cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canopies?

forthefunofit94
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a 10x10 or maybe 12x12 canopy. I think I have narrowed it down to the Coleman or the EZup at Sam's Club. Does anyone have experience with either of these. I'm looking for ease of setup and weight.
Thanks
David & Karen Castellon
2015 F150 XLT
302 w/tow & anti-sway package
Backup camera & brake controller
EQUAL-I-ZER hitch
28 REPLIES 28

forthefunofit94
Explorer
Explorer
I think I've made my choice (the one my DW wanted all along). I'm going with the EZ up at Sam's. It was hands down on this one. Thanks for all your help. Great community here.
David & Karen Castellon
2015 F150 XLT
EQUAL-I-ZER hitch

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
I wouldn't leave it (or even an EZup tent) up, if we are going to be away from the camper and can't get back to the camper in a couple minutes. The same as with the awning. Last thing I want is an ezup impelled into the side of my MH.

I've read a number of folks make this kind of comment about taking down awnings, canopies, etc. I've never subscribed to that thinking.

I've camped in 70+ mph winds, hurricane rains, floods, on hillsides, on unlevel rocks, even IN a canoe, and believe proper gear that is properly oriented and anchored should hold and be relied upon.

It seems like a LOT of extra work to be putting awnings and canopies up and down all the time. I don't fault those who do it, but it's just not us.

We've shredded tarps in a couple of days in some of the weather, but even with torrential downpours for hours/days at a time (remember I posted our flooded campground trip last fall?) and our canopy still looks like new- except for a small brown spot where the citronella candel was too close to the screen and left some smokey residue.

EZ-Up has some good products, especially their HEAVY-DUTY version. I've watched MANY of the lighter canopies literally sail through the air, roll through the event, and the ones anchored but weak dump about a million gallons of water on items meant to be protected from the rain.

My FIL has used his EZ-UP commercial/heavy duty canopy for a number of years and it has never failed or leaked, either. They also sell tarps as side walls for theirs.

IMHO, our GM does a better job of reflecting the heat and the screen is nice to have, but the EZ-UP heavy duty would be our next choice.

Good luck on your choice, let us know what you choose!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
wbwood wrote:

We like this one also.

DH purchased one of those a couple of years ago. It is really hard to get it to velcro really tight.

Once it is up, it looks good and keeps the sun off really well. We leave ours up all the time and came back following a surprise thunderstorm and it was bent and I thought it was broken. Took the cover off and it went back to normal, but putting up and down, there is a slight catch in it.

Personally, I would much rather have an EZup than the canopy.

The velcro works fine on ours. The instructions said not to leave it up if there is wind I believe. I wouldn't leave it (or even an EZup tent) up, if we are going to be away from the camper and can't get back to the camper in a couple minutes. The same as with the awning. Last thing I want is an ezup impelled into the side of my MH.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Gander Mt. has our vote. We were lucky enough to get a "special" and got a good price. Love the sides to block the wind and rain. One person can put it up, but two is easier.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:

We like this one also.

DH purchased one of those a couple of years ago. It is really hard to get it to velcro really tight.

Once it is up, it looks good and keeps the sun off really well. We leave ours up all the time and came back following a surprise thunderstorm and it was bent and I thought it was broken. Took the cover off and it went back to normal, but putting up and down, there is a slight catch in it.

Personally, I would much rather have an EZup than the canopy.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
EZ-up...

We like this one also.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my first up in the 2007 season to use at my home baseโ€ฆ it is set up 6 to 7 months a year and has withstood heavy thunderstorms and high windsโ€ฆ when I bought I figured if it last 2 seasons that would be fineโ€ฆ it still good for another season and still doesnโ€™t leakโ€ฆ I paid $40 dollars on clearance and wish I had bought every one they hadโ€ฆ

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

forthefunofit94
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Seem to have a concensus.
David & Karen Castellon
2015 F150 XLT
EQUAL-I-ZER hitch

cmoecmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Both are nice. We have the 12 x 12 Coleman. Bought it at Wallyworld.

Be careful which version you buy. I have been sunburned under the plain white ones. Make sure the canvas tops have a UV blocker. You will be much happier in the long run.

Craig
Craig & Annette
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax
2014 300x12 XLR Toy Hauler
2008 Harley Ultra Classic

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a "Quick Shade" for over 25 years (the same one). We started using it with our tent, then with our PUP, and have used it with all 3 of our TT's. It's lasted this long, and still is good. We take care of it too, spray it every couple years with tent sealer, and NEVER leave it out in the wind or rain. We'll leave the frame in the wind and rain, but never the cover. It's still going strong, and we still love it. We thought about getting a bigger one, but until this one completely dies, there's no need to.

Quick Shade Web Site click here.

See my profile (left) to see the years we've owned each of these campers. Yes, we've had the same Quick Shade all these years!

Our Pop-Up Camper:

Our Dutchmen TT:

Our Springdale TT:

Our Outback TT. Tilting it at an angle like this blocks the sun and creates more shade under the awning. We do this quite often, depending upon which direction the sun is coming from. Also, tilting like this makes a good wind-break. Put the slope toward the wind, and sit under it like a lean-too. This position serves a lot of purposes.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Before you buy, take a look at this one;
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gander-Mountain-Combo-Canopy&i=76090...

Comes complete with screens and wind walls.

It is also the only one I found that advertises as water repellent. Most are only advertised as shade canopies which means pack it away before it rains.

We like ours, sheds water like a duck's back, stands up to wind and is well built.

Another vote for the Gander Mountain canopy + screen room + 3 side curtains. The top and curtains are aluminized on the inside, relecting the heat quite well.

As for strength, we used it last year at Black Moshannon State Park during the torrential storms that flooded out several communities and prompted the military helicopters to come out.

It is nice to have a choice between being open and looking around and rolling down a side curtain at night for a bit of privacy. Also worked nicely to get a breakfast view of the woods instead of the other campers before we were ready to 'face the day.' Likely our neighbors appreciated it, too! ๐Ÿ˜‰

The storage bag is wheeled and is not impossible to restow the canopy.

It has post anchors and high-visability orange tiedowns on each corner. The screen has zipper openings on two sides, which allows you to open it for flow through air when you want.

We were also in another big, big storm near a lake in the fall that ended up flooding out the campground as the lake overflowed its banks by about 100yds. I did park our SUV in front of it on the wind side.

Didn't have any leaks, which is saying something!

We saw and assisted with other nearby canopies of varying makes.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
We have an EZup 10x10 "Straight Leg" Comes with walls and screens, also purchased the Weight bags that velcro to the legs-fill them with dirt or sand and it is very secure!!
Local Big5 sporting goods usually has them on sale in the early spring for about 1/2 off,, We bought or last one during there sale for $59.
Ezup has replacement parts and fabric for most of there canopies.
Good luck on your purchase, we use ours quite a bit!

sandtsherman
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the one you get has legs that go straight up instead of going up at an angle. First, they measure the size by the base which means the top will be smaller. We have a 10x10 but the top is 8.5x8.5.

Also, if you get one with straight legs, you can put two together much easier.
Steve & Terri
2008 Ford F250 Powerstroke 6.4L
2013 Coachman Chaparral Signature 327RLKS
Look out! We're newbies!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We loved our EZup and it lasted us almost 10 years before it finally bit the dust. We have had 2 or 3 other brands since them and they last a year or so and then are junk. Go with the EZup.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW