cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Return on Investment?

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my 6-year-old original trailer tires with new Goodyear Endurance tires. As we are preparing for an upcoming 6-week, 4000-mile trip, I discovered that my trailer brakes are in need of replacing. Since I'll have the thing in pieces already, I am replacing the original bearings with new Timken bearings as well. So everything from the axles down (out?) will be new and high quality.

Here's my question: If I go to sell this thing in a year or so, will any potential buyers care that I invested $1000 on it? Will buyers care?

I'm not talking about adding $1000 or even $500 to whatever asking price I would normally start with. Mostly I'm thinking in marketing terms. Putting something in the advertising like: "new tires, brakes and bearings in 2020." Do you think buyers of used trailers would see how enhancing that is?

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
43 REPLIES 43

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.

To the ones that it would make a big difference, probably all of them are chiming in here on this post, to the 1,000s of potential buyers these small things will not matter, and to a new RVer it will mean nothing to them since they have never had to replace trailer tires or brakes, which are wear-n-tear items anyway.

Two identical campers, same price used; one has 4 brand new Endurance tires, one has worn out walmark tires. Which one gets bought? The one closest to home, or the one with prettier pictures.

Some upgrades like solar, or other huge additions, would only matter to a person thinking of wanting that upgrade anyway, to others it means nothing and adds no value. Having a TV already in there ($100 - $200 value) would mean more than other upgrades that only a seasoned RVer would appreciate, as I observe many want a TV.

Fix things that are broken and make RV ready to go camping, but upgrades are a bad idea for selling. Actually, undo the upgrades and keep them for the next RV as this will ultimately save you money, or you could lower the price by that amount. People do not want your upgrades, well, except for tires...
As far as brakes.... "What's a brake controller?" is what you will hear.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
tdiller wrote:
It's routine maintenance I would expect it but not pay more for it.
Here you go - yes save the receipts to show maintenance history, price your TT using NADA guidelines, and use the maintenance history as a selling point. You can't expect a buyer to pay tou for maintenance items. Proving/showing routine maintenance is only a way to show a prospective buyer why they should by your unit and not someones else's.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
tdiller wrote:

Agreed, but between a trailer that has been maintained and one that hasnโ€™t been Iโ€™ll take the maintained one even if itโ€™s priced a bit more!

But every trailer similar has the same value of a properly maintained vehicle. You are assuming the others are not maintained. Why would someone pay extra for the same vehicle condition. Like I stated earlier. It may make it easier to sell. But unless you work some dealership upsell tactic it is not worth more.

It's an interesting interaction between "easier to sell" and "worth more." The final price is a function of what a competitive marketplace is willing to pay. If I market it as having had meticulous maintenance, provide documentation, and price it at the high end of similarly available trailers, I think I'll have more people interested in buying it. More people = more demand. More demand = less pressure to negotiate the price down.

Basic free market economics.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
As the last 4 pages show, there are several valid ways to view this.
Not a clear cut yes or no answer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
tdiller wrote:

Agreed, but between a trailer that has been maintained and one that hasnโ€™t been Iโ€™ll take the maintained one even if itโ€™s priced a bit more!

But every trailer similar has the same value of a properly maintained vehicle. You are assuming the others are not maintained. Why would someone pay extra for the same vehicle condition. Like I stated earlier. It may make it easier to sell. But unless you work some dealership upsell tactic it is not worth more.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Think about it, you're in the market for a used trailer. Two trailers that are quite similar in price, condition, quality and layout. One just shows you pictures and a price. The other shows you pictures, price and a maintenance history that shows everything is up to snuff. I'm focusing on trailer #2 as my priority."

But you could also view that trailer with the list of "repairs" as a trailer that needed "repairs", and will need more "repairs" in the future. As opposed to the one that seems to show it needed no "repairs".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
cavie wrote:

Very helpful. keep all receipts as proof.

Agree. As a buyer, I look for items that have been taken care of. A seller that indicates services done shows the buyer that it has been maintained and is likely to be in nicer condition. Whether it sells for a higher price or not, I don't know, but it will sell quicker.

Think about it, you're in the market for a used trailer. Two trailers that are quite similar in price, condition, quality and layout. One just shows you pictures and a price. The other shows you pictures, price and a maintenance history that shows everything is up to snuff. I'm focusing on trailer #2 as my priority.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
tdiller wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:

Putting something in the advertising like: "new tires, brakes and bearings in 2020." Do you think buyers of used trailers would see how enhancing that is?

-Speak

Since I am a self-proclaimed (just now) advertising guru.....

It will break (no pun) down like this:

60 percent will care...:C

30 percent will not...:(

10 percent either won't pay any attention to that info, or don't know what you're talking about...:h

Bottom line: Why not include the money spent on upgrades and mechanical work in "for sale" info? (Save receipts!).

:@

So.... I guess that means 60% will care and 40% won't?

In any event - thanks to all for playing along. Your responses were mostly what I expected, and I learned a couple things along the way.

-Speak

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:

Putting something in the advertising like: "new tires, brakes and bearings in 2020." Do you think buyers of used trailers would see how enhancing that is?

-Speak

Since I am a self-proclaimed (just now) advertising guru.....

It will break (no pun) down like this:

60 percent will care...:C

30 percent will not...:(

10 percent either won't pay any attention to that info, or don't know what you're talking about...:h

Bottom line: Why not include the money spent on upgrades and mechanical work in "for sale" info? (Save receipts!).

:@

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It does make a difference. As long as you have the receipts to prove the work was done, youโ€™ll get back $500 maybe. But what you are doing is preventative maintenance. its more for your benefit as well as the next person. Do it, but donโ€™t expect anything more than 50% of what you put into it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Knowledgeable RV'ers will probably like it, but it's not like to add any more to the sail. New or novice RV'ers will be asking "Were they replaced because they were damaged? How were they damaged?".
I sold my Coleman to a complete newbie who at least had done some homework as he was concerned about leaks - stated that he almost pulled the trigger on one but opened the front cabinets over the bed and discovered water damage. My ad stated mine didn't leak, and had never leaked. I told him I had just done the roof maintenance including caulking the seams. Gave him a ladder and told him to get up there and take a look. Also showed him the repairs from a tire blowout and a new top slideout gasket. I had it in my driveway, plugged in with everything on - fridge, water heater, AC. Told them to hang out inside and pretend they were camping. He paid my asking price without trying to negotiate.

I think telling prospective buyers about maintenance items shows you took care of it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Price: Zero value

Selling ease: won't hurt (is not a laundry list) but I wouldn't expect much.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV