cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

20 inch vs 22 inch rims - any difference to towing?

CanuckCamper29
Explorer
Explorer
I moved my stock 20 inch rims on to a set of winter tires and I'm looking to get a new set of rims for my summer / towing setup. Obviously my stock all season rubber is 20 inch.

I've looked at a bunch of rims and have a few in mind. My favourite ones are 22 inch which would involve new rubber (and more cost).

Is there a difference between 20 and 22 inch rims from a towing perspective?

Opinions welcome.
Thanks,
CC
2013 F150 Lariat SCREW
ProPride 3P
2013 Sunset Trail 29SS
14 REPLIES 14

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Wow My F250 has 16's how weird am I?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi camp-n. In my case (Ford), there is no tow rating reduction with getting the optional wheel/tire package. Actually, you get an additional #100 of rear GAWR by actually getting the 20" wheels for my 2013 F150. I've got a #4050 RGAWR and I've seen where the 17" and 18" wheel F150's of the same year only have #3950 RGAWR.

Back a few years, I did see where you got a #500 tow rating hit if you got the larger diameter wheel/tire package from Ford. That is not the case now since around 2010, or maybe a few years earlier??

Anyway, in my owners manual, there is no distinction between tow ratings based on the size of the wheels. It's all about gear ratio, drive train, cab config and if you have the Max Tow option and/or the HD payload option.

I figured I'd be getting some LT tires after my first tow! But, I found that since the overall height of the tire is still basically the same as the 17" and 18" OEM tires of ~ 32" it's all about the load rating of the wheel/tire combo that matters now. My 20" wheel/tire combo is basically the same height as the standard 17" wheel/tire combo.. The diffence is the sidewall height of the tire. My 20" tires have a shorter sidewall height than the 17" tire has.

I like that... ๐Ÿ™‚ Not as much room for the tire to squirm around with a shorter sidewall.

Anyway, good discussion and I've learned a lot since I had an old 97 F150 with 16" wheels that I had to get LT tires because it had such a tall sidewall to make the 32" overall height that seems to be the standard "stock" height of tires coming out of the OEM.. Well, the Ford Raptor has 35" tall tires, but that's a totally different truck, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
You might be able to find another set of OEM wheels on Craigslist.
If you go aftermarket, verify the load rating before buying them.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
So, camp-n, are you saying that if it's an available OEM option it's still not "stock" if you drive that vehicle off the lot? My little ol' F150 XLT has the optional 20" wheels from Ford, so isn't that still a 'stock' truck in sense of the term?

By what you are saying, anything over a white, vinyl floor covered truck with roll up windows and manual door locks is "stock"... Which is what I call a "base" truck.. All of my trucks ratings is based on how it left the assembly line, and that was with the optional 20" wheels.

Just going from what the manufacturer website states. Ford shows 17s as standard across all trim lines, 18s and 20s are optional. Couldn't find anything regarding an option for 20s on GMs site.

Yes you can get larger rims on upgraded trim levels and special edition models but at what cost? (and I'm not talking $$) Those models all have lower ratings. Show me where that's not in part due to rim/tire size. You want a truck with the highest payload and tow ratings? They come with smaller rims, not 22s.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
So, camp-n, are you saying that if it's an available OEM option it's still not "stock" if you drive that vehicle off the lot? My little ol' F150 XLT has the optional 20" wheels from Ford, so isn't that still a 'stock' truck in sense of the term?

By what you are saying, anything over a white, vinyl floor covered truck with roll up windows and manual door locks is "stock"... Which is what I call a "base" truck.. All of my trucks ratings is based on how it left the assembly line, and that was with the optional 20" wheels.

Mitch

I think there is some confusion between stock and standard/optional and base model. You are correct. Your 20's are indeed stock and an option.

Acutually I believe 20's are standard on the Ford Limited model. But this is not the base Ford Truck model either.

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
...Ram and Chevy/GMC don't even offer 20s on their HD trucks.

That's not true. The GMC Sierra Denali HD is offered with Factory 20" wheels.

http://www.gmc.com/sierra-2500hd-denali-pickup-truck.html#Exterior

So does the Chevy Silverado 2500 HD - High Country package:

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-2500hd-heavy-duty-trucks/specs/trims.html

There was a time when the 20" & 22" wheels & tires were limited in their weight ratings, but as they've gone mainstream now there are plenty of available tires and wheels in these sizes with the same load ratings.
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
As far as Ford goes only the XL comes with 17s. XLT, and Lariat come with 18s, and King Ranch and Platinum come with 20s..... Those aren't options, it's what comes on the truck with each respective trim package.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:

Larger rims will usually have lower weight ratings. Most HD trucks come with 18" rims for a reason.

Nope. My F250 came stock with 20s. In fact most HD trucks above the most basic trim levels will have 20s.

You might want to check again. You might have 20s but they aren't stock. All HD Fords have 17s as "stock", 18s and 20s are optional. Ram and Chevy/GMC don't even offer 20s on their HD trucks.
Hitched by Hensley

CanuckCamper29
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm probably going to keep the 20" rubber, as it is still in good shape, and find some 20" rims to match.

CC
2013 F150 Lariat SCREW
ProPride 3P
2013 Sunset Trail 29SS

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Larger rims will usually have lower weight ratings. Most HD trucks come with 18" rims for a reason.

Nope. My F250 came stock with 20s. In fact most HD trucks above the most basic trim levels will have 20s.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
A 22, with same overall diameter as the 20, would have less sidewall which translates to less ride comfort but better handling due to the reduced tire squirm side-to-side. Verify the load carrying capacity, of course.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I'd prefer to tow with 20's over 22's myself but you could do a 305/45r22 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and not lose any load rating. We put simple leveling kits (2" Ready lift) which enables you to do a 20x9, offset around a +18 with a 33x12.50/20 ( Nitto, Toyo, Mickey Thonpson....). In 22's the same but most 22's will be 22x9.5, look at Fuel wheels, XD, Moto Metal....in these sizes the 22's will ride just as good as the 20's and the wheel and tire selection very similar. With the mild 2" leveling kit you can run a 285/50r22E Terra G2. Your good either way, good luck!
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer

If you stick with the same overall tire diameter, meaning you'd have to go with a lower profile sidewall, you won't see any degradation in performace but the ride will be harsher. If you upsize tire diameter you will see a loss in performance as you are effectively changing the gear ratio.

With 22s you will also be much more limited in tire selection and they will cost more.
Hitched by Hensley