cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bonehead Blunder, I'm an idiot!

I have done some stupid things in my time, made some serious mistakes, but this one is really a major screw up on my part.

Went to grab the TT from storage, the gate broke, I couldn't get in, called the owner, they came in and got the gate open. said they would wait and make sure I could get out.

Now I am in a hurry to hitch up and get out of there.

Grabbed the TT and away I go. Got home, usual pre-trip loading etc and the next morning we are off for a few days at a lake. Cool! :C

230K, 143 miles of highway later we get to our destination. I got out, walked by by hitch and saw this:

My heart nearly stopped dead, I literally broke out in a panic sweat when I realized that I DID NOT put the pin in the hitch.

How could I have done such an idiotic thing? Where was my head? I have a process, a method I follow for this and I failed, big time.

Unbelievable that I drove that far, towing about 7500 - 8000 pounds and the thing didn't fall out of the receiver. I am astounded beyond words at my stupidity and the fact it stayed there all the way.

Wow, just wow.

I know we all do some dumb things, but this takes the cake for me.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
37 REPLIES 37

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever found yourself sitting in your car in your driveway wondering to yourself if you just got home or was fixing to go somewhere?

Or found yourself in the bedroom holding your pants in your hands wondering if you had just removed them or was fixing to put them on?

Or be standing in the bathroom wondering why you came in there?

I have a friend who's MD prescribed memory pill for him but he forgets to take them.

Life becomes a challenge as we mature.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Isn't it funny how we all tell on ourselves? Sometimes I wish I would keep my mouth shut, but no, I have to tell someone what a big mistake I made.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
Then there was the time a phone call came as I was getting ready to leave. It was important. After the call, I merrily towed 100 feet of #12 extension cord for about 2 miles. Finally some one got my attention and I rolled it up. No plug ends committed suicide, either.

Last phone call, help a kid fix something, multitask multiple maint items at the same time, wife asking if we wanted to go to friends house that night, etc combination left one of 2 oil drain plugs on my snowbike apparently only hand tight. Which apparently is good enough for about 20 minutes of run time or 10 miles form the trailer, uphill in 3' of powder at 11,000rpms before the drain plug falls out!

Fortunately, the piston squirter is the first thing to run out of oil when the oil gets low and at said rpms apparently heats up much faster than the cylinder causing a very hot "cold seize" or "4 point stick" condition, which only resulted in damage to the piston and cylinder, killing the engine before valvetrain or bottom end damage occured.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Then there was the time a phone call came as I was getting ready to leave. It was important. After the call, I merrily towed 100 feet of #12 extension cord for about 2 miles. Finally some one got my attention and I rolled it up. No plug ends committed suicide, either.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit dog wrote:
Found myself thinking about this when I went to grab the truck and boat trailer from the parking lot last night to load the boat back up and checked, probably for the first time ever, that someone didnโ€™t remove any of the cotter pins, clips or locking pins on the hitch connection!
I guess if we all remind each other of our mistakes we make, we can collectively become better at checking things!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I once towed a dual ski jet ski trailer with two jet ski's loaded to the lake about 35 miles from the house and forgot to latch the hitch ball lock. I understand your panic.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Found myself thinking about this when I went to grab the truck and boat trailer from the parking lot last night to load the boat back up and checked, probably for the first time ever, that someone didnโ€™t remove any of the cotter pins, clips or locking pins on the hitch connection!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I made a checklist for my FW when I hook up and disconnect. Then I laminated it and keep it in the center console of my truck. Why? Because I was not immune to doing something stupid. In fact, I have done it on other things so much that I decided to make this sheet before I hooked up the first time. Even now I force myself to review the list. We have all done it so join the club.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Final inspection is a MUST.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thinking about my routine -

I hold the receiver pin in a hand while I install the hitch. On my more absent minded days Iโ€™ll stand there looking at it after I slide the hitch in and say โ€œoh ya, this holds the hitch on the truckโ€ฆโ€

I do have the walk around and look over the outfit habit from learning to fly a airplane, riding motorbikes, running ag machines, driving commercial trucks but absolutely mostly from what can find itโ€™s way to falling off an RV in motionโ€ฆ

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
I have done some stupid things in my time, made some serious mistakes, but this one is really a major screw up on my part.

How could I have done such an idiotic thing?

How?
You answered your question in the first sentence: "I have done some stupid things in my time, made some serious mistakes"

It's just what you do.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Something I learned from flying, always use a checklist and ALWAYS do activities in the same order. If something gets out of order, START OVER and do it again. Even that's not perfect. Friend was a 747 check pilot and watched an experienced crew got things out of order, and they missed a major check item, landing gear down and locked. He told them to run the checklist again, and sat there in amazement when they "mouthed" the words and missed it again. They went back for recurrent training.

I've tried to maintain the same walk around discipline, what am I supposed to be checking here, and actually touch the item to confirm it's correct.

I've never done complete mental walk around when stopped for a short period of time, but given the example above that someone took the clip off, maybe I should change that up.

Right, the checklists were mandatory. Using the instrument panel, or camper/hitch, as the checklist works, too.

Five items to check when hooking up my 5โ€™er. Then an unhurried walk around, twice, looking for extended jacks, open windows, unlatched doors, slides and awning fully retracted, lights and rear camera working.

When the inevitable campground neighbor comes by to chat (distraction), the process starts from the beginning.

I do the same checks during every stop along the way.

Happy Trails and Safe Travels!
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

WNYBob wrote:
You didn't even cross the safety chains! You need to do this to cradle the hitch if it does come loose!

If only I could....
Both chains come off the same welded steel loop. Crossing them does nothing, they hang crossed at the back connection point. No cradle.
I've tried several ways of hooking them.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hey Bob...don't be so hard on yourself!!

You are a very capable person! Many on these forums could not take a great pic of the problem, and get it posted properly.

I will suggest that you stick with TTs, as a FW not hitched properly, can get very expensive! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry