cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds in the Keys

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip from SW Fla. to the Keys. Would like suggestions of where to stay and what to see. Going for a week or two.

Thanx
26 REPLIES 26

ekirkland
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
There are 4 state parks with camping in the Keys that offer affordable camping. Plan early and reservations are a must.

More likely to hit the lottery than get a site in a state park in the keys

We hit the lottery for two weeks in a row last April at Bahia Honda and Curry Hammock state parks; so it can be done. I reserved the sites the December before; obviously cancellations. Be diligent and check back on the reservation site often.
Eddie & Liz
Auburn, AL
=====================
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2017 - 53

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
gandb26 wrote:
Which two parks are closing?

Point of View in Key Largo and Knights Key in Marathon..... more condo's on the way !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

gandb26
Explorer
Explorer
Which two parks are closing?

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, 2 big rv parks in the Keys are closing this year due to being bought by condo developers. That will cut hundreds of campsites for next winter. We bought a lot there a few years ago, knowing what was coming.

boomersooner198
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
LynnandCarol wrote:
Check out Jolly Rogers CG in Marathon. Also check out Noname Key for the Pizza joint and the Key Deer.

X2 - convenient location half way down keys so easy to do day trips north and south. Rates good for the Keys.

We will be at Jolly Roger in mid April. By joining Passport America I am only paying $49 a night for 5 nights. Saving nearly $250 and PA fee was only $109 for 3 years.
Bob and Brenda
Army Retired / Army Veteran
Sooner, Sumay, and Tex (German Shepherd, Walker Treeing Coon Hound, Mutt)
2011 Coachmen Catalina 24RBS towed by 2016 Ford F150 Crew Cab

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Ford truck guy... I trying to remember what my site number was in My picture with the RV right at the water edge. If you look at this pic of the map of the facility, even though the site numbers are blurry, in the top row toward the left in the blue section right about where the orange rectangle is out in the water indicating North. As long as you get any of those section before the trees are indicated a few sites down to the left, it will have a similar view, but very small sites, the sewer hose of the unit to my left was only a few inches outside of that picture.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
All I could afford wrote:
Chief neon... I'm jealous of you paying $20 per nite in Fiesta RV park, we just got back from a week there in January and paid over $100 per nite! We had a great time, and only 70 miles to Key West. Couldn't beat the view from our site though...

What site # was that ? It's beautiful ...

Howdy!

We were in site #192 right off the sunset point. We definitely enjoyed the sunsets every evening.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

LBL_1206
Explorer
Explorer
Bahia Honda State Park is nice and quiet. if you're military connected then I'd suggest Sigsbee Point at Key West Naval Air Station. we decided not to pull last time and stayed in the single wide mobiles rentals at Trumbo Point Naval Air Station. easy walk to downtown Key West. can't beat the cost, convenience, and the security of staying on the base.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Curry Hammock is a very nice state park with nice seperation between most sites.

All I could afford wrote:
Chief neon... I'm jealous of you paying $20 per nite in Fiesta RV park, we just got back from a week there in January and paid over $100 per nite! We had a great time, and only 70 miles to Key West. Couldn't beat the view from our site though...

What site # was that ? It's beautiful ...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
jyrostng wrote:
I was very disappointed with the beaches, I traveled all the way to the end of the Keys in my RV after the last NASCAR race at Homestead, no beaches, if you are expecting something like Panama City or Daytona Beach, you will be disappointed. We were.

You are correct that there are very few white sand beaches in the keys but there is more to the experience than just beaches. The vistas are unmatchable any where else and the lifestyle is 2nd to none. If you are after beautiful beaches the Florida Panhandle has some of the prettiest in the world.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
There are 4 state parks with camping in the Keys that offer affordable camping. Plan early and reservations are a must.

More likely to hit the lottery than get a site in a state park in the keys

And yet I have camped at all 4. It's all about planning
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We have a membership with Thousand Trails and RPI that let's us stay in the Keys at a affordable price. Last year during the off season April - September we stayed at Fiesta RV Resort and Sunshine RV Resort for three week each for under $20.00 a night which is cheaper than the State parks. We liked Fiesta but Sunshine is closer to Key West.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon