cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken down down tow vehicle

campincory
Explorer
Explorer
We are in our first week long camping trip in our 5th wheel in Florida. Our truck broke down twice on our way here, but we made it. A 12 hour drive turned into 17 hours. The truck worked fine for three days. Took it in for repair at the only diesel place around ion Wednesday after it started acting up again and they've had it ever since. Had to move our camper out of our site called Good Sams and they told me we weren't covered because it was a convenience tow. Got my money back from them after canceling my membership. Luckily another fellow camper towed us to an emergency spot in the park and we've been here since Friday. Hoping the truck gets fixed so we can leave tomorrow. It's nice to be stranded in Florida but we are ready to get home.

ETD please read my post further down for more info.
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
2007 Coachmen Chaperrel 5th Wheel
32 REPLIES 32

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
For RVers AAA varies... If you tow a PUP they are generally good. But not all chapters even offer service to Motor Homes. I had AAA for many years, and "Out of area" for those who think that way, means either Not in the United States or not on planet, (not sure which) but all AAA chapters, under mutual aid agreements provide service for ALL AAA members anywhere in the USof A

Now: In this AAA is the partial exception but one thing AAA, Good Sam's and Coach Net (And most all the others as well) have in common is this:

They own no tow trucks (As I said AAA is the partial exception, some markets they DO own a truck or 20) they all contract with LOCAL providers.. And it may well be no matter who you have (AAA, Coach Net, Good Sam's. Allstate, ___Fill in the blank__) you get the same tow truck.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
It's my experience they will do everything they can to help you. Obviously, I would think like everything else, there might be some lazy AAA contractors out there that are not as accommodating.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I can say my AAA South has covered me multiple times outside my region in NJ & PA. When we lived in NJ they covered us outside our region when we had a tow vehicle breakdown in VA. They've even towed car owned by others. That's what I like about AAA. They will tow or assist any vehicle as long as I am there with my card and I am rarely ever asked for my card.

The one time in PA, I was towing our HTT when my tow vehicle broke down. AAA towed both tow vehicle and trailer to my parents which was 99 miles away in NJ. The only thing I paid was the tolls ($9) and I gave him a $20 tip since I knew he had to go back to PA in NJ Shore traffic on a Sunday afternoon.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone or push AAA onto anybody, just posting my experience being outside my AAA region.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
yep,
I don't get it that "haters" come out on AAA. I don't know if the Gentleman from Pennsylvania got stung by AAA or perhaps sells a competitive insurance product

I don't know....

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
If the man wants AAA, so be it. It is his business.

rseymour21
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, if you want to go with AAA, I have no problem with it! Good Luck! Not sure why your waiting for GS horror stories! :h
2003 F250 7.3L
2008 Cougar 292RK

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam contracted a tow truck large enough to tow a loaded concrete truck to winch my truck and trailer out of the mud in my side yard. The pull was about 180'. To say they will only help you out while you are on the road is incorrect.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
campincory wrote:
Just signed up with AAA Plus and asked a lot of questions. Hopefully won't need it. Thanks for all of you that helped....

Did they tell you that AAA is regional and that some regions don't supply RV towing? In those cases you will have to find a tow on your own and then request reimbursement.

It is regional but they will tow you if they have/can get the proper equipment.

It is not necessarily "most cases". If it's off the beaten path then maybe yes. However, if it is a popular place where RVers congregate then chances are the proper equipment will be available.

The "proper equipment" is probably always available. It is just that AAA does not contract with those equipment operators in some regions.

I don't know who you are quoting with "most cases", not me.

You sound like your paycheck comes from AAA. It has been posted on here about the variability of AAA RV services in different regions.

I have no dog in the fight. Am not employed by nor purchase services from any of them. I am unbiased but facts are facts.

The proper equipment will be available on main routes-and where Rvers congregate. That's why they sell "RVplus" coverage. They are able to change a tire on a trailer w/o issue. They will be able to tow a rig and a trailer w/o issue. Yes, if you have a class "A" then your requirements are different and I would hope you have the appropriate coverage.

And yes, there may be times where you will have to pay and seek reimbursement.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
campincory wrote:
Just signed up with AAA Plus and asked a lot of questions. Hopefully won't need it. Thanks for all of you that helped....

Did they tell you that AAA is regional and that some regions don't supply RV towing? In those cases you will have to find a tow on your own and then request reimbursement.

It is not necessarily "most cases". If it's off the beaten path then maybe yes. However, if it is a popular place where RVers congregate then chances are the proper equipment will be available.

The "proper equipment" is probably always available. It is just that AAA does not contract with those equipment operators in some regions.

I don't know who you are quoting with "most cases", not me.

You sound like your paycheck comes from AAA. It has been posted on here about the variability of AAA RV services in different regions.

I have no dog in the fight. Am not employed by nor purchase services from any of them. I am unbiased but facts are facts.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:

They will help you if they have the equipment.

Now why don't you do a search on the "Good Sam" horror stories. There are plenty of them on this forum.

Then answer my post with all the links....please!

Those are AAAs words not mine, word for wordโ€ฆ you do all the searching you want if you want a link, you can find it on the internet the same as I didโ€ฆ

I wasnโ€™t addressing you in the first place and donโ€™t need to justify anything to youโ€ฆ
I have read horror stories about them all, and read most of them I see posted hereโ€ฆ in my opinion reading and understanding the contract and good communication would have eliminated many if not most of the horror stories I have read as I have already saidโ€ฆ

Waiting for the "Good Sam" horror links.....

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:

Now why don't you do a search on the "Good Sam" horror stories. There are plenty of them on this forum.

Those are AAAs words not mine, word for wordโ€ฆ you do all the searching you want if you want a link, you can find it on the internet the same as I didโ€ฆ

I wasnโ€™t addressing you in the first place and donโ€™t need to justify anything to youโ€ฆ
I have read horror stories about them all, and read most of them I see posted hereโ€ฆ in my opinion reading and understanding the contract and good communication would have eliminated many if not most of the horror stories I have read as I have already saidโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
not to disparage AAA or disappoint you but you may want to really question AAA farther if you are traveling outside your own region, or going any distanceโ€ฆ

I posted this earlier it is straight from a AAA documentโ€ฆ apparent they are not equipped to ensure tire service or towing for many vehiclesโ€ฆ

The club shall provide service to the following:

โ€ข Four-wheeled motor-driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure or recreational type (vans, campers and motor homes), regardless of license plate designation, if those services can be safely delivered.

โ€ข Dual-wheel campers/motor homes will be provided all services but may exclude towing, extrication/recovery and tire service due to size. Dual-wheel unloaded pickup trucks are provided all services except tire service when special equipment is needed.

what the heck does that mean??? And they make no mention to towables hereโ€ฆ

I have read many times if you are in another region for some services you might have to pay for them and then seek reimbursement from you home region... but I don't know if that is true or not...

Sounds like a pretty stupid policy for an RV service contract

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
not to disparage AAA or disappoint you but you may want to really question AAA farther if you are traveling outside your own region, or going any distanceโ€ฆ

I posted this earlier it is straight from a AAA documentโ€ฆ apparent they are not equipped to ensure tire service or towing for many vehiclesโ€ฆ

The club shall provide service to the following:

โ€ข Four-wheeled motor-driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure or recreational type (vans, campers and motor homes), regardless of license plate designation, if those services can be safely delivered.

โ€ข Dual-wheel campers/motor homes will be provided all services but may exclude towing, extrication/recovery and tire service due to size. Dual-wheel unloaded pickup trucks are provided all services except tire service when special equipment is needed.

what the heck does that mean??? And they make no mention to towables hereโ€ฆ

I have read many times if you are in another region for some services you might have to pay for them and then seek reimbursement from you home region... but I don't know if that is true or not...

Sounds like a pretty stupid policy for an RV service contract
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
campincory wrote: