cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campsite Liability - insurance issues

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
My RV insurer (National Interstate) tells me that when we rent an RV site we become liable for any mishaps on the site similar to at our homes, e.g. If a visitor trips on the fire pit and cracks his skull. They have coverage called "vacation liability" for those issues.
This got me thinking. When I rent a cabin in the mountains I expect the owner to carry the insurance. Why would RV sites be different?
My homeowners insurance agent (State Farm) is not familiar with that concept and says it may be a secondary coverage with the owner carrying the primary. she is researching it because I asked for a quote on the RV coverage.
Is this a real issue or is the insurance company intimidating me to double insure like they do for rental cars?
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds
30 REPLIES 30

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
PenMan wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
OFDPOS wrote:
Maybe its different in NC ?? But any vehicle I ever bought and financed the Insurance comp required FULL coverage ! None of "just what state law required"...

It does have full coverage when hooked to the TV. All the finance company is interested in, is recouping their money. They do that thru Comp, and collision.
So my TT has it's own comp, and collision. But it only has liability while hooked to the TV. Liability only covers what the TT does to someone else's property. So the finance company don't care about that. And since the TT won't run into any one's property while parked. It doesn't need it. But a limb CAN fall on it, or someone could run into it on site. So it has comp, and collision.

Interesting. I wonder if you need liability insurance if you unhook your TT from the TV and forget to put out the chocks. Your trailer starts a nice run down hill into a very expensive Class A. What do you think?

I honestly don't believe I would be camping on a site that un level.

and I just got to ask. Why do y'all sit around and think up such crazy stuff. If I worried about crazy stuff like that. I would be afraid to leave the house. Man, go out and LIVE a little.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
PenMan wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
OFDPOS wrote:
Maybe its different in NC ?? But any vehicle I ever bought and financed the Insurance comp required FULL coverage ! None of "just what state law required"...

It does have full coverage when hooked to the TV. All the finance company is interested in, is recouping their money. They do that thru Comp, and collision.
So my TT has it's own comp, and collision. But it only has liability while hooked to the TV. Liability only covers what the TT does to someone else's property. So the finance company don't care about that. And since the TT won't run into any one's property while parked. It doesn't need it. But a limb CAN fall on it, or someone could run into it on site. So it has comp, and collision.

Interesting. I wonder if you need liability insurance if you unhook your TT from the TV and forget to put out the chocks. Your trailer starts a nice run down hill into a very expensive Class A. What do you think?

It`s no different than if you were towing it and it became disconnected from the TV.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
OFDPOS wrote:

Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
"" Is this a real issue or is the insurance company intimidating me to double insure like they do for rental cars? ""

Its usually an issue only for Fulltime RV'ers who have no homeowners policy. Most typical homeowners policies extend their liability coverages to protect you outside your home, including during your travels. Since fulltime RV'ers don't have any home with homeowners policy protection, they need the special "Fulltimers" RV policy which is a combination of a homeowners & vehicle coverages.
Also, like any other insurance and legal question, it depends on which state this accident occurs in. the insurance regulations and liability laws vary widely from state to state. Your homeowners policy may protect you in your home state, but there may be gaps in its coverage in other states. An umbrella liability policy is usually more protective in a wider variety of situations & states. The bottom line is that anyone can sue anyone for any reason. Its not a question of whether you're liable in that campsite, its a question of who's going to pay the ongoing legal fees to get a judge or jury to agree you were not at fault.

Its not unusual for there to be overlapping policies protecting the multiple parties involved. The campground has their own policy, the victim has their policy and you should have your policy. When liability is involved it often takes years in court to reach a settlement or final ruling. These liability cases often end with mixed results, the campground is found 70% liable, you're found to be 20% liable and the victim is found to be 10% liable.
Or after 24 months with 12 different court appearances requiring you to take time off and travel to the out of state court, and having spent $50,000 on your own lawyers, you may be found not liable. Big deal if no ones paying your expenses. The multiple insurance companies and their high paid lawyers are going to point the finger at everyone else and the biggest value of your policy is the insurance company defending you with their lawyers through this process. Who was right or wrong becomes far less important than who can afford to go on paying their lawyers to fight on year after year. In fact many insurance companies will try to reach a settlement and pay off the victim even though they agree you had no fault or responsibility, its just a cheaper business decision than ongoing legal fees.
Jim

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I would think campgrounds and rv parks would be pushing it. For instance, Oceean Lakes in myrtle beach requires $50,000 liability insurance for personal golf carts. They don't require anything for their campsites.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
OFDPOS wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
For those who don't value their fellow RVer's opinions I must respond. I am the original poster and as my post says I am in conversations with my two insurance agents on this topic. However, I find that learning the experiences, opinions, and suggestions of the members on this forum are extremely valuable in helping me think about many sides of an issue, formulate good questions, in this case for the agents, and generally become more educated on a topic.
I believe businesses are out to make money (off me) not look out for my best interests. I also know that employees are seldom experts in their field even though they may think so. If you chose to blindly follow a business recommendations without doing due diligence then a I say suit yourself.
I agree that some opinions are not worth much.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I met with my long time insurance agent recently to review coverage on my auto, home and rv policies. He told me that when the rv is not in tow, such as parked at home or at campgrounds, our homeowners policy covers the rv for liability and damages due to acts of God.
I used examples such as a tree falling on the rig, lightning damage, or a person falling down the steps, etc. He said that our homeowners policy would kick in at this point as long as the rv is not in tow or on roadway where other vehicles are concerned.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
bid_time wrote:
OP, if I had an insurance agent that I trusted and that knew my insurance coverages, then I would dam sure trust what they were telling me over what some joker on the internet that knew nothing about me or what I was insured for was saying. If you want a second opinion go to another agent and show him your insurance policies and get his opinion. Any opinion you get here isn't worth jack.

That is the best response that I've seen!

Mike

x3...even though some of us on here might actually have some knowledge about the topic.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bid_time wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
bid_time wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
when you rent a motel room, are you liable for accidents in there?
bumpy
I can guarantee if an ember goes up off your campfire and burns your neighbors $500,000.00 Prevost to the ground your going to be sued. The judge will decide whether or not your liable and I don't think "renting" will be a factor in his decision. And I wouldn't be surprised if you got sued if you were smoking in bed and burnt the motel down.

Wouldn't they have to prove it came from my fire? and then there is. You parked in a area you knew would have campfires. So it's up to you to use reasonable care. Shouldn't have parked beside a fire.
Like I said, the judge gets to determine if you're liable. And if that happens, you better hope the insurance co. decides you're covered.

I WON'T BE. Because I don't have any. All I have is what is required by law, and my loan company. The TT has liability as long as it is hooked to the TV. None when not, and of course. It has comp, and collision all the time.
But judge. I didn't even have a fire. It was his. Prove me wrong.

BTW. that is just about the stupidest scenario I have ever heard. Much like the RVer that tried to sue McDonalds because he ran into the sign. Beyond stupid.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
Terryallan wrote:
bid_time wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
when you rent a motel room, are you liable for accidents in there?
bumpy
I can guarantee if an ember goes up off your campfire and burns your neighbors $500,000.00 Prevost to the ground your going to be sued. The judge will decide whether or not your liable and I don't think "renting" will be a factor in his decision. And I wouldn't be surprised if you got sued if you were smoking in bed and burnt the motel down.

Wouldn't they have to prove it came from my fire? and then there is. You parked in a area you knew would have campfires. So it's up to you to use reasonable care. Shouldn't have parked beside a fire.
Like I said, the judge gets to determine if you're liable. And if that happens, you better hope the insurance co. decides you're covered.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
darsben wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
the_vfox wrote:
Does this also mean you can sue them for trespassing? Seems it should go both ways.

In your rig yes.
On the campsite NO

Sounds like they are just trying to sell more insurance to you.

Why not? I you can be held liable an accident, you should have a reasonable expectation of the space rented to you is in your control. Therefore anyone not invited is trespassing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our rig a few years ago, if this is what "camping" has come down to, I am glad we no longer rent a space in a campground. Can't sit around the fire anymore without fretting if someone will sue me because they do something stupid in my rented space.......

I think your agent is milking you for a few dollars, see if they can provide information comparing policies sold verses claims paid out on such a rider on an insurance policy.
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"