cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 AMP Tents

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Took a stroll around my loop in a state park campground and observed some strange behaviour. The loop is less than 30% full with a mix of tent sites, 30 AMP and a much smaller selection of 50 AMP sites. 100% of the 50 AMP contained tents. Iโ€™ll walk the other loop this weekend to see what happens when the campground is booked nearly solid.
79 REPLIES 79

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
A 50 amp site is a (upto) 50 amp site, regardless of what you are in. If they pay for a site, it is theirs to use whether they are in a sleeping bag, tent, 5vr or Prevost. It matters not whether others like it or not.

Great point......could that be the reason that the vast majority of power pedestals on what are listed as 50 amp sites have a duplex 20 amp receptacle, a 30 amp receptacle, and a 50 amp receptacle? Or is the duplex 20 for the party lights on someone with a Prevosts awning?

"All about me folks" ROFLMAO!!!!

It sure seems those are the folks in the 50 amp rigs. Despite having one I have yet to be triggered when I can not reserve a 50 amp site because its already reserved, or show up and some are taken by a tent, a popup, or a converted minivan. The demographic of these boards makes this whole thread not a surprise.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Canโ€™t believe folks canโ€™t understand that there is a shortage of 50 amp sites and it might be considerate to only use what you need, but the โ€œall about meโ€ group is out in force. I knew when I posted my observation that the group would take that sad stance. ๐Ÿ˜ž

"All about me group" is this the pot calling the kettle black?

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Canโ€™t believe folks canโ€™t understand that there is a shortage of 50 amp sites and it might be considerate to only use what you need, but the โ€œall about meโ€ group is out in force. I knew when I posted my observation that the group would take that sad stance. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Maybe this will be judged as "off Topic" but to point out the same idea.
Canโ€™t believe folks canโ€™t understand that there is a shortage of 50 amp sites PARKING SPOTS FOR TRUCKERS TO GET THEIR REST and it might be considerate to only use what you need,A CAMPGROUND TRUCKS CAN'T USE but the โ€œall about meโ€ group is out in force. I knew when I posted my observation that the group would take that sad stance.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
There are numerous 30 AMP sites available, I just thought that it was a shame that others are denied the precious few 50 AMP sites that probably were reserved on the first day allowed. I need to brush up on the โ€œitโ€™s all about meโ€ thing.

You're saying because someone spent more money on their camping equipment they deserve a 50a site more than a tenter? Yes, that is the "all about me" mindset.

x2

agree with beemer's comment ... just because someone has a six figure rig, they are more entitled to certain spots?

I get the impression a lot of folks calling it a "waste" of a spot, and indicating park management made some mistake not reserving that spot for a big rig feel the same entitlement.

Regarding the "shortage" of 50 amp spots ... what entitles anyone to 12,000 watts of electrical service? Learn some conservation maybe, so sorry you can't run your three AC units, your four televisions and do a load of wash at the same time.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Unless you know for a fact that these sites would have been used if not already occupied, don't be so quick to judge.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
This would be up to the campground to have restrictions and enforce them.
I don't blame the user.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
down home wrote:
We've seen the same things. They get away with because the Camp Hoasts let them,..usually,until someone says something. They like the larger spaces necessary for Big RVs...and then there is the nut factor. Soem do it op purpose because they resent and or don't want RVs near them, in their camp ground etc..and ocuppying the Big RV space the RVs can't usually fit in the tent sites around them giving them lots of space.
So have you actually talked to these people and gotten all this information, or is this just your opinions and bias speaking out?

I've occasionally wondered why someone puts a tent where they do, but in all honesty, I don't really care. As long as it doesn't affect me I let them do as they please. Life's too short to fret about such things.

I did not do an interview but did have conversations with Camp Hosts in one instance and watched Tn Park Rangers remove tent campers from an RV site and the very loud exchange. And n a couple in Michigan.
We don't run into it now as Tn Campgrounds won't play that game and we stay at Private RV Parks and Resorts.
Last instance I think was Corps of Engineer run campground on Center Hill now some years ago.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
A 50 amp site is a (upto) 50 amp site, regardless of what you are in. If they pay for a site, it is theirs to use whether they are in a sleeping bag, tent, 5vr or Prevost. It matters not whether others like it or not.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a waste that the sites were occupied? As opposed to only being occupied by the "rightful renters"?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
After only a day or two, only one tent and one popup remains in the 50 AMP area, I suppose the now open sites will not be used for the remainder of the weekend. Seems like quite a waste. I just talked to the campground host and he doesnโ€™t like the wasteful use of the limited number of 50 AMP sites, but he stopped in to talk about the dogs in this no pet loop. He said that the dog owners always pull the service animal scam and he nor the rangers are allowed to ask for papers. Yes, a dog owner pulled his dog back from me saying he canโ€™t trust it, and the host was right there.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
We've seen the same things. They get away with because the Camp Hoasts let them,..usually,until someone says something. They like the larger spaces necessary for Big RVs...and then there is the nut factor. Soem do it op purpose because they resent and or don't want RVs near them, in their camp ground etc..and ocuppying the Big RV space the RVs can't usually fit in the tent sites around them giving them lots of space.

I have yet to see a campground, be it state, fed, ACOE etc., that have a site with electric only or FHU's sandwiched between undeveloped tent sites. Maybe at the end of a loop where the utilities stop you may have 1. The utilities are installed from site to site without skipping sites. I have also never seen a rule at any public campground stating a person with a tent has to take an undeveloped site or denying them a developed site. A person with a tent has just as much right to take a FHU or electric only site as a person with a Prevost. They both pay the same price. If the tenter reserved it first so be it, reserve earlier or go to commercial campgrounds where they assign you your site and you know what you get in advance if you take issue with it. I have hosted at numerous public campgrounds and assigning sites based on what RV a person has was never a responsibility nor have I seen it done anywhere.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
If a large MH runs one A/C continuous and a tent runs one A/C continuous they will use the same electricity assuming the A/C units are the same capacity.

Actual comfort might depend on size and insulation but both draw the same power.
This is very true, but when was the last time you saw a large motorhome with only one AC? Most of the ones I've see usually have three.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If a large MH runs one A/C continuous and a tent runs one A/C continuous they will use the same electricity assuming the A/C units are the same capacity.

Actual comfort might depend on size and insulation but both draw the same power.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Funny how the old farts call the youngins snowflakes and then show their own all about ME tendencies....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold