cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/T P tires in front, Highway LT's in back, any problem?

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 excursion had an OK set of All terrain tires i was hoping to get another year out of. The fronts were new, rears were in good shape but then i had a blowout.

I want to migrate to Michelin LTX but i can only afford two this month.

Maybe get the other two in the Fall after camping season.

Is there any problem with this other than my truck not looking cool?
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.
30 REPLIES 30

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Does nobody remember "snow tires"? Back in the day most people, on most vehicles, ran rear tires that did not match the front for about half the year.
(On my pickups, snow tires in winter, then spring I would name them "Mud Grips")
As for different size F/R. 2 wheel drive, this is not a issue. 4 Wheel drive, can be a problem unless on surfaces you need 4 WD, and tires can slip

X2!! Plus in the early days they always recommended keeping radial tires and bias tires on the same axle, lots of mix and matching back in the old days.

You'll be fine don't listen to the online negative Nellies.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, but when people were running "snow tires" nearly everyone was doing that with bias ply tires. IMO the difference between LT tires and "P" rated tires could be noticeable. I would imagine the "P" rated sidewalls would have a lot more flex than LT tires. I don't know that it would be extremely noticeable, but maybe a bit.

Just checking; We are talking about pickups, right? And more exactly, pickups pulling trailers? Not high performance vehicles expected to preform at optimum?
From what I see (and a very small percentage of my driving did I have same size/number tires on both ends of vehicle) the best handling and ride is with tires loaded near but below their weight rating. If the P rated tires likely will have plenty of capacity on the front of pickup. And even when loaded to GVWR, not much of that load is on the front tires. And if the load is on the hitch, even with WDH, the front is likely to weigh less than MT. OTOH, it would be EZ to overload the same tires on the rear, so a heavier rated tire makes sense to me.
As for ride, a stiffer tire transfers more road shock to vehicle to be absorbed by shocks an springs. Half the tires stiffer than needed will make for a rough ride.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, but when people were running "snow tires" nearly everyone was doing that with bias ply tires. IMO the difference between LT tires and "P" rated tires could be noticeable. I would imagine the "P" rated sidewalls would have a lot more flex than LT tires. I don't know that it would be extremely noticeable, but maybe a bit.

What do you mean,"when everyone was running snowtires" everyone runs snow tires today. They are more important than ever.
If you liveany where snow covers the roads most of the time in the wine it is only good sense to run snows. I and most folks around me keep a set of mounted snows,too switch twice a year.
If your truck is all wheel drive or full time drive, measure the rolling differenc in the tires, it don't take much to screw things up.

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
FordMastertech wrote:
P rated tires should not be on any Ford Excursion's they can't handle the weight load. Ford recalled the OEM LT D rated tires and had us install LT E rated tires. Mixing P rated tires and LT E rated tires on the same vehicle is a accident waiting to happen.

Yeah i don't love it. But they're in front, rated at 2600 lb.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

FordMastertech
Explorer
Explorer
P rated tires should not be on any Ford Excursion's they can't handle the weight load. Ford recalled the OEM LT D rated tires and had us install LT E rated tires. Mixing P rated tires and LT E rated tires on the same vehicle is a accident waiting to happen.
Tim & Donna :W
04 Prowler 830Y lots of mods 5200 lbs Axles 16 inch LT E tires
00 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD Pullrite Prodigy Autometer Gauges Magnaflow Exhaust DP Tuner Chip Terminator Big Oil :C

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have LT all terrains on the back. and a matching set (Firestone Destination) but the fronts are P.
So,i assume the rears are stiffer. It handles like a 4 ton truck.

I'm thinking
replacing the rear with highway tread Michelins will have the same stiffness but better grip on asphalt.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does nobody remember "snow tires"? Back in the day most people, on most vehicles, ran rear tires that did not match the front for about half the year.
(On my pickups, snow tires in winter, then spring I would name them "Mud Grips")
As for different size F/R. 2 wheel drive, this is not a issue. 4 Wheel drive, can be a problem unless on surfaces you need 4 WD, and tires can slip

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stability will be effected. I am betting the Tire store has a credit offer of some sort. Do it right.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
think of wearing different brand/size/type/etc shoes. Tennis shoes to hiking boots

Walking around the house would be fine...but...then try running as fast as you can to then 'maneuver' around things.

Those difference will affect during extreme conditions. Like braking & swerving trying to avoid something.

I'd not do it
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we are not driving high performance cars at LeMans, I'd think you are okay.

Different tires have different characteristics of handling properties.
One caution I can offer is to check that out.
Example if one tire has a much more flexible sidewall that the other, it could cause it to handle differently than you are used to.

But basically should be ok.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
THanks, that's what i thought. i figure i'll buy the other two by the time i'm due t rotate them.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as they are the same circumference. there should be no problem.. The problems come in when all tires aren't the same size
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/02hdwog4e.pdf

Page 252 says โ€œnoโ€ twice. Page 253 says it two more times.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad