure all the parts are proper.

Thanks in advance for any help, I will try and get back to this topic as much as possible, but I am not near steady wifi often, and may not be able to reply right away. Take care!

Okay so after trying to add an image it asked for a URL and these are on my hard drive. I tried drag and drop but that didn't seem to work.

I will load them onto a photobucket link if that is okay?

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/TuttlePierce/library/RV%20stuff

IT is saying my preferences won't show the image through 1492. If anyone else can see it, that's what I need anyway. I also included a photobucket link with 5 of 6 pics of the part. Thanks to both members who helped already with the photo issue. I hope the images are discoverable, thanks again!
7 REPLIES 7

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I am a big fan of MASH...Alan Alda was a great actor in his day and that show had a great cast. The show ended when I was in high school but I watch in on Netflix regularly. Hope you get that part figured out.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

TuttlePierce
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the late reply, and thank you so much for the replies. I am at the library right now, but will be able to check the numbers when I get back to the RV. As for where it was connected I can take a picture of the spot and show you, as well. It had no tubes coming from it, but the one end has where a tube broke off.

I will reply back with more pictures of the space it came from as well as the part number. Thanks again so much for the help so far.

Iraqvet05, yes my screen name is in reference to Hawkeye's imaginary childhood friend. I have used this handle online for about ten years now, and you are honestly the first person to ever comment on it or even recognize it as far as I know. I'm guessing you are a big fan as well? Take care and thanks again to everyone.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you trace where the wires go that plug into the part? That might give some ideas of what it controls.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a transmission controlled spark solenoid but I'm not sure Dodge used them. What is the part number on it? BTW, is your user name from an episode of MASH, TuttlePierce?
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

TuttlePierce
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to both hedge and GMandJM for the help with the pics!

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Courtesy Clicky to OP's PhotoBucket
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
You can host them on photobucket and then insert the tags from photobucket into your post or for an easier method check the link below.

Easy way to post pics
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB