cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What price at an RV Show (Portland fall show)?

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Portland Fall RV show is coming up in 4 weeks and I am going to be a serious shopper

I know from past experience that Apache sells there and they carry the models/brands I'm looking at (specific Nash and Outdoors RV travel trailers 25-27' with bunk beds - these have wet weights of 7000-10,000 lb).

What is a good/fair price if I am to buy at a show? I have read anything 30% off MSRP or better is a good price. Obviously I'm hoping to get a good deal on a 2017 to save the dealer the trouble of storing it all winter long.

What else would I need to know/do in advance? I have a new tow vehicle (new RAM full ton with CTD payload is 3900 lb) but it doesn't even have a hitch yet as I'm starting from scratch - so let me know what I would need to do in advance to drive home with a trailer that week:

- what kind of hitch to buy;
- does the WDH come attached to the hitch I buy or the trailer I buy;

And what kind of options I'd be looking for to pick up at the show itself or negotiate into the total price.

Anything else I need to know about buying at a show?
21 REPLIES 21

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
yes, it is a loaded full ton cummins and does have brake controller as well as true exhaust brake.

thanks for the tip on pricing, that is helpful.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
avoidcrowds wrote:
Be very careful if your truck did not come with a tow package. Without a tow package, you may have an undersized radiator, no transmission cooler, lighter-weight suspension. You may not be able to tow nearly what you think you will. Your original question sounded like you did not have a hitch at all, not just lacking a weight distribution hitch.

It does. He has a new 1 ton decked out Cummins.
But if it doesn't have trailer brake controller (likely does), I'd throw one of those on first.
Regarding towing it home....I would just hook it and go. Your truck doesn't need weight dist hitch to handle the trailer weight and unless it's horribly unbalanced it better not sway just driving up I-5.
Then tailor your setup to the trailer, if needed, when you have time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
Just an update. Saw an ORV 23DBS which is the model I want (27 feet, bunk model). Listed $42k on sale at show $32k. Think that's a pretty good deal. I didn't try to make a deal, but it doesn't seem a bad place to start.

Thats close to 25% off. 30% off is 29,400. Offer $28,000 then shoot for $30,000. ORV and NW aren't like the big boys in Elhart where they pump out a gizzilion a day. Tighter supply keeps the prices up a bit.
In the end somewhere between 25%-30% off MSRP is decent.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful if your truck did not come with a tow package. Without a tow package, you may have an undersized radiator, no transmission cooler, lighter-weight suspension. You may not be able to tow nearly what you think you will. Your original question sounded like you did not have a hitch at all, not just lacking a weight distribution hitch.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just an update. Saw an ORV 23DBS which is the model I want (27 feet, bunk model). Listed $42k on sale at show $32k. Think that's a pretty good deal. I didn't try to make a deal, but it doesn't seem a bad place to start.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
At most of the shows I've attended, 20+ various places around the country over a dozen years, show prices have not been very different from the prices the same dealers have back at the lot. For really big shows that permit on-site sales, like the Tampa Supershow in January, some manufacturers will send extra stock directly to the show with a sales incentive that might adjust the price slightly downward.

Another source of price breaks at shows will be the lot queens, stock that the dealer has had for a year or more and just has not been able to sell it off the lot. These get brought to shows for exposure to potential customers who would never visit the dealer, and prices are often marked way down so that the dealer has a better chance of not hauling the thing back to sit on his lot.

I find shows useful to see what is out there, but not always useful for gathering information or buying. Factory sales representatives, or regional sales managers, will often show up and work with a dealer; these folks are good for product information, but not for making a deal, they have to find you a salesman working for the dealer. At larger shows the dealers will hire temporary sales people, who might otherwise be selling cars, home warranties, replacement windows or suits. Most cannot be very helpful, and some might be honest enough to tell you that they don't usually sell RVs. If you want to negotiate with them, they usually have to go to the dealer's sales manager for authority.

If you buy at a show, chances are pretty good that you won't be taking the RV away from the show, it will go back to the dealer for pre-delivery prep. Most buyers are not prepared to take the RV away anyway, particularly towables. When a RV is bought at a show, it might be closed up, or it might be left open for more people to look at, because the dealer has more of these to sell back at the dealership. If you buy a $1,500,000 motorcoach, chances are it will get a "sold" tag and locked up. If you buy a $12,000 travel trailer, chances are it will remain open to the end of the show as a model for more sales.

Weight distributing hitch is something you buy separately from either the hitch receiver (if you don't already have one) and your other towing equipment (like trailer brake controller and electrical connections). Dealers will often put together a package deal for the trailer and whatever additional equipment you need for towing. This package usually includes equipment installation and first-time setup of the hitch, which takes some expertise, and teaching you how to do it.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always found I get the best price from a dealer (car, truck or RV) when there isn't a line of buyers waiting for a salesperson to help them like at an RV show. Go to the show to figure out what you want in an RV, then go to the dealer late in the month, on a weekday evening, preferably when it's raining, and you will get you best deal if you can negotiate.

Do your homework first, then go to buy. If you do this backwards, you will not be happy.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Why wait for the show. Just go to the dealer now and see what you can get it for. If it's 25-30% off MSRP then buy it. Unless you've looked at the trailer you're buying already then looking at an RV show is a waste of time. It's really hard to be in one with all the other people in there. You can't really get a feel for how it will be when you spend long days in it out glamping.
They also have them so crammed together that you can't even walk around it to look at fit and finish.
I remember one time I was at a local RV show. The dealer had a sale price sticker hanging in a cabinet. Looked like a good price. As we were checking things out inside, I opened a kitchen drawer. Low and behold there was another sales sticker in it. Guessing they over looked it. The sales price in the drawer was way lower than the sales price hanging on the cabinet.
My advice is to shop the internet and see what other dealers are selling them for.
You can email and call other dealers too.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"does the WDH come attached to the hitch I buy or the trailer I buy;"

Read online for an hour about WDHs then come back with questions. You don't have the basics.

that's what this section is for, those who DON'T have the basics.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, have found show prices no big thing. I've always negotiated the best price with the dealer. The key is to know exactly what you want and to have done a lot of research so you know a fair price. If you try to negotiate blind, the dealer will beat you...that's what he does for a living! Call around, like others have said, see what they will sell it for, play one dealer off another. Don't be in a hurry. The dealers live for a starry eyed buyer that has to have it today. Also know that there is no legit Retail Price like a car. The manufacturer just sets that price at will. So 30% off means nothing because each seller will have a different Retail Price. Good luck. Just find what you want, go home, and then do the research.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's always a few of those guys on every forum. Doesn't bother me, I'm here to learn the basics.

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"does the WDH come attached to the hitch I buy or the trailer I buy;"

Read online for an hour about WDHs then come back with questions. You don't have the basics.

Dang pretty sure this the beginning RV section cut the guy some slack..
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Definitely a newbie. I know what units I'm looking for and I've read but never owned, driven, towed, etc. And I'm no good at negotiating and tend to be too trusting.

Any extremely experienced RV owners/buyers want to negotiate my rig for me for a small fee?

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
We got a great price...35% off sticker...at a show. Had shopped this dealer for quite some time and they knew we were serious buyers.

Made the deal at the show, but we wanted a different color interior.
They had one that had just arrived at the dealership. They got it ready, and called us. When we arrived it was plugged in, awning out, with the air and TVs on. We were invited to inspect it and all systems thoroughly, by ourselves. We asked for roof vent covers to be added before delivery. They agreed. After another PDI the following day with one of their techs, we wrote the check, signed the papers, and drove away. A surprising easy and no stress experience.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b