cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping protocol

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by a neighbor camper to shut off my generator because their baby is sleeping.

It was early afternoon with the heat and I need my a/c. Quiet time for the campsite is 10 pm to 7am.

I relented because we are going somewhere anyways? But will I be considered thoughtless if I did not? I only started bringing my kids into tent camping after age 5.
40 REPLIES 40

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
And yet another genny thread gets shut down...

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
MURPHY55347 wrote:
Can you believe there was a time when nobody camped with generators?

That's probably because they camped without television, electronic stuff and A/C.
Now, many want to take their living room to the CG while they're 'getting away from it all', go figure.

Yep! Yep! Yep! That's why we purchase $80,000 Fifth Wheels and $200,000 motor homes! :B

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Generators have to be the most touchy subject on here.

Mine is so quiet I cannot hear it inside the camper when t's running.

Who cares whether you can hear your own genset? ... the issue is always whether others camping nearby can hear it. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
MURPHY55347 wrote:
Can you believe there was a time when nobody camped with generators?

That's probably because they camped without television, electronic stuff and A/C.
Now, many want to take their living room to the CG while they're 'getting away from it all', go figure.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
To OP;
You were asked to shut off the genny because the baby is sleeping. Not trying to get to sleep, but actually already sleeping. And the genny is already on. Sounds to me that if you shut it off, the baby is likely to wake up, so you should do the favor and keep the genny running.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Every baby is different. Just because one baby is able to sleep with noise doesn't mean all babies are able to do so. Just like some adults must sleep with a fan running and others can't sleep with a fan running. To state that every baby should be able to sleep through noise is unrealistic.

The OP has acknowledged that the parents were polite with their request - if not, by his own admittance he would have refused. Yet, he thinks that their bringing a baby camping (of which there are NO rules against anywhere) should not be allowed because he believes his right to use a generator all day long (of which rules against do exist in places) is more important. Maybe the OP should find some adults only campgrounds.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Instead of thinking of all of my actions being โ€œwithin the rulesโ€ or โ€œmy rightsโ€ I try to excercise a little common sense and โ€œwhat if I were themโ€ thinking. We all have to share many places on this planet. How much Iโ€™m willing to do that depends upon how Iโ€™m approached.

Babies should be able to sleep through even loud noises when itโ€™s a steady white noise type of sound like a generator. Parents working too hard to โ€œmake it quietโ€ for their little onesโ€™ naps arenโ€™t doing them or their children any favors. Ours would sleep wherever they were when they got tired enough.

The OP should be commended for at least asking, unless he was only looking for a specific answer.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
To everyone, I am within campsite rules. My generator is not running inside quite hours (10 pm to 7 am), I am within camp rules of noise level of generators (68 dB) and way below.

And yes, if it was nasty in his approach, he'll get a stern no. And a lecture that I'm within camp rules and he should not be bringing a baby in the camping -- that might disturb everyone else with their all nigh crying.

My question is, shouldn't other campers know the rules themselves and should not be into others' if they are not in violation of those rules -- and if they are, they should approach the camp host or rangers. That's certainly what I'll do. Or is it just men camp ethics and protocol.

So, you were running your generator from 7 am to 10 pm. Someone asked you to turn it off for a couple hours so their baby could sleep. And your response is they shouldn't bring a baby because it might cry during the night???

There is no rule banning babies from camping. There are rules about generator use. Seems you are being a bit selfish.

Oh, and many places limit generator use outside of quiet hours. Are you certain the place you were at didn't have "generator hours" outside of the quiet hours?

Me thinks we need some literacy and reading comprehension lessons here.

Or, know what meds to prescribe when someone is hearing things that's not been said nor written.

For chrissakes, if I'm running my generator from 7 am to 10 pm and it's within the campsite's prescribed noise level limits, then bottom line, it's nobody else's business as I'm in compliance and I'm within my rights.

To be blunt about it, it's not my business if anyone brings their baby. It becomes mine when I'm in my campsite and I'm being prevented from doing something within my rights. The generator is being shut down out of courtesy and again, if the tone is so much demanding, he would have heard something more rude and yes, that one-finger salute.
With that attitude I hope your neighbors do everything, within the rules of course, to bother the living heck out of you. Bright lights shining into your RV, a nice smoky fire blowing your way, some nice hiphop music starting at 7AM, barking dogs and screaming children, all within the rules and all incredibly rude and annoying , would be a good start. After all, it is, as you say, their rights. Enjoy your camping. experience.

I hope I never run into a camper like the OP.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
To everyone, I am within campsite rules. My generator is not running inside quite hours (10 pm to 7 am), I am within camp rules of noise level of generators (68 dB) and way below.

And yes, if it was nasty in his approach, he'll get a stern no. And a lecture that I'm within camp rules and he should not be bringing a baby in the camping -- that might disturb everyone else with their all nigh crying.

My question is, shouldn't other campers know the rules themselves and should not be into others' if they are not in violation of those rules -- and if they are, they should approach the camp host or rangers. That's certainly what I'll do. Or is it just men camp ethics and protocol.

So, you were running your generator from 7 am to 10 pm. Someone asked you to turn it off for a couple hours so their baby could sleep. And your response is they shouldn't bring a baby because it might cry during the night???

There is no rule banning babies from camping. There are rules about generator use. Seems you are being a bit selfish.

Oh, and many places limit generator use outside of quiet hours. Are you certain the place you were at didn't have "generator hours" outside of the quiet hours?

Or, know what meds to prescribe when someone is hearing things that's not been said nor written.

For chrissakes, if I'm running my generator from 7 am to 10 pm and it's within the campsite's prescribed noise level limits, then bottom line, it's nobody else's business as I'm in compliance and I'm within my rights.

To be blunt about it, it's not my business if anyone brings their baby. It becomes mine when I'm in my campsite and I'm being prevented from doing something within my rights. The generator is being shut down out of courtesy and again, if the tone is so much demanding, he would have heard something more rude and yes, that one-finger salute.
With that attitude I hope your neighbors do everything, within the rules of course, to bother the living heck out of you. Bright lights shining into your RV, a nice smoky fire blowing your way, some nice hiphop music starting at 7AM, barking dogs and screaming children, all within the rules and all incredibly rude and annoying , would be a good start. After all, it is, as you say, their rights. Enjoy your camping. experience.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
Why is it that every thread about generators devolves into a urination confrontation?

Because it is a subject that people feel very strongly about. As an inverter genny owner I hate the noise.

Nobody cares how much noise it makes inside the unit. That is the owners problem. The issue is how much noise travels outside the owners campsite to impact on others around him.

In my boating days we all had gennys. It happens that they were all slower turning diesel gennys but they were not inverter gennys. The difference is that typically we were all rafted together overnight. 5 boats or more could be one noisy group with gennys running. Our method was to run a couple hours in the morning for charging & cooking & run a few hours in the evening for charging & cooking. The rest of the time we relied on sizeable battery banks & inverters for 120V needs.

Anchoring under trees was not an option. We took the heat full on. The one advantage we did have over RVs was the ability on anchor to swing into whatever breeze there was & channel that into cabins. The attitude was, if you want A/C stay at home. Rough it a little bit.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
That explains it. Champion Dual Fuel non inverter 3600 rpm noise box. I'd have you turn it off too. Don't worry, I'd never camp next to you. I camp on my own land 99% of the time. Donb't do the next to thing.

Champion does make a dual fuel inverter 3400. Alot quieter.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
Why is it that every thread about generators devolves into a urination confrontation?

Probably because you have an onboard Quiet Pac...lol

Generators have to be the most touchy subject on here. If everyone bought Inverters there would be no urination confrontation.

Mine is so quiet I cannot hear it inside the camper when t's running.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
2oldman wrote:
What kind of generator?

I was going to ask but you beat me to it...

If it was a open frame noise maker I'd ask to shut it off too. and if it continued I'd wait for dark and trundle over there and pour in a cup full of pop in the gas tank. But never having camped in a campground with other campers, it was never an issue for us even though we run a quiet inverter unit.

Of course we don't have ac in the RV or at home. Never needed it.

I have a Champion dual fuel and set on propane and with noise dampening enclosure. And I did measure dB level for each set up before I even set camping. Read campground rules too.

And yes, you'll be going back with all your front teeth knocked out and maybe some broken bones should I see you attempting that on my generator or camper. And that camping ethics says you have to tell the host if your camping neighbor has violation in camping rules?

But let me guess...

That explains it. Champion Dual Fuel non inverter 3600 rpm noise box. I'd have you turn it off too. Don't worry, I'd never camp next to you. I camp on my own land 99% of the time. Donb't do the next to thing.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB