cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 AMP Tents

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Took a stroll around my loop in a state park campground and observed some strange behaviour. The loop is less than 30% full with a mix of tent sites, 30 AMP and a much smaller selection of 50 AMP sites. 100% of the 50 AMP contained tents. Iโ€™ll walk the other loop this weekend to see what happens when the campground is booked nearly solid.
79 REPLIES 79

dedmiston
And speaking of do-unto-others, I apologize for publicly calling you cranky. I think everyone is under a lot of pressure these days and that was unkind of me.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
4x4van wrote:
Or do we both need a nap?:W

I could TOTALLY use a nap. :B

Sorry 4x4. It was just an observation after I had seen a few of your posts in other threads yesterday, but I stand by my "cranky" assessment. There's no harm in being a touch cranky from time to time though. Cranky is actually pretty mild compared to a lot of members' tones.

And as far as my comment yesterday, it looks like mine is a minority viewpoint. I still stand behind it though as part of a general do-undo-others philosophy, just like I avoid using the handicap stall in the men's room and I don't push my cart into the express checkout lane even though it doesn't say 15 Items or Less anymore.

There are a lot of things that I'm allowed to do but I avoid doing because they seem wrong to me. We all have our own compasses though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
Maybe I'm a little dense too. Or maybe 4x4van just needs a nap. Based on 4x4van's comments in other threads, it seems to me that he/she is a little cranky.

As far as 50a sites go, I'd be upset if I pulled up to a park and there wasn't any room for me because tenters took all the 50a sites. If all the tent sites were full and they just took what's left, then there wouldn't be anything for me to complain about. But if they took the 50a sites instead of tent sites, then I'd be upset with them and mad at the park.

I pull a triple axle fifth wheel and my selection of spaces is limited. While a tenter could camp just about anywhere, I can only park in the long spaces (typically 50a). So if they take the 50a spaces, then I'm probably out of luck. I would never dream of taking their spaces and edging them out when we could easily all have our own spaces where they get theirs and I get mine. That's an "AND", not an "OR", which equates to an "US" and not a "ME".
Wow. A nap? Cranky? And this from a "moderator"? My comment was just a simple observation, nothing more, and was echoed by several other respondents in this thread. Were they also accused of being cranky or needing a nap? It just seemed to me that the OP was actually modeling the "all about me" attitude that they were complaining about. Maybe I'm wrong.

My point is that every one's money spends the same, and everyone has the same opportunity to get their preferred site. While you are correct that a "tenter could camp just about anywhere", that seems to suggest the idea that they don't "deserve" the nicer, larger, or better-located spots because they are "only tenters". It is not the tenters' fault that you have decided to rough it in a triple axle 5er, nor is it their responsibility to make sure that you have a site to put your "oversize" tent in. Perhaps the 50A sites are nicer. Perhaps they are closer to the amenities that they want. Perhaps those were the only sites that were available for the duration of their stay and adjoining to others in their group and they didn't want to move or to be separated from their fellow campmates.

To suggest that I need a nap seems to be a bit...cranky? Or do we both need a nap?:W
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
You have to reserve the sites in many and now most cases. They reserve them as RVs and of course are tenters. I'm not sure how the parks deal with them in Corps. Tn state parks,that I'm aware of don't allow such shennigans..RVers deserve equal treatment...and RV site are for RVs.

This is confusing. Equal treatment? They have equal treatment. They can reserve or select that site like everyone else.

Who do you propose is the arbiter of deserving? Pop-ups. They can clearly fit in a tent site. 50 amp RV's with one AC. They don't need the extra capacity. What about those with two AC's but only use fans. Do you really want to go down that road of who is more deserving. Or is it easier to leave it as it is. Where everyone currently DOES have equal treatment. Life is not like Charlie where you deserve it because you want it more.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For maximum choice and flexibility skip the RV and just bring your tent.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to reserve the sites in many and now most cases. They reserve them as RVs and of course are tenters. I'm not sure how the parks deal with them in Corps. Tn state parks,that I'm aware of don't allow such shennigans..RVers deserve equal treatment...and RV site are for RVs.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
Maybe I'm a little dense too. Or maybe 4x4van just needs a nap. Based on 4x4van's comments in other threads, it seems to me that he/she is a little cranky.

As far as 50a sites go, I'd be upset if I pulled up to a park and there wasn't any room for me because tenters took all the 50a sites. If all the tent sites were full and they just took what's left, then there wouldn't be anything for me to complain about. But if they took the 50a sites instead of tent sites, then I'd be upset with them and mad at the park.

I pull a triple axle fifth wheel and my selection of spaces is limited. While a tenter could camp just about anywhere, I can only park in the long spaces (typically 50a). So if they take the 50a spaces, then I'm probably out of luck. I would never dream of taking their spaces and edging them out when we could easily all have our own spaces where they get theirs and I get mine. That's an "AND", not an "OR", which equates to an "US" and not a "ME".
Some campgrounds are pretty egalitarian: "You pays yer money, you takes yer cherce".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Having a 50 amp RV is not a disability. Let them fight for first come first served like everyone else.

dedmiston
nickthehunter wrote:
I reserve early, that way I get to pick the best site. When you go to the store and there are 3 pineapples, all the same price, a good one, an ok one, one and a bad one; do you take the bad one and save the good one for the next guy. Me neither

If I grab a product off the shelf and the shopper next to me says, "Oh, you got the last gluten free item and I'm gluten intolerant", I toss them the item and grab something else that I can take. We both get something nice and everybody is happy.

("Gluten free" is probably a bad example, because I don't have much sympathy for a made up condition unless they really have celiac disease.)

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
dedmiston wrote:

I reserve early, that way I get to pick the best site. When you go to the store and there are 3 pineapples, all the same price, a good one, an ok one, one and a bad one; do you take the bad one and save the good one for the next guy. Me neither

dedmiston

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
There are numerous 30 AMP sites available, I just thought that it was a shame that others are denied the precious few 50 AMP sites that probably were reserved on the first day allowed. I need to brush up on the โ€œitโ€™s all about meโ€ thing.
No need, it appears that you already have the "it's all about me" thing down pat.:R

Please explain, Iโ€™m a little dense.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
There are numerous 30 AMP sites available, I just thought that it was a shame that others are denied the precious few 50 AMP sites that probably were reserved on the first day allowed. I need to brush up on the โ€œitโ€™s all about meโ€ thing.
No need, it appears that you already have the "it's all about me" thing down pat.:R
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

You're saying because someone spent more money on their camping equipment they deserve a 50a site more than a tenter? Yes, that is the "all about me" mindset.

I was thinking the same thing. Would they feel the same shame if the 50 amp sites were full of high dollar class A's? Would they be pondering the plight of those with even bigger class A's deprived of those spots. Funny how some can wrap their minds up in knots just trying to keep everyone in neat class buckets and attributing what they are allowed to do or enjoy based on that class. Would the same attitude or inquisitive thoughts hold true in a rustic campground that had rv's in addition to tents. Why are those RV's taking up space so clearly the domain of tents.