cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A/C gasket should be how tight

path1
Explorer
Explorer
The a/c gasket should be high tight? I've heard: until the gasket compresses a little bit, watch and tighten. I've heard: no more than 10 psi. I've heard: put it on and check when its raining or garden hose and tighten to get leak to stops ie water tight.
Anybody have text book answer or will these real life answers work best? And would you put lock tight on threads? (If I can get my fingers in there?)
First a/c gasket I ever bought in all years of RVing. Never knew the cost, overpriced IMO, like $47.00
Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
10 REPLIES 10

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know how tight, but I had two installed this afternoon. Paid a mobile tech $32each pluss labor
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
My rule of thumb is to use a 1/4" drive socket set and snug them up. The 1/4" set doesn't let you man handle the nuts too much. I tighten mine once a year. -Remember, 2-3 complete turns on a nut only moves the nut about 1/8" to 1/4". You should be able to snug them up with a couple of turns unless its been years since they've been tightened.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

shooted
Explorer
Explorer
rugerguy wrote:
Locktite will not help
the bolts get loose because the gasket compreses.
Make a habit of checking them at the begining of the season and when you winterize.
I think my manual says to replace every 3 to 4 years.
It seems like in these days of space travel they could find a better material to make a gasket from.

On inspection of mine, I found all the bolts were loose and it appeared as though the gasket had never been compressed at all. I applied a thread locker and tightened the hardware in an x pattern until I saw slight compression of the gasket all the way around. I did not even have a leak when I found this, I was sealing up the ductwork.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
eHoefler wrote:
14 inch pounds is what is in the Dometic installation manual.

BE CAREFUL I don't think that number is correct. On page 15 on the installations manual for the Dometic
520 Series DUO-THERM HP
530 Series DUO-THERM HP heat pump
579 Series Brisk Air
590 Series Brisk Air
591 Series Heat Pump
595 Series Quick Cool
600 Series Penguin
630 Series Penguin

A/Cs and heat pumps

Evenly tighten mounting bolts to compress gasket
to 1/2" this will be a torque of 40 - 50 inch pounds.

Therefore I would use the 1/2" for a new gasket and the 40-50 inch pounds for one that is loose or is leaking. IMPORTANT - you will need a special torque wrench since that 40-50 inch pounds is a very low torque that most wrenches except for those for tranny pans aren't accurate at those torques.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
14 inch pounds is what is in the Dometic installation manual.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
1" roof A/C gasket should be tightened to 1/2".....tighten the 4 hold down bolts in an 'X' pattern evenly
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rugerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Locktite will not help
the bolts get loose because the gasket compreses.
Make a habit of checking them at the begining of the season and when you winterize.
I think my manual says to replace every 3 to 4 years.
It seems like in these days of space travel they could find a better material to make a gasket from.
99 Ford F-250 Superduty
2010 Jayco 298 RLS Eagle

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
did a search on google and the price was around $19 each

14X14 A/C GASKET for RV

I ordered one from DYERS about two years ago for about that same price as I recall.

My new gasket was compressed about 1/4-inch all the way around by adjusting the four long screws. I replaced mine because it was only about 1/2-inch thick. The new one was over one inch thick. I guess they lose their thickness over time...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, just checked price of what I need ppl motorhomes has them for $35

AIR CONDITIONER GASKET - 14 X 16 - FOR SOME COLEMAN...Regularly $56.95 On Sale for Only $35.01
Manufacturer #: 67923301 $35.01

That is my life story. Paying to much!
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
$47 you got to be kidding, we sold them for $8 each. But they are right , it is a trial and error type fitting. I know one customer we had, bought three before he got it right.