cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Android Smart Phone with Dumb Owner, and 5 favorite apps

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
My friend just bought his first smart phone... it's a Galaxy 5S from Verizon.

Currently, I am helping him sort out some issues with it. Google on a laptop along side the phone to remove bloatware, is rather nice. However, it seems that buying a locked down phone from ATT, Sprint, Verizon, or who ever, versus an unlocked, Open Source capable S5, may have been a bad move. The ability to unlock and have Super Administration powers to shut off and delete bloat ware is very, very nice on my Galaxy S4, the S5... however... they seemed to so far have shut that option out.

With all that said, I'd like to pick the brains of RV'ers that own Android Phones, and your 5 favorite Applications that you downloaded and use.

Start a separate Apple page, if you use an iPhone, please, don't pollute or thread cr*p here with Apple Store stuff, two diverse, separate products.

Stuff, I use a lot.

1. Google Maps, and Navigation.

2. Gas Buddy, set up for diesel fuel... I need to fill up pretty much every 350 -420 miles, usually on the road, in new places, while trailering.

3.Fuelly.com To log my fuel ups. and keep a complete log, on line.

4. Torque Pro App, with an Elm 327 Bluetooth OBDII port adapater to communicate, and to keep track of all vital car temps, and voltages with gauges, as well as have access to CEL scans if the idiot light comes on, and to go on Google, and pull up what the code means, signifies, and how to fix it, and clear the code permanently. I don't want dealerships charging me $140 for a scan of codes I can do myself. So I do the scan, write it down, save it, and clear it, and if it reappears, and the dealership gives me the BS that "We can't duplicate it." I have a log on file showing that it did indeed exist.

5. I always check in with Weather Underground a day or two before going on the road to know travel conditions. I can not emphasize this enough with towing a travel trailer. Cross winds I can do with out. Quit if they pick up and travel another day. Life is too short to get flipped by a sideways gust.
26 REPLIES 26

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
phenrichs wrote:
I have an app called TV Antenna that I use to help with finding over the air signals for our antenna. That is nice. Not a lot of stations left but it is nice

I do not know.. I have NOT noticed any reduction in stations, not a bit. You may have moved into a "Low coverage" area is all.

(I do notice a lack of stations when I am parked at the Moose Lodge in Lily KY, but,, Well, not where I'm at now and not where I should be now,, Just that one spot)

There is an effort, I'm told, by the cable and sat companies to ban free TV,, I mean they want to get paid... So far it's failed.. I do not know it's current status (Rejected I suspect).

But the only stations I'm aware of that have shut down were Radio. Though I can see where some smaller TV stations might not be able to survive.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
NinerBikes wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
You can go to settings>about device> tap on "build number" about 7 times to unlock developer tools and options.

you pretty much have to buy a Developers Model on Galaxy S5 to have access to developers tools, me thinks. Galaxy S5 is pretty locked down by the major carriers, in the USA... ATT Sprint and Verizon.

And if you find a way to unlock the Galaxy S5, then you can collect the $18,000. bounty for doing so from XDA Developers. Assuming those pledging the bounties actually pay up?

Last I looked, when this thread was started, it was up to $12,000.

NinerBikes wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
You can go to settings>about device> tap on "build number" about 7 times to unlock developer tools and options.

you pretty much have to buy a Developers Model on Galaxy S5 to have access to developers tools, me thinks. Galaxy S5 is pretty locked down by the major carriers, in the USA... ATT Sprint and Verizon.

And if you find a way to unlock the Galaxy S5, then you can collect the $18,000. bounty for doing so from XDA Developers. Assuming those pledging the bounties actually pay up?

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Try a Dodge Cummins Bulletin board for an answer to that question.

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
Question on the Torque app.
Can I get trans temp on my 06 Ram Cummins with that? That is way cheaper than some of the other options I have seen.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
I have an app called TV Antenna that I use to help with finding over the air signals for our antenna. That is nice. Not a lot of stations left but it is nice

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I use my Android based smartphone for is Torque Pro.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I use my Android based smartphone for is Torque Pro.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

oldchief7155
Explorer
Explorer
Foxfi. It makes your smart phone (android) a hot spot. It does use your phone data, but I have unlimited so no matter for me.

A one time $7.99 fee after several free months to try it out. Dumped my $50 a month Mifi and paid $110 early cancellation fee.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff, guys, keep the suggestions coming!

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
Trucker Path is very useful.
TV antenna helper is great for finding out which direction to point the antenna.
RV Parky is great
Gas Buddy
Radar Now
Weather Bug
Flashlight if your phone doesn't come with the app.
Compass

All of these apps are free at the Google store.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

Explorer
Explorer
Five Apps for RVing

Copilot GPS Nav with RV mode and maps stored in phone memory (free and paid)
Gas Buddy
IExit - like Next Exit
Weather.com
RVParky
Firefox or Dolphin Browser
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Supreme_Oppress
Explorer
Explorer
I have several favorites but the most important is my security program. There are several good ones - I use lookout mobile security - it has the ability to track my location, make noise even if set to silent, scans all new programs, if someone tries to unlock it too many times incorrectly it takes a picture of them and emails it to me with the time and GPS location. Also backs up a few items - all free. A paid version has more backup features as well as the ability to remotely lock the phone and wipe all info (good if lost or stolen)

A handy android tip: Your android requires a google account which automatically comes with google+ available. Even if you have no intention of using it as a social network it comes with 15GB of storage so I use it to automatically backup my photos and videos. (set to backup on wifi only to avoid data charges) If I loose or destroy my phone, my pictures are safe.
2006 F350 6.0 diesel cc lb srw
2004 Jayco Jayflight 30.5BHS