cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any good fuel companies for a good fuel card for travel?

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Chevron says I'm 'time honored member' since 1977, but traveling out of state and using the card only once they shut the card down. Then trying to call them to find out why the embarassment at the pump? They are impossible, absolutely impossible to figure out what they are saying besides the beyond horrible waiting on the phone for 20 mins trying to get it straightened out. Always pay my bill, always went out of state and used it at least twice a year, but now they cut it off because they say I stole my own card.

I want to dump them after all these years, but don't want another Chevron scenario Company. As always cash is great and do have Pacific Pride, but are few and far between and often hard to find.

Any great companies out there that know how to win you over make you happy to deal with?
54 REPLIES 54

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
minnow wrote:
Don't know about your Costco card where you live but with mine the 4% applies to every gas station, including Sam's.

Any grocery store gas stations will only be 1% reward.

not necessarily. my experience is if I swipe at the pump at a grocery store station, the SIC code comes up as a gas station, not grocery store and I get the 4% or 5% or whatever. If you don't swipe at the pump but inside or at the cashier island, then the SIC code likely is the grocery store and then you will only get the grocery store %. Same thing if I were to take my pen fed card inside at flying J, pilot etc. If I do that then I only get 1%. to get the gas % most cards require you to swipe at the gas island pump.

Not my experience here with Kroger and Safeway. I always pay at pump and get only 1%.

Interesting. In oregon, MT, Idaho and WA, I've used my Penfed card at many Kroger (Fred Meyer, Smiths) and Safeway island pumps and always get the 5%. May vary by location. But only if I swipe at the pump. If I get propane and they swipe at the booth, then only 1%.

It probably depends on how the store has set up the gas "station". Merchants have what is called an NAICS/SIC code to denote what type of business they are. And cards can then use the code to determine what discounts (or in some cases actually not be useable) based on the SIC code. As an example, when employed my company CC for travel had a limited number of SIC codes it was useable at. basically those related to travel expenses, hotels, restaurants, airlines, taxi etc.

so, if the gas station is identified as a grocery store and not gas station to the card, then you will get the grocery store %

If online SIC code info is correct, 5541 is the code for gas station, 447110 is the code for gas station convenience store.445110 is for a grocery store.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
minnow wrote:
Don't know about your Costco card where you live but with mine the 4% applies to every gas station, including Sam's.

not necessarily. my experience is if I swipe at the pump at a grocery store station, the SIC code comes up as a gas station, not grocery store and I get the 4% or 5% or whatever. If you don't swipe at the pump but inside or at the cashier island, then the SIC code likely is the grocery store and then you will only get the grocery store %. Same thing if I were to take my pen fed card inside at flying J, pilot etc. If I do that then I only get 1%. to get the gas % most cards require you to swipe at the gas island pump.

Not my experience here with Kroger and Safeway. I always pay at pump and get only 1%.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
minnow wrote:

I try to comment on things with facts. When I see something I doubt the first thing i do is to check to see if I am correct or not in what i said. Example I mentioned all Craftsman HAND tools are US Made. I was corrected, I looked it up and sure enough they have changed over the last 10 years.

So here is the homework you should have done before commenting, see below. Copied right from Citi/Costco CC site.

"4% cash back on eligible gas worldwide, including gas at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas purchases and then 1% thereafter.
Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1% cash back, not 4%, for gas purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco or for fuel used for non-automobile purposes."
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
minnow wrote:

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
minnow wrote:

minnow
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
minnow wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Costco VISA works everywhere.

And get 4% back at every gas station regardless of brand. Text notifications when a charge is made against the card.
Hard to beat.

You can set your alerts any way you want. The discount does not apply to say SAM's, it may be 3% not sure on exact percentage. It does apply at Costco stations.

Love the fact every time i have contacted them I have spoken to a person in the USA and is fluent in the language of ENGLISH!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Costco VISA works everywhere.

And get 4% back at every gas station regardless of brand. Text notifications when a charge is made against the card.
Hard to beat.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Beentherefixedthat wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Not pertinent to the Chevron issue in particular, but if youโ€™re complaining about CC companies shutting your card off, you must have never had you card skimmed or card info stolen. It happens many many times daily around the world. What should cc companies do? Cater to the old grouch that doesnโ€™t understand that ?
Our cards get hacked multiple times a year. Itโ€™s jsut the cost of having a card in the 21st century.....
As far as fuel cards, idk what youโ€™re trying to accomplish. Are there significantly better discounts with fuel cards than the best CC discounts? How much does that save per year vs driving around looking for the right station? How many times isthe right station just not available.
Imo branded fuel cards have limited usefulness, like urban commuting only. Unless youโ€™re packing a series of cards for every situation and locale.

I dont know what bank you use but not only my BANK but my Amex and Capital One and HSBC cards all message me immediately when a purchase has been made. In fact I am usually still signing the slip (a stupid and medieval practice these days)when the message arrives.

It is this practice that alerted me to a fraudulent use of my card number in Texas and Tennessee while I was in the Baja. They were denied on the spot and my card kept working.

While in Mexico my bank would robo call me to verify that I made a certain purchase.

With the new security measures,especially NFC payment by tapping your phone I have never had a problem with any card.

What you need is either a new bank or better security settings on your accounts.

My security setting work perfectly. Hence the reason I know that my card got jacked, most of the time I need a phone call every time I run a card like I need a hole in my head. I get 50calls a day avg or more at work. Screw that,
Same with email notification. Yes I get them. No I don't usually see them until I go looking in that email account. I'm usually busy enough with the 100 emails I have to deal with each day.....
But I'm sure you don't have these issues if you're retired and maybe welcome getting phone calls or checking your personal email to see who's sent you something.

I used an AMEX Corporate card for 20 years at work, had text notifications set as low as possible, got text for a very small amount. Never bothered me when using, in fact amazed how quickly I got them.
I Canada they are required to use portable terminals right at the table in restaurants, I woul get the alerts before the terminal started printing the receipt.
We have alerts on all other cards, pays to be vigilant with credit.
Laughable story, got a AMEX alert for a Plate Pass charge at the end of April once, had not rented a car for work since the end of the year, so I challenged it with AMEX. About two weeks later I was notified that it was a VALID charge. It seems that Puerto Rico Plate Pass is slow to turn in charges, it was from the previous October!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
I need a phone call every time I run a card like I need a hole in my head.
x2. Amex texts me for 'large purchases.' That's fine with me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Beentherefixedthat wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Not pertinent to the Chevron issue in particular, but if youโ€™re complaining about CC companies shutting your card off, you must have never had you card skimmed or card info stolen. It happens many many times daily around the world. What should cc companies do? Cater to the old grouch that doesnโ€™t understand that ?
Our cards get hacked multiple times a year. Itโ€™s jsut the cost of having a card in the 21st century.....
As far as fuel cards, idk what youโ€™re trying to accomplish. Are there significantly better discounts with fuel cards than the best CC discounts? How much does that save per year vs driving around looking for the right station? How many times isthe right station just not available.
Imo branded fuel cards have limited usefulness, like urban commuting only. Unless youโ€™re packing a series of cards for every situation and locale.

I dont know what bank you use but not only my BANK but my Amex and Capital One and HSBC cards all message me immediately when a purchase has been made. In fact I am usually still signing the slip (a stupid and medieval practice these days)when the message arrives.

It is this practice that alerted me to a fraudulent use of my card number in Texas and Tennessee while I was in the Baja. They were denied on the spot and my card kept working.

While in Mexico my bank would robo call me to verify that I made a certain purchase.

With the new security measures,especially NFC payment by tapping your phone I have never had a problem with any card.

What you need is either a new bank or better security settings on your accounts.

My security setting work perfectly. Hence the reason I know that my card got jacked, most of the time I need a phone call every time I run a card like I need a hole in my head. I get 50calls a day avg or more at work. Screw that,
Same with email notification. Yes I get them. No I don't usually see them until I go looking in that email account. I'm usually busy enough with the 100 emails I have to deal with each day.....
But I'm sure you don't have these issues if you're retired and maybe welcome getting phone calls or checking your personal email to see who's sent you something.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Well fraudulent charges on a credit card is no money out of your pocket, debit is gone until the bank returns it. That and $100 holds for fuel.
It hasn't been a problem, as I previously said. Lots of things CAN happen...whether they actually do is the real issue.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
mich800 wrote:
The debit card issues have really been over played. As long as you monitor your accounts this cascading scenario rarely happens. .
x2. Lots of stuff gets exaggerated.

Well fraudulent charges on a credit card is no money out of your pocket, debit is gone until the bank returns it. That and $100 holds for fuel.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"