Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxiliary fuel tank users -in bed variety

Doss
Explorer
Explorer
Any issues?
My understanding is you put it in, plumb it and only fill the aux tank right?
I thought it was straight forward till I read some reviews on Northern Tool for the connector kit.
There were a few talking about fuel seeping out around the neck over flow etc.
Some said that the ball valve in the connector kit stuck and caused leaks.
Anything to this?
I assumed you hooked it up and only used the valve if you had to open your fuel cap for some reason.
Please enlighten me. I have a trip planned the week after Labor Day and I am thinking about putting one in.
2022 Cruiser RV MPG 3400BH
2022 Chevrolet 2500 HD 4x4
22 REPLIES 22

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 75gal KSH in-bed tank since 2010 with gravity feed, manual valve. I open the valve when ready to leave and close it at the end of the day, the only issue I have had was I left it open at night and when it got cold it drew in more fuel (shrinkage) then since I did not drive it the next day when it got hot it pushed fuel out the overflow of the main tank.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I used a RDS 50 gallon combo tool box on two different diesel trucks. Zero problems. I just opened the valve and let it flow into the filler neck when I needed fuel as others have said. You can fill from the either cap this way. I assume you talking diesel. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an RDS 45 gallon in bed tank about 6 years ago, originally put it in my '06 RAM. In February of 2015 we bought a '15 RAM, I transferred it into my '15 soon after. I have NEVER had any issues with my set up in either truck.

When the truck tank gets low I switch the auxiliary tank valve and refill the truck tank, easy as that. It will take a couple of hours for the fuel to flow into the truck tank. LOVE the extra fuel capacity!

Dan

Doss
Explorer
Explorer
2naEagle wrote:
I put in a RDS and gravity feed kit. When you need fuel just open the valve.
Here is a write up of my install. Start at post #52

great looking set up, thanks
2022 Cruiser RV MPG 3400BH
2022 Chevrolet 2500 HD 4x4

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
Have the 38 gallon in bed tank with gravity feed. I put a solenoid on the tank line and turn it on when truck fuel tank reads 3/4. No problems and no leaks.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Auxillary fuel tank-
IMHO, Unless you know 100% how to install the auxiliary fuel tank, have the tank installed by a shop. Gas leaking out of tank is too high of risk for my safety. A $1.00 saved could be very costly down the road!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife bought me the 35 gallon tank and pump for Christmas a few years ago. It's a bit more of a hassle to manually pump the fuel, but not that big of a deal. It has an inline filter so that's a plus.

Usually when it's time to transfer fuel I'm ready to get out and stretch my legs anyway, so that's a plus too. I wouldn't own a tow vehicle without an external tank, just too many good points, and no bad points.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I put in a RDS and gravity feed kit. When you need fuel just open the valve.
Here is a write up of my install. Start at post #52
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV