Explorer
Explorer
nothing to see here
69 REPLIES 69

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:

I guess I'm the exception to the rule about clean cars and good maintenance. My cars are filthy and pretty beat looking with plenty of dents and some rust. But they are very well maintained and I'd take either cross country tomorrow.

They don't have to look pretty to be reliable.....Drove this EVERYWHERE till someone offered me stupid money for it. Didn't have a straight panel on it anywhere and being a 63 IH Scout it DEFINITELY had rust holes. Got 21 mpg at 65 mph and would go ANYWHERE you had the nuts to take it.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave wrote:
My two daily drivers are 15 and 20 years old, both with well over 100k miles. Neither ever gets washed, and I've never cleaned either engine (unless you count washing off mud/dirt prior to repairing something).

I guess I'm the exception to the rule about clean cars and good maintenance. My cars are filthy and pretty beat looking with plenty of dents and some rust. But they are very well maintained and I'd take either cross country tomorrow.
Exactly! How it looks on the outside is not necessarily a reflection of how it looks inside. All my vehicles are well maintained, but introducing unnecessary moisture into the engine bay isn't something I'll do. If an engine is well maintained about the only dirt on the engine is going to be road dust. A well maintained engine won't be covered with oil that needs to be cleaned. If you live on a gravel/dirt road, all bets are off.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
My two daily drivers are 15 and 20 years old, both with well over 100k miles. Neither ever gets washed, and I've never cleaned either engine (unless you count washing off mud/dirt prior to repairing something).

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
mountainkowboy wrote:
Being that Red is 28 years old and I'm a gearhead...she's kept pretty clean everywhere....;)

Bingo! Amazing how those facts go together.... The vehicle is 28 years old, kept clean and still providing good service. The two daily drivers in my household are at 300k+ miles. The newest turns legal drinking age on January 1st. And they have engines clean enough to eat your lunch on.

Truth of the matter is, the cheapest car to drive is the one I already own. Unless I like a steady date with a car payment, it simply makes sense to keep my vehicles maintained - which includes a clean engine compartment. I know when I put my right foot on the floor, that I have taken good care of the vehicle and it will deliver for me. I am not afraid to get in any car I own and drive it cross country because I know how well it has been maintained. The senior citizen of the bunch ran 4400 miles from OR to MN and back this summer (5 pages of pictures).

That works for me, and I know it doesn't work for everyone else. I don't understand why not, but I respect the decisions and opinions of others. Some people like new vehicles & the car payments that come with them. They like 'free' service for the first 5 years / 100k miles. They pay for AAA so they don't have to worry about goes on under the hood. That is a choice, and to some extent a skills assessment of mechanical ability. If someone has the finances to live that way, then good for them. It is simply not my choice.

On a side note.... The trick to making an engine look really good under the hood is tire shine. Wash the engine with whatever you want - Simple Green, degreaser, etc. I have good results simply using hot water (my hose bib pulls from my shop hot water tank if I want). Then spray it down with the same tire shine you use on your tires. Makes the engine compartment shine like new! Only downside is during dusty summer months - the tire shine will attract the dirt. So this is pretty much a spring & fall detail job.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Being that Red is 28 years old and I'm a gearhead...she's kept pretty clean everywhere....;)
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do that on all our cars. Looks better and you get to see if something is leaking.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Cat has a small oil(not big enough to even notice between oil changes) leak and it gets all over the under carriage. When it gets to a certain point, I'll break out the simple green and pressure wash the bottom end. One day I'll work on the leak...maybe!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Well I did it!
Took me less time to clean it than the naysayers making posts, lol.
I even picked up 12 hp.:W
And the valve covers are gray. They kind of looked black before the cleaning.
Used the super tech spray foam engine cleaner from walmart, $1.97.
Disconnected battery
Covered alternator and any electrical connections
Sprayed the cleaner and let it sit
Low pressure from the hose
Used a battery operated leaf blower to blow off any standing water and VOILA!
:B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
Wow Cummins 12v98 that thing was really plugged off, did you have any issues with overheating.

YES! Not bad enough to be an issue but NOT good!!!

This is a very common thing with the 24V engines that have the catch bottle. First thing I looked for when I bought the truck.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have cleaned engines but the 8.1L in this house has not seemed to need it. Stays fairly clean on it's own.

THe major cause of "Crud" on the engine is spilled oil during a lube job and well the long distance between the oil filler and the engine itself keeps the oil off the engine.. No muss. No Fuss No Crud.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple Green is good stuff. Another, not sure if it is available in the US, is TEPOL. TEPOL is a cleaner used in restaurants for cleaning hoods & other greasy places in the kitchen.

I am not so concerned about the appearance of the engine as I am for it getting clean air & staying cool. Back in 2008 while preparing for our first trip to Alaska, & being concerned with bugs travelling through the grill & into the radiator fins, I made a home brew screen zip tied to the front of the grill. Simple household screen it is still there. It sure does the job at stopping bugs & is dead simple to clean with a snow brush.

The screen made no difference to cooling even on a 100 plus day headed to Vegas.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I pop the hood once in a blue moon to look things over like the batt terminals and trash blocking the radiator, Oh and change the air filter every 30K, but that is all. I see no reason to hose wetness under the hood. I also do or have done the factory recommended services.

I cannot even remember when i worked on something under the hood of a modern day engine compartment, but i don't run them very far past 100K.

My leak detector is the floor of the garage.

So anyhow, that was along winded reply to say I never routinely wash/clean an engine.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I will say I've never had an engine fail to start due to water getting sprayed in places it shouldn't be. I have seen people at the car wash trying to start their cars after cleaning that engine bay very nicely. Looked great, if you like stationary cars. ๐Ÿ™‚

The old GM HEI distributors and point/condenser ignitions systems were very susceptible to water intrusion under a pressure washer. The newer coil pack ignition systems have eliminated much of that problem.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Cummins 12v98 that thing was really plugged off, did you have any issues with overheating.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
I use Simple Green Pro HD. It's non-corrosive and can be used on aluminum items like the radiator , CAC,etc. I clean the engine/tranny once a year, a week or 2 prior to doing the annual chassis service. That way I have a clean work area and if there are any leaks, I'll see them.
Same here except I use the degreaser at the car wash.