cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake Buddy

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
I had problems with my Brake Buddy, I posted on 4/8/14 if any one is interested in reading. When I got back home I called Brake Buddy they had no idea of what happened, said if I would send it in they would look at it, need to send Brake away and all accessory. They have a new Brake Buddy Vantage Select at $1499.00 I think a little high they said they would take my old Brake Buddy and $650.00 for the new one. I don't think I want to use mine even if they overhaul it, it is about 12 years old. does any one have any experience with the Vantage Select. Thanks Roy

P.S If the Brake away is activated will it release by it self or do you need to push it back in
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi
8 REPLIES 8

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
I had always in the past pumped the brake two or 3 times but don't remember if I did this time or not, I had stopped at a rest area about 1 hr before this happened, I will check tomorrow where the break a way wire comes through the fire wall to see if the wire is fractured. I would like to thank every one for your replies, they have been very helpful.

Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
ROYBUCK wrote:
I have hooked it up on the passenger side and drove around at different times, it works like it is supposed to, but that still does not explain why it locked the brakes up on the toad for no reason, since no brakes was applied inside the MH> Roy

What I'm saying is to hook it up and then pull apart the break away and see what happens (just like if the car broke away from the MH.) Doing the above is what I said in a prior thread of yours which seems now to prove it's not the unit itself (thus the rebuild will be for not since it appears to be working correctly.)

What you're testing now is the break away feature outside of your car. If when that safety device is activated it pushes down on the brake and holds it there, then that is a possible cause of your problem. It may have activated. The wires may have worn somewhere and are shorting to ground making the unit think it has a run-a-way toad.

Also remember when you use the brake buddy you need to pump the brakes a few times with the engine off before using the unit to dump brake pressure. Did you do that prior to when you had the issue?
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from Class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I also suspect the break away feature. A friend had a problem with it unexpectedly activating and a cousin had it happen to him twice. All those were about 8 to 19 years ago and Brake Buddy confirmed the problem was some kind of short in the break away feature and FIXED it at that time. All the of us bought them at the same time and that is when I stopped using mine. Brake Buddy was owned by a different at that time.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
I would most suspect the break away function. Cdonnector either on pin end or Brake Buddy end.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
I have hooked it up on the passenger side and drove around at different times, it works like it is supposed to, but that still does not explain why it locked the brakes up on the toad for no reason, since no brakes was applied inside the MH> Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
ROYBUCK wrote:
...snip...P.S If the Brake away is activated will it release by it self or do you need to push it back in

Why don't you hook it all up and test it out? No need to be rolling to test that function. If nothing else you will see what logic the brake buddy uses when that occurs. I'm guessing the foot will extend and stay extended with the compressor kicking on when needed.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
My BB is the original square metal box bought new in 1996 and has been refurbished by the company once, for free. I trust it explicitly, even after they refurbished it and still use it in my truck. There is NO way I would use their "newer" models, as they have had nothing but grief with every model except the BB Classic. Also, you can buy the Advantage Select on ebay for $899 or less, all day long and sell yours for whatever you can get for it, after they refurbish it.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today