cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bugs

Dennyf
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried all sorts of cleaning solutions, liquids and paste's to remove the bugs from the front of the motorhome with less than good results. My wife said to try her Mr. Clean Magic Pad, you know the white ones, well wala they work like a charm. Thought I would share the info and figured that many of you already knew but if not, try them and see. Denny
ADIRONDACK CAMPER[purple][/purple]:R
14 REPLIES 14

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
When I arrive at a cg part of my set up is to wash the front cap with water and a brush. It only takes around 10 minutes. The key is to get them off before they dry and set in.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I tried 2 coats of wax before going cross country this Sept on the front of the trailer and the truck. Cleaned them off a couple times on the way west, not bad the first time but after that it got tougher and took a good deal of scrubbing. When we got back home to MA a month later I had to resort to drier sheets. So waxing helps some but for the more stubborn cases use drier sheets. I tried the magic eraser vs drier sheets earlier this year, the drier sheets worked better for me. Wish they sold big ones.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone realizes that the "magic" in Magic Eraser is sandpaper, right. You're removing material.
The best method I've found for removing the front bugs is to keep the front waxed. Most bugs will wipe off first stroke with car wash soap (to prevent stripping the wax) and warm water. An ounce of prevention...
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dakota98 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I use damp used dryer sheets to remove bugs on front cap of our 5vr.

Have used the Mr. Clean Magic pads on black streaks...worked OK but kept flipping out of my hand

Do they have to be "used" ?

No they don't have to be used..new ones work just as well.

Except GF won't let me toss them in dryer after removing bugs but she will let me take the used ones to clean bugs off :B

The new ones, that have not been through several dryer cycles, tend to leave a film on the coach. I've had better luck with the used sheets but either way they take off the bugs without much effort. Now if I could just reach most of our C's cabover.... :S

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dakota98 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Have used the Mr. Clean Magic pads on black streaks...worked OK but kept flipping out of my hand

Do they have to be "used" ?

No they don't have to be used..new ones work just as well.

Except GF won't let me toss them in dryer after removing bugs but she will let me take the used ones to clean bugs off :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Like the OP recommends Mr Clean erasers work great on watered wet bugs โ€ฆโ€ฆ..a larger convenient device can also be foundโ€ฆ.. the Mr Clean magic eraser roller sponge mop. It has a wider cleaning track, nice long handle to reach the top of the cap and you can catch the whole end cap cleaning from the bed of the truck.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Wet dryer sheets are only slightly short of magic. You will be amazed. When I 1st heard of this many years ago I thought, "Uh huh, yeah right." One try made me a complete believer. Rinse thoroughly.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
The Warning Label

Melamine foam erasers work well; but on surfaces that are painted, polished or easily scratched, they might work a little too well. It's recommended to test the eraser on a small, preferably unnoticeable, portion of whatever you're looking to clean before you dive on in.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I use the dryer sheets (new, not used) too and they do a nice job on the bugs. I usually wrap them around one of those spongy nylon dish washing pads. You need some moisture to help loosen up the dried on bug bodies.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what she uses, but it works :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

After reading about the dryer sheets on this forum, I gave them a try. Can't believe how well they work!

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Do the Mr Clean Magic Pads scratch the surface of the MH? Paint, Decals, bare fiberglass - all are OK?
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a bunch of them to clean black streaks off our fifth wheel back when. I washed with everything CW and everyone else had. I had been washing with wash and wax, Meguries I think and it apparently glued down the black stuff. It took some scrubbing with the pads and then I had to polish the paint which took me about two weeks.