cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your rules for the awning?

cestlaviethree
Explorer
Explorer
Do you leave your awning out when you leave?

Do you trust wind sensors?

Do you use tie downs?

We love the awning's shade and versatility even more in the summer, but we have seen 4 RVs have their awnings ripped off in the last 2 months.

Thanks CLV3

www.cestlaviethree.com

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_PTnoeqCbaPJolUwCEqXiA

Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook...elpage/?fref=nf

Instagram Page:
https://www.instagra...cestlaviethree/
CLV3

Our Blog: www.cestlaviethree.com
82 REPLIES 82

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an electric awning but it doesn't have a wind or rain sensor. If I'm in an open area where wind can be a factor, I pull in the awning for 15+mph steady winds, also if higher gusts are expected.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Awning is out, set up with a huge pitch to one side for drainage. We also have a center bar for extra support. We use awning "flappers" and a double strap - one goes across the entire awning, anchored on both sides, and each end bar has another strap that is anchored in front. In almost 40 years RVing we have never suffered damage to our awning. We also have put it up when strong winds are forecast and have done so very quickly in the middle of the night on a few occasions. Can't imagine not using it! Love sitting out under it with the sound of the rain!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Gee whiz, most of you should just opt out of an awning. I leave mine out with some precautions. Tilted heavily to one end and lowered as much as possible. Three times in 20 years I had to go out and bring it in during a storm but that was only because I became concerned with how hard the wind was blowing. I never leave my site without shutting the water off. I've seen firsthand how quickly that can go bad.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is out for 7 months straight in Florida. Only time it is put up. Is when hurricane warnings are out for the area.

I do use the tie downs with the ground corkscrew and heavy spring.
Plus 2 of those awning flappers on both sides.

No problem yet, but I have only done it the last 17 years.
Awning is on the East side of the MH pointed North.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I've about decided that the awning is one of the more useless items on an RV. When I really need one (rain or expecting rain) to keep a dry spot around the door it's too risky to leave it out for fear of wind. Don't dare leave it up when in bed or away from the RV even if storms aren't close. We do like one sometimes for a sun shelter but still not sure it's worth replacing.
Jayco-noslide

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
tmm2good wrote:
NO
NO
NO

X2
X2
X2

X3
X3
X3
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Not ours....but...

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I may roll up or leave out depending on forecast, wind blockage. I have got up at night and rolled it up. How is this for vagueness? Given your track record I would look into a wind sensor.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
When we leave...close the awning and shut off the water at the spigot.

X1

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having seen wind damage, we never leave the awning deployed if not at the RV and awake.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Was in Rocky Point Mexico when a trailer pulled in with duct tape holding his awning to the side of the trailer.

He said the wind had picked up while in Yuma and tore it completely off at the trailer. He also didn't understand how that could happen since it was strapped down to the ground :S
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
NO, NO, NO.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We had just checked into Cherry Hill Campground right outside DC when a severe storm blew through. Even though the campground asked people not to leave their awnings out, lots of people did (they were site seeing) and there were dozens of damaged awnings after the brief (15 minutes) but intense storm blew through. Power was out in the area for several days from this storm. We rarely use our awning but if we do, we are there. We never leave it unattended.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
No, No, Sometimes.

We spent a week in a campground with trees very close, and what I thought was no possible way for much wind to get to the awning.

On the sixth night, I was literally thrown out of the bed as the wind got under the strongly tied down awning and lifted the side of the trailer.

Some I'm quickly out in the growing thunderstorm, cutting the tiedowns with a sharp kitchen knife so we can roll in the awning.

Looking at the event later - the tiedowns did their job. The outside tube of the awning never moved. But the sail area under the awning was great enough to lift that side of the trailer almost two feet.

As far as leaving the awning - we were in Connecticut for a volunteer job for six months. The first two months we were placed in a commercial campground with a lot of seasonal campers/ rigs. The ones which are placed on a spot and the camper stays their all summer. The family comes in for weekends mostly.

Twice we saw tied down, sloped awnings fail due to rain accumulation. I learned that in a hard enough downpour, even a sloped awning can collect and pool water, enough weight to either break the main tube, or rip the fabric.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
tmm2good wrote:
NO
NO
NO