cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 1/2" hitch shank

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
My truck/trailer set up requires an extended shank, 14". I have a 2" square shank and a sleeve to fit my 2 1/2" receiver. I would like to replace the shank with a 2 1/2" shank of the same length but have been unable to find any extended 2 1/2" shanks. I have tried E Trailer, Curt, Reese and Equalizer to no avail. Does anyone know of such a shank?
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
10 REPLIES 10

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
sfpcservice wrote:
http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/83/Shanks

Looks like they have some 14" options. Not sure if you were looking for just a shank and ball, or a WD shank like the ones on this page.
Guess I didn't make myself clear, one more of my faults, it is a WD shank. The Curt 14" options are 2" square shanks.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with a 2 1/2 inch shank and you need the TT moved due to truck failure, you will need to find someone with a class 5 hitch. Keep the 2 inch and use the sleeve. been using mine for 2 years now with no issues.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
I found a 2 1/2" to 2" extension that was an open box item on Amazon.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
I had the same problem. I ended up having someone weld in the 2" sleeve into my 2 1/2" receiver and stayed with the 2" square shank.

if you have a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch setup, I heard that Blue Ox will send you a 2.5" shank. I didn't find that out until I had already implemented the above solution.

Mike

Yep, they did it for me.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
As asked, 14" for drop or for length? If length, does the shank itself need to be 1;" from pin hole to head mounting bolt holes? I ask because Reese has the Titan 2.(" shank which is 15" long from pin hole to ball. Obviously that length varies slightly due to the hitch head angle.

If drop, call a hitch shop for a custom shank. Or try on eBay, I think it is R&P Carriages that advertises hitch shanks.

Good luck!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/83/Shanks

Looks like they have some 14" options. Not sure if you were looking for just a shank and ball, or a WD shank like the ones on this page.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
martipr wrote:
My truck/trailer set up requires an extended shank, 14". I have a 2" square shank and a sleeve to fit my 2 1/2" receiver.

Do you mean it needs to extend 14" out from the receiver or you need 14" of drop?

I had to purchase an extended drop shank for my WD system when I bought my '14 Ram 2500. I got mine through Etrailer which was an Equalizer 10", 6" drop 2 1/2" shank. I first tried a sleeve adapter but found it was extremely sloppy, that's why I got a dedicated 2 1/2" shank.

However, as was suggested, several people have either made sleeves or bought sleeves and welded them to their WD shank with very good results. If you have a shank that is the right length & drop welding on a sleeve may be your best solution.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I been using my sleeve for four years with zero problems. I also use a 36" inch extension made out of 2 inch material with no problems. I wonder where a guy would get a 2.5 inch shank also?
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same problem. I ended up having someone weld in the 2" sleeve into my 2 1/2" receiver and stayed with the 2" square shank.

if you have a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch setup, I heard that Blue Ox will send you a 2.5" shank. I didn't find that out until I had already implemented the above solution.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
YOu mightjust find a good metal shop and have them fit it for you. sounds abit different?