cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning tension question

klawklr650
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow RVers, I think I need to adjust the tension on my Dometic 9100 power awning. The left end (non-power side) does not sit flush with the side of the 5th wheel when retracted, it sits out about 8 inches. This is on a 2007 Keystone Challenger with the original awning.

I made an initial atempt yesterday by retracting the awning all but the last 6 or 7 inches, pinned the end cap/spring with SS wire, seperated the cap assy from the rafter arm and attempted to put another wrap on the spring. The problem was trying to hold the awning up with my shoulder and attempting to rotate the spring in the correct direction I just couldn't get everything to work, especially with the rafter arm in the way.

How have you guys made this adjustment?

klaw
6 REPLIES 6

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
The awning could just be off center, and needs to be re-centered.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the power awning has any springs at all. Appears most are confusing the 9100 (power) with the 9000 (manual) models.

You cannot take additional wraps on one end. I would think that the awning is not mounted straight or level. So if it does not roll evenly, something else is out of whack.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
No, no, no. You don't have to remove the awning at all. You unhook the spring side of the awnings arm at the bottom. Just like you would do if you wanted it to be a post instead of connected the bottom of the RV. Just a simple lever release. Then while someone helps you by holding the roll up over their head, you just use the post as a lever and wind it in the tightening direction one, two, three or whatever tension you desire and snap the bottom of the post back into its receiver on the RV and your good to go.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

klawklr650
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks doxiemom, hershey. It sounds like you may have been describing your experience with a manual awning and/or one that had been removed. In my case, the awning is still on the 5th wheel. I will have to replace it in about a year and I'd really like to wait until then to pull the whole thing down.

I want to, or at least think I need to, tighten the non-powered side by a couple of wraps so when the awning retracts both sides reach the sidewall at the same time. I'm hoping to get this done without ending up on the safety report.

klaw

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
As said above, the easiest way to wind up an awning is to use the arm itself. Just remove from the RV at the bottom and spin in in the tightening direction as much as necessary.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We laid the awning roller on the roof of a golf cart once - the other time)put new springs in) I held the awning while DH rotated the rafter arm.