185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
nothing to see here
69 REPLIES 69

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
At the age of 16 I started to wash my 6 cylinder ford engine using diesel oil that my dad used in his business. One time I sprayed but was in a hurry to see my friend so I didn't let it dry but as the engine warmed up in the middle of the town in East Wenatchee wa I started to smell smoke. Looking in the rear view mirror the town was blue. Never did that trick again but I keep our duramax looking close to new after getting home in April. Az dust is easy to clean off.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
185EZ wrote:
Amazing how sensitive people are about keeping their engine dirty.
The original question was "how many "clean" their engine?"

You've been around long enough to know that topic would get smelly real quick.
Don't get all sanctimonious.

Lol,
I think ALL topics end up in some sort of different way.
Good thing i didn't ask which oil do you use.:E

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"And I'm sensitive? LOL"

I'm thinkin so :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've had several 70s and 80s vintage vehicles leave me stranded after washing out the engine compartment. It was always electrical related. Now I do it only when I work on them, which getting rare. I put 100s of thousands of miles on them all with no reliability issues related to cleaning.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey man, you asked the questions, I just answered them. And I'm sensitive? LOL

Almost all the people who answered that they don't clean their engines simply said they didn't and gave their reasons. Most of the posters that said they did clean their engines took the time to comment on the people who don't, including you.

Life is so much better when people aren't too judgemental.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
185EZ wrote:

You've been around long enough to know that topic would get smelly real quick.
Don't get all sanctimonious.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not concerned if you want to do it a different way and I don't care.
This thread wasn't about trying to change anyone's mind.
If you're not worrying about anyone else's then why are you here?
I bet you spend time being obsessed with other things that I wouldn't understand either but I wouldn't be here telling you you're crazy and you shouldn't do it just because i'm not.
I would simply turn the page but some people are too stubborn to do that.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I give mine a wash every couple of years. Never had an electrical problem because of it on any vehicle I've owned.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Wonder what other people do that don't clean their engines"

Mostly not worry about what other people do with their engines.

"Do you only clean the interior of your windows and not the exterior?"

Mostly, the outside either gets clean when it rains, or when I finally make it to the car wash.

"Does the dirty engine at a car show get you more excited?"

I love looking at the clean engine bay in a hot rod, but since I don't display my car at car shows, I don't worry how my engine looks.

OTOH I do wonder why people are so concerned when someone does something other than the way they do it. I simply don't care if someone wants to wash their engine. I don't wash mine, and don't worry about anyone else's. But I do kind of worry about the obsession engine washers seem to have over someone else not washing their engine. Kind of borderline worrisome.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing the different opinions.
Wonder what other people do that don't clean their engines
Do you only clean the interior of your windows and not the exterior?
Does the dirty engine at a car show get you more excited?
Even though i try to keep my engine clean I still get dirt under my fingernails and that's all good too.;)

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
The only sage advice my Grandpa gave me that I can remember, "Clean engines run better." It has worked for me for 53 years since he told me. I take a rain coat and hit the coin operated wash.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Hahaha....I hose/pressure wash out the engine compartment of Red a few times a year to keep it "cleaner" and have had this truck since 2010. It has NEVER not started after being cleaned this way. I've only had 1 vehicle that hated wet weather and it was a 1971 Ranchero Cobra-Jet. The hood-scoop seal used to drip all over the distributor causing a misfire. Simple change to an aftermarket sealed unit and it was cured.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my mind there is a big difference between some moisture in the air and physically drowning the motor from a hose. Even in a pouring rain, most of the delicate electronics are fairly well protected, that's why there's sealing stuff around the hood, and inner fender wells.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airstreamer67 wrote:
Especially today's engines: putting water on them risks about a million little sensors, any one of which can stop you deader than roadkill in the middle of nowhere.

I am not sure I will subscribe to that notion. Any connector under the hood needs to be weather tolerant. Not all cars spend their lives in the sun-belt. A lot of them spend time in the rust-belt and are still plenty reliable. And I would think this would be a bigger problem with older cars with older style connectors rather than with newer cars and modern connectors.

Consider upcoming Christmas travel from Seattle. Cars left out in the Pacific NW rain in the airport economy parking lot for a couple weeks. All that dampness permeating the engine compartment. They still fire up and drive away with no problems. I don't see hosing down my engine compartment on a dry day with a warm (not hot) engine compartment to be all that much different. Especially if I drive it for a bit afterward to dry it out good.

The million little sensors are all designed to be weather tight. I don't know if I would hit them straight on with a pressure washer, or hold them in bucket of water. However, if they cannot keep out some Simple Green and a garden hose, then they will be giving me problems other times too. And if I do have a problem after washing the engine, then I am at home, can trace down the problem and seal the connector properly so it doesn't cause me a problem when I am away from home.

Just my $.02
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I've never washed my engines just to keep them pretty; only when I have to work on them and I need to see what I'm doing.

Especially today's engines: putting water on them risks about a million little sensors, any one of which can stop you deader than roadkill in the middle of nowhere.