Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

adding a charging line

Horde4Life
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all..
i was wondering if you would be able to help me. ive taken my trailer out the last couple of weekends and noticed my batteries are dead. i thought i had a charging line in place to charge them when i was traveling. my question is, how hard would it be to wire a charging line in place? is it just a simple line going to the positive terminals? is there a fuse that needs to be added? i have a 7 way connection on my truck, but im not sure if it has a wire already in place. is there anyone that can basically walk me through adding in the charging line, or can point me in the right direction to get the information?
14 REPLIES 14

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my F350 it only has power when the eng is running to prevent killing the TV batt. Not sure if it's fact but I would think it should have been. Has the fact tow pkg. Nice safety feature.

If you are leaving with low/dead batt it wouldn't charge them very much.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for this information. I have a similar problem with my TT. I am going to install a turn off switch. Do I need one just on the negative cable?
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Horde4Life
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help Ibyers. i will check those things when i get home from work.

ibyers
Explorer
Explorer
Horde4Life wrote:
ibyers wrote:
You are probably starting out with dead batteries, depending on how far you are driving, there is no way your TV will charge up the batteries to full on a quick trip to a campground.

Do you have a disconnect switch on your battery? if not all the parasitic loads in your TT are killing your battery.

forgive me for being new and asking questions but what would a disconnect switch and parasitic load be?

a disconnect switch for a lack of a better term "turns it off" It does the same thing as removing the negative cable from the battery so nothing is connected to the battery

There are some items in your TT that will slowly drain the battery. Such as the LP detector, The fridge control board, the radio. These items are always on.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If you plug into AC at home and plug into AC at the campground, then your battery should run everything while traveling for a few hours. It should last a weekend. I'd focus on what is draining the battery, not how to charge while traveling.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Horde4Life
Explorer
Explorer
ibyers wrote:
You are probably starting out with dead batteries, depending on how far you are driving, there is no way your TV will charge up the batteries to full on a quick trip to a campground.

Do you have a disconnect switch on your battery? if not all the parasitic loads in your TT are killing your battery.

forgive me for being new and asking questions but what would a disconnect switch and parasitic load be?

ibyers
Explorer
Explorer

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
On Amazon you can buy for nine dollars a 7 pin check lite . Just plug it in and watch the lites light up , or not !

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Gotta remember that above all, you want to make sure the TV battery gets first dibs on alternator output lest you get stranded with a dead starting battery.

That said, most TV alternators do not put out enough excess power to really charge up a dead battery in the TT. And if the house battery is really, really dead, reviving it takes more power than the TV can possibly supply.

Horde4Life
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the help all.. i will go tinker with it and see what i come up with.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
On pin #4 of your 7 pin connector you should have 12 volts when ignition is on. Then make sure pin #4 on TT connector is connected to positive terminal of battery. There should be a fuse at TT battery. Once you know vehicle plug has voltage connect to TT. With engine off measure voltage. Start engine you should see an increase in voltage at the TT battery indicating it is charging.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should already be in place. Check your 7 pin to see if you have 12VDC present. There will be a fuse on the trailer that might be open(blown). Download the Bargman wiring diagram from the internet for the proper plug wiring sequence.

Horde4Life
Explorer
Explorer
My TV is a 96 dodge ram 1500.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is your TV? If it is a GM variant then everything is here, but you do need to add the fuse, and on newer ones connect the wire.