cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6-way connector + question

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I need to wire up the 6 way connector on my truck. I’ve got all the other wires figured out. I don’t have my MH or the cable at home yet. Looking on line it shows the middle pin to be the batt +. Just want to confirm, maybe someone has there’s they can verify for me.
When I do have the RV home the truck won’t be because my son will have it moving his stuff to his apartment and we are driving down and will tow it back. I would like it all set up before then.
Thanks
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
11 REPLIES 11

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This is what some install to prevent toad brake lights coming on.
Brake lite relay
Brake lights from toad will only come on when equipped with auxiliary brake system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Even with this done. I was thinking even before this, what are the chances I’ll be stopping at the exact same time I’m changing lanes?

I can't tell you how, but cars and light trucks spend extra money making the complicated switch in column so 1 or more brake lights is on when turn signal is working.
Could you add a switch to cut power to toad brakelight switch?

Yes, I could add a relay to cut power, but I didn’t want to have the chance at a relay failing and not having brake lights. Although when this kind of relay fails it is a normally closed relay so it’s always defaulted to complete the circuit.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even with this done. I was thinking even before this, what are the chances I’ll be stopping at the exact same time I’m changing lanes?

I can't tell you how, but cars and light trucks spend extra money making the complicated switch in column so 1 or more brake lights is on when turn signal is working.
Could you add a switch to cut power to toad brakelight switch?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
So my next issue is/was figuring out how to have the brake lights not over ride the RV brake lights wired into the truck. With the Brake Buddy when it activates my brake lights will come on, which will over ride the turn signal if I’m changing lanes. I didn’t want to wire in a relay, and cut even more of the trucks wiring. So I used a red LED in the back up light housing. It only works when the MH is connected. So now when I’m stopping, you can still see a flashing bulb on either side.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is good! Go by standard wiring diagrams.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Next question!
Does your MH have amber turn signals or turn/brake red lights?

It has regular red brake/turn signal. Same for the truck.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Next question!
Does your MH have amber turn signals or turn/brake red lights?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you!
The RV has the 7 pin. The truck has the 6 pin. That’s how the coiled umbilicals cord is made. Just need to wire the 6 way at the front of the truck.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I kinda agree, use the 7 connecter. That way if something happens you can plug in any trailer, and the plug or socket will be available in next town if you damage it.

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my coach only came with a six pin connector so maybe his also came that way. I only use five of the wires to tow my Cherokee for the turn/brake, running and ground connection. I use the fifth wire to active the towed brake application light i installed on my coach dash so that when the towed brake pedal is activated the LED light informs me they are applied. Don't want an inadvertent application going undetected and destroying the brakes on the jeep or worse causing enough heat to set a tire on fire. I don't remember what pin I used as Gulf Stream or the previous owner had only four wires in my six pin socket.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is wiring diagram.
Six pin has 12-volts DC in center pin.
Why are you using six pin and not the seven pin? Roadmaster 146-7

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow