cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping in Olympic and Mt. Rainier National Parks

Retdep
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Olympic and Mt. Rainier Parks in June. It looks as if the majority of campsites have been reserved already on the weekends, weekdays have some openings.
It appears that the Park service has kept some sites as non-reservable (walkup sites).
My question is, do those walkup sites fill rapidly each day? If we show up without a reservation what are our chances of getting one of the walkup sites on a weekend?
We are flexible in changing sites in that we have a B+ camper and no toad so we will be driving the camper around during the day.
2019 Winnebago View
2016 Ford Focus Toad
10 REPLIES 10

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
We went to Mt Rainier last June and could not get into the NP CG which was crowded. We stayed at a NFS CG La Wis Wis just out side the park in the NF. Sites were bigger and much less crowded. There is a nice aqua marine river running through the CG. A short hike up the river are some nice deep pools that my GS and I snorkeled in, lots of white fish on the bottom. For Olympic NP is was the same thing we ended up staying at South Beach an overflow CG right on the ocean. It was nice saw whales, orcas and even a large white shark chasing a baby whale. Don't miss Cape Flattery while in Olympic, it had to be one of the prettiest places that we have been to. Stayed at Mora CG which had a lot of sites available and was a short drive to Cape Flattery. My experience is the NFS CG's are larger usually more secluded and easier to get into than the NP CG's.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it were me I would camp outside the Parks. Then you can have some peace and quiet. I spent a quarter in the woods near Mt Rainier in forestry school. The remote parts of the park are spectacular. Ohanapecosh is my favorite place with 1,000 year old Doug fir and red cedar trees.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would NOT count on getting one of the hold backs. They go very quickly.
If I were you, I would make a resi in one of the local RV resorts.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen ~ thanks for the correction

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
White River opens June 22. From White River also is Sunrise Visitor center, great hiking trails and information at the visitor center.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
Also beware that a site may show as Walkup but in reality you can never get them because it’s the Host site.

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
You get a view OF mt Rainier at White River CG but not Ohanapecosh. If you are lucky get D26 at White River atnd you’ll have the greatest view of Mt Rainier. So good you won’t want to ever leave. Lots of hiking trails to get even closer views.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
"Walk up" sites are for people like me that do not make reservations.
"walk in" sites are for back packers, tent campers and the like.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
At Mt Rainier White River campground is first come first serve. No hookup with 22 ft length limit. Your B+ no problem. I think opening date is late June, need to check date. Usually never fills up during mid week and only sometimes on week ends. There is water facets and flush toilets but no dump station. Ohanapecosh campground is on the reservation system, ,no hookups but there is a dump station. You can Mt Rainier at White River CG but not at Ohanapecosh. There are also lots of Campground on Highway 410 and 12. On Highway 410 Lodgepole campground is a great USFS Campground, all paved camp sites and very clean newer outhouse. Just outside Mt Rainier on 410 is Silver Spring and The Dalles CG, very clean, all with great HOSTS. NEED more info PM ME.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Thought 'walk-up' sites were for bicyclists & back packers. As they are in Yosemite. JM2¢ YMMV