cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken down down tow vehicle

campincory
Explorer
Explorer
We are in our first week long camping trip in our 5th wheel in Florida. Our truck broke down twice on our way here, but we made it. A 12 hour drive turned into 17 hours. The truck worked fine for three days. Took it in for repair at the only diesel place around ion Wednesday after it started acting up again and they've had it ever since. Had to move our camper out of our site called Good Sams and they told me we weren't covered because it was a convenience tow. Got my money back from them after canceling my membership. Luckily another fellow camper towed us to an emergency spot in the park and we've been here since Friday. Hoping the truck gets fixed so we can leave tomorrow. It's nice to be stranded in Florida but we are ready to get home.

ETD please read my post further down for more info.
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
2007 Coachmen Chaperrel 5th Wheel
32 REPLIES 32

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
campincory wrote:
Just signed up with AAA Plus and asked a lot of questions. Hopefully won't need it. Thanks for all of you that helped....

Did they tell you that AAA is regional and that some regions don't supply RV towing? In those cases you will have to find a tow on your own and then request reimbursement.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water-Bug wrote:
I recently had a tire go flat on my 5er while parked in a KOA. GS covered the charges for a truck to come out and mount my spare. Obviously nobody was in danger in a KOA campsite nor was I on the side of the road.

True. but Flat tire coverage is a separate paragraph in the contract and IS provided for.. You gotta read all that fine print..

Joke (True funny story) follows:

Was at a auto-body repair picking up part for wife's car when an insurance adjuster came in and, finishing up there said he was headed for a tow yard where a client's vehicle had been sitting, for like a year.. I gave him directions, since I worked there at the time. He ask why we waited a year to let them know.. I told him was not our job, was the job of the police department (By law) He said "I need to see that" so I fired up my laptop and brought up a copy of the Michigan Vehicle Code which specifically said notifying the owner of a recovered stolen vehicle was a "Duty of the police".. He ask for a print out,, So I got out my A-6 pocket printer and dumped it to paper.. A-6 in case you do not know is a european standard for paper, They specify a size for A-0 the you fold it in half Fold across the narrow width) and it becomes A-1, Fold that it's A-2, and so on, 8.5 x 11 is very close to A-4, so take that and fold it both ways and you have 4.25 by 5.5 Which is very close to A-6,, The printer dumps a standard 80 character line, in five or six point type (1/2 the size on your screen) He complained the print was too small.

The young lady behind the counter responded before I could "Insurance Companies INVENTED SMALL PRINT" (Actually I think it was banks, but..)

Everyone (Save him) got a good laugh.

I still have a copy of the (now updated) Vehicle code on my drive, that paragraph has changed.. The Tow service now notifies the Michigan Department of State (Secretary of state) who notifies the owners.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fifth wheel stuck in a RV park is not and emergency in my opinion. They towed your truck didn't they. Your shooting yourself in the foot if you don't get another ERS provider soon. I don't think the new one will consider a trailer stuck in an RV park an emergency either, unless the springs collapse or something of that nature.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

campincory
Explorer
Explorer
Just signed up with AAA Plus and asked a lot of questions. Hopefully won't need it. Thanks for all of you that helped.

I should have added in the original post that GS gave me an approval the night before the tow. The day we needed the tow they called and said it was a convenience tow. I felt with this situation of them telling us that it was covered then telling us the next day it wasn't was not a company I wanted to work with. Therefore I cancelled our membership.

Hopefully I won't need to use AAA but decided to get it since we have an over 700 mile trip ahead of us.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't have even called GS in that situation. I don't know how anyone can consider it an emergency to move from one parking spot to another in the same park.

FWIW most campgrounds have a tractor and can move a TT for a fee, maybe not a 5er.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
I recently had a tire go flat on my 5er while parked in a KOA. GS covered the charges for a truck to come out and mount my spare. Obviously nobody was in danger in a KOA campsite nor was I on the side of the road.

And they would have and mounted his spare had he had a flat in the CGโ€ฆ they would not mount his spare as part of a tire rotation thoughโ€ฆ

just moving the trailer that is in a CG, is a convenience tow even if you donโ€™t feel that it isโ€ฆ the OP seems to understand that and got his money back per the contract, not because they were niceโ€ฆ

do I think he made the correct choiceโ€ฆ yes as long as he is happy with itโ€ฆ it is not the choice I would have made thoughโ€ฆ most of these conflicts can be avoided by reading the contract before the trip and donโ€™t be shy to call and ask any questions you haveโ€ฆ something I didnโ€™t do one time with another service company that left me stranded and frustrated alsoโ€ฆ only to find out the service provider was right and with-in the contractโ€ฆ if only I had read itโ€ฆ

โ€œYou did GS a favor by getting your truck into the shop under its own power, befor it stranded you on the road. They could be a little more accommodating under the circumstances.โ€

:B:B:B

These are not favors and they fortunately are more accommodating than required very often, but these are not friends helping each other, they are business dealings regulated by a contractual agreement between the partiesโ€ฆ

I seriously doubt his car insurance is going to be any better if as good and chances are itโ€™s not sign and drive eitherโ€ฆ an out of pocket tow along the highway can cost considerable amounts at timesโ€ฆ added on top of a TV repair would ruin most peopleโ€™s entire vacationโ€ฆ

Another thing I have read several times is a tow claim through your insurance can be treated like all small claims against the company, and be used to increase rates for all insured vehiclesโ€ฆ
I donโ€™t know but I would sure investigate that up frontโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
4huskers wrote:
I thought maybe you had bought my '06 Ford diesel. After a little over $5K last year I traded it. I know your pain.

How funny, I did the same thing last December after dumping over $5000 in our '06 F350 and still was not running properly. Love our new Duramax.

I guess both of you missed the fact that his truck was a Chevy Silverado but never let facts get in the way of a little Ford hating. Par for the course on this forum
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer

campincory
Explorer
Explorer
Luckily the nice man at Good Sams understood my frustration and gave me my money back without any problems. While I felt this was an emergency and Good Sams policy stated differently, I appreciated that the manager understood how I felt and refunded my money right away.

I'm also thankful for the fellow camper who moved our 5th wheel. It's campers like him that make this wonderful hobby worth every penny we spend. I hope to someday pay it forward and help someone out in their time of need.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
The Auto Club has the same rules. However, they (the drivers) will tell you to push it out of your driveway and in to the street and they will tow to the garage of your choice. But towing from your driveway can be touch and go. Some AAA contractors will do it and some won't.

I suspect those who will probably send AAA a bill for an "on street" tow.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
campincory wrote:
This situation was an emergency. We are now are covered through our insurance.

No, by definition it was not. So you understand.

EMERGENCY: Means there is an immediate threat to LIFE or health.
Broken down on the freeway there is always the chance that Joe, who just posted to facebook about doing 90 down the freeway in Tennessee, will swerve and hit you. That is a major threat. I know of a case where a simple flat tire turned into a multiple car, multiple fatal, multiple injured accident.. That is an Emergency.

Nobody was in danger from your trailer sitting there a bit longer than planned. In fact the park SHOULD have made accommodations Most will. That may be extending your use of that site, or moving your trailer with their tractor/truck. But most parks will take care of you when that happens. all the ones I park at have the ability to do that.

This comes from the rules on the use of MAYDAY as an emergency call

By the way: PAN, is the code for lesser threats, means remote threat to person.. Immed to property (Example would be a fire where there is no occupancy..

Or in English: Priority, not (yet) an Emergency but could become one.

Anything less is routine. for most communications operators.

(For folks in my former line of work,, Priority, is kind of routine, but then..... Turns out I was the only one in the office who actually knew the meaning of "Mayday", the on-duty at the time had to figure it out. )
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
4huskers wrote:
I thought maybe you had bought my '06 Ford diesel. After a little over $5K last year I traded it. I know your pain.

How funny, I did the same thing last December after dumping over $5000 in our '06 F350 and still was not running properly. Love our new Duramax.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
When a third party (the park management) requires that your RV be moved and your tow vehicle is disabled and in the shop, it is not a "convenience" tow. You did GS a favor by getting your truck into the shop under it's own power, befor it stranded you on the road. They could be a little more accommodating under the circumstances.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the poster, IF YOUR STUCK some where?? its an EMG, and the provider should do everything possible to help.

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer