cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on cross country trip

yaya
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of planning a cross country trip next summer. There is so much to think about and bring. Does anyone have a checklist of some kind that may help us? I am afraid we will forget the silliest of things. Any advice would be helpful.
30 REPLIES 30

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful not to over pack. Think your way through and sort the have to haves such as medicines etc.. from the non essentials. once the essentials are in place you can sort through again and pack the extras. We are leaving on a 5-6 week trip next week. After many years of being on the road I have learned to pack in a more efficient way. As others have pointed out many stores exist along the way so we only take enough foods for maybe a week then replenish along the way. We always have the emergency rations which for us is most likely Hot dogs, canned fruit and veggies, We take some lachoy canned Chinese food , Spam, crackers, Canned tuna etc.. as you like, that gets us through those days on the road where the main objective is to get down the road. As you get more accustom to what fulfills your needs you can leave even more at home. Pack clothes to take into consideration what you might expect in the way of weather but again do not over pack. An extra item of clothing can always be purchased if needed. ( I have some neat jackets and other items we picked up along the way.) I think the main jest of what and other are trying to say here is you can generally find what you need in a pinch. Make sure flashlights and batteries are in a convenient place. I have a folder that contains insurance info, roadside service info, flying J perk card and extra info that may be needed in a pinch. I have a safe bolted to the floor where I can keep important copies of papers that are valuable. As a CPL holder the safe also doubles as a place to keep in compliance in some states where there is no resoprosity with my state concerning CPLs. Just think your way through it without over thinking and you will enjoy your trip.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Opie431 wrote:
We have been places in the US that the only way you can get fresh meat is if you order it thru the one restaurant in town. Be prepared if you are going to areas that do not have many people.
I turned up my nose at canned chicken. In an emergency it does make a decent meal and some canned vegetables are not bad.

Hoping that emergency never ever EVER comes :). I'm able to eat canned veggies and fish w/o gagging though.

LOL!

My emergency rations consist of sardines or vienna sausages. My wife makes me eat the sardines outside the camper.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Opie431 wrote:
We have been places in the US that the only way you can get fresh meat is if you order it thru the one restaurant in town.

I'd be curious to know what town that was.

We've been in many tiny towns - even on the trip to Alaska - and people need to eat. For a traveling RVer this should pose no problem. If you anticipate it, then fill your freezer with meat at the previous town.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Opie431 wrote:
We have been places in the US that the only way you can get fresh meat is if you order it thru the one restaurant in town. Be prepared if you are going to areas that do not have many people.
I turned up my nose at canned chicken. In an emergency it does make a decent meal and some canned vegetables are not bad.

Hoping that emergency never ever EVER comes :). I'm able to eat canned veggies and fish w/o gagging though.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Glasses and/or contact lens and spares, medications Rx and OTC, first aid kit, some bottles of fresh water, and a couple days worth of meals for everyone. I also usually carry spare motor oil for the rig, though I've never used it. These are essentials. Check and double check before leaving. Almost everything else can be found down the road if forgotten.

Other items may or may not include "special" items. For example, if you plan to visit Yellowstone NP, know that it can snow anytime, and know that freezing over night temps. are not unusual, thus some cold weather gear is necessary. Know that some areas of the country are rainy, so water proof (not water repellent) jackets are good to have. Swimming clothes if this is on the agenda.

Good luck and safe travels.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Haven't done cross country, since I live quite near the geographic center, but have done a few 3000-5000 mile loops from the center out to the edges. I find that I pack a lot of stuff I never use, and still have have to buy an occasional item that I didn't bring along. If you are traveling in the U.S., what you can get from home, you can get almost everywhere. Almost every place with population 10,000+ has same national chains and local businesses of any other place of the same size.

If there's something I didn't NEED enough to buy one, but would have liked to have, I keep a list, for packing the next trip. I should probably also manage a list of what I carry that I don't use. Everybody's needs are different, we work out what they are based on personal experience.

What's a whole lot harder is packing for a 15-20 day cruise or bus trip, one bag, no laundry, a foreign place you've never been. But I got over worrying about that when my bag got lost in Budapest, had four days in Prague with what I was wearing and what I was carrying in my daypack (documents, money, camera, rain jacket and meds). A few of my fellow travelers were doing the whole trip from a single carry-on. I've also done a week in Yunnan province, by local buses, withwhat I could carry in a backpack. Only difficulty for that one was finding a decent razor in China to deal with a Western beard. So what one really needs to bring for a trip of any length is quite personal, depends on what you need for comfort, what's available where you travel, what you can get locally.

Confession: for 47 of the last 52 years, my wife did most of the lists and packing, and I concerned myself only with preparation of or travel vehicle and my photographic equipment. The past four years since her death have been a learning experience. The what to do before leaving list (hold mail, leave key with neighbor, roll over phone, call security, bar the sliding doors, turn off water, etc) has been trickier than the what to bring list.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you don't have a sticks & bricks to store the surplus at everything goes with you & that includes some heavy stuff like 2 trailer brake drums with bearings mounted, 2 brake plates with pads mounted, 1 new trailer axle, enough bits & pieces to rebuild landing legs, the used twice a year Makita buffer, the genny, enough shorepower cable to run over 75' plus all of the small stuff.

Every trip we travel is as if a very long trip.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
A cross country trip is no different from a shorter trip - only longer.

I kind of disagree with this. My load is completely different with a cross country trip than with a short trip to the lake..

Carry two spares on cross country, one to the lake.
Carry about 7-8 life jackets to the lake, none or maybe two on cross country.
Carry both sewer hoses 30' total on cross country, only 1 15' to the lake.

There are many other difference for me.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I read one time that you should have the first campsite less than 20 miles from home so in case you do forget something, its not a far drive home to get it. Or the weekend before you leave, move into the RV and live in it.

I will guarantee you will have more than you ever need. I still have stuff that I bought when I first got the RV, IN A BOX, never opened. My husband took one of every tool that you would ever need to replace and engine and transmission and the second anything goes wrong, he calls for a tow and takes it to the mechanic. I am the same way, I had to have a BBQ and a screened room and still in the box.

If you don't use it at home, you won't need it on the road.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also have a check list of items to do before leaving the house.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
NCWriter wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

Driving across country is nothing but a bunch of long one day trips. You are not going to the tip of South America.

I don't agree. If you leave some items - your camera (phone, iPad, etc) charger behind, as one example - and your battery dies on your one day camping trip, it's no big deal to wait one day to recharge it or find the spare battery you left back home.

But if you are a week away from home, you aren't t going to drive back. You might have to waste vacation time and money searching for a replacement that works for your model, having someone mail it to you somewhere, and so on.

Had to smile at that one. We just returned home a week ago after a 114 day trip to Newfoundland. Well, wouldn't you know it, we left our cellphone on the traier. Trailer is in MD. We are home in Bermuda till early Sep.

Guess what, we are going to tough it out & live without a cellphone for a month. Anybody wants us they will have to do it the old fashioned way, either catch us at home or leave a message on the machine.

There was life before cellphones & we will experience those prehistoric times again.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
This summer I found that an external battery was essential. 4 of us were charging batteries off the car's system and even though only one of us used the smartphone as a computer it was frustrating scheduling the charge times. I pick my fights and this wasn't one I was interested in pursuing.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful not to just take everything and anything "just because". Not knowing what kind of RV you have, everything has weight and its easy to over pack and accumulate too much weight unintentionally.

What we have done for longer trips is we pre-make some dinners at home and freeze them. Its so nice and easy to just take something out of the freezer and put it in a skillet and have an easy dinner after a day of driving. The dollar store has aluminum trays with covers or just vacuum pack them with your Food Saver.

I also went online and ordered the travel guides from all the states we were going to go through. Good resource to have on hand as they have regional maps in them with attractions you might never have considered to visit before.

Do any vehicle maintenance you may need, including the trailer wheel bearings, brake adjustment, to an oil change.

Bring lots of patience and be flexible. Don't try to drive too much/long in a single day.