cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mike326
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on an extensive cross-country - VA > CA & back. How can I handle mail, prescriptions, etc?

tkx - CC
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MAIL.. There are many "Store and forward" mail places.. I use one called Postal Depot, but the UPS stores generally provide this type of service.. They will receive mail for you, and put it in a standard post office box.. But if you leave some excess cash with them (Postage account) when you park somewhere for a week you can give 'em a call and they ship a "Care Package" out postal express (or other depending on your preferences).

Prescriptions....

I have two kinds, Non-perishable ones can be sent by my mail order pharmacy to my PO box at Postal Depot and forwarded. OR directly to me at the park. Insulin which needs to be kept cool. Direct to the park.

Other prescriptions (Sometimes the mail order pharmacy is more expensive) I get through Wal*mart.. Wal-mart is nation wide, and when you go in to refill they contact the other store and transfer it.

Even better (though often more expensive) Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid are all nationwide pharmacies.. In many of these (ASK THE PHARMACIST) you can drop off a script in say Detroit, refill it WITHOUT TRANSFER in Las Vegas.. Been there, done that too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Mike326
Sounds like a great trip.
1. Prescriptions - We moved all of our business to Walgreens. They have the best coverage and everything is in their computer.
2. We have gone wireless so all bills show up on computer in email.
3. We have gone 100% to on line banking. Can pay all bills from anywhere.
4. The little bit of mail that is left we have a relative go through.
5. We did get a Post Office box so that our mail does not sit outside.
6. All checks we receive are direct deposit.

Have a great trip
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
For prescriptions I use Rite Aid for that purpose--seem to be everywhere plus they have great ice cream. For mail-our kids live locally--they pick up our mail at our house and send it to me every 2 weeks wherever we might be or if need be-- they are on my bank checking act and can pay the bills. Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
Look to the Full-time RVing forum for some advice. If you plan to do this a lot, you could use a mail-forwarding service. As for prescriptioms, I would transfer them to a pharmaacy that has a national footprint, like Walmart, CVS, or Walgreen.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
1. US Mail will forward your mail to you for a fee. Other people will have better ideas on this.

Here is info on the USPS Mail Service:

USPS Mail Forwarding Service

2. Prescriptions can be refilled at any CVS or Walmart - or have your doctor give you a 3 month supply with 1 refill. If they're Schedule II drugs (Ritalin, etc) then you'll have more trouble. Some Schedule III (think Xanax, Vicodin, Ambien) drugs are getting harder to refill on the road as well and in certain states (Florida for one) you'll need a current, valid ID to pick up your meds. Expect to wait enough time so that they can verify the prescription information. Say, 1 day at least.

At CVS, if you have a refill on your meds, the travel pharmacy can call and verify the refill status w/ the doctor and you'll have no trouble. At least I never have had any problems at CVS.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer