cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2002 Newmar Kountry Star reoccurring electrical problem

deebailey1956
Explorer
Explorer
Newmar motor home keeps blowing out 110 appliances. Battery charger, microwave, refrigerator. If I plug in one of these devices, they will be unusable before the day is out. I must run a separate 110 supply to use them. Once I put a protection plugin on my refrigerator and the new evening happen to look up and it was catching on fire. Luckily, I saw it in time to unplug it. Does anyone know what can be done to fix this? Probably replace the charger 6 time on the last 3 years. Now I never plug it into the RV.
14 REPLIES 14

deebailey1956
Explorer
Explorer
Had an electrician come out and they could not find anything wrong. When he looked at the automatic transfer switch he pushed on the contact box on the right and it made a loud clicking noise. We are thinking we should have them replace it. It is a 50amp LYGHT.

deebailey1956
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great input!
have a licensed electrician schedule to look into the issue Monday. Iโ€™m hopeful he will find an issue with the neutral or something.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
For testing purposes, plug in using a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter. That puts voltage on both legs, but it is the same phase so there is zero voltage between the two hot wires.

Now, you can look for wherever there is no current/reduced current/low voltage without risking damage to anything plugged in from 240v. A loose neutral under those conditions will just look like an open circuit or loose connection.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
You have a loose neutral condition. You are applying 240 volts to 120 volt circuits. This is a VERY unsafe condition and should have been fixed 3 years ago. Call a qualified electrician. he does not need to be an RV tech. Is this happening at home or in a camp ground? Does this happen when on your generator? Please answer these questions.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You must mean it is a "converter" only.
You must have an energy management system. Look in cabinet above entrance for control. IFf you are connected to 50 amp shore power it should be set as such. Make and model of energy management system. It could be owner's manual.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

deebailey1956
Explorer
Explorer
It is just a charger. I've had all kinds of chargers but right now it is only a 65 amp, have put in 100 amp, 200 amps. One guy thought I needed to up the amps to keep from blowing it out so he said put in the 100amp. There is some kind of regulator in the electrical department that shows the amps on each line. Not sure what its called

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is the rig setup with an inverter?
Is the appliances with issue connected to inverter?
Is it an inverter/charger? Make and model?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Yes a bad neutral anywhere from the power distribution panel on up to the source can cause high voltage on one of the lines.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

deebailey1956
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about getting a reliable repair person. At Camping World they just replaced the charger.

At least I have a few suggestions to look into. Thanks for that

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You should take this to a repair facility....about 3 years ago.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Monitor voltage and check for lose connections especially on the neutral. Look for heat related damage such as discolored insulation in the main breaker panel and the transfer switch.

I would test with a resistance load on each side of the panel such as space heater or hair dryer. Monitor voltage at the panel (both sides) as you adjust the heat levels on each side.

Bit of a methodical process to divide, eliminate, and isolate this sort of issue. You may need an electrician.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely it's a open/partial open neutral on 50A. I got 160V on a 30A pedestal one time.

Beg/borrow/steal/buy a voltmeter and post the AC voltage. If 50A post both hot line voltages. Measure inside the rig as this could be a rig or pedestal problem.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

deebailey1956
Explorer
Explorer
No its 50 amp. When its plugged in to 50amp both ACs work fine. Its like a random surge hits and knocks out the battery charger or what ever is plugged in. I finally learned to not plug anything in

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Is this plugged in to a home 30 amp outlet? Sounds like a miswired outlet, wired for 240 vac instead of 30 amp 120 vac.
-- Chris Bryant