beeman1
Explorer
Explorer
Do I have register a car dolly?
9 REPLIES 9

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
If the dolly is doing 100mph and loaded with whacky tobacco you may get stopped, other than that I wouldn't worry. Been to 46 states so far and 55or60 thousand miles no problem.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
tobydad wrote:
I believe that in Massachusetts, as long as the car that is up on the dolly is registered, then the dolly does not need to be registered.

And, no registered vehicle on the dolly?

A dolly doesn't have to be registered w/ or w/o a vehicle on it.
If there is a vehicle on it, the vehicle must be registered (or tow permit) If the vehicle on the dolly is not registered, the driver can be cited for towing an unregistered vehicle that has wheels in contact w/ the hiway.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Registration rules and procedures are VERY "State Specific".
The only place you are going to get a valid answer is from the applicable State authorities in your state!
While it does not do you any good at all, I can say that here in Montana a dolly does not need to be titled or registered. BUT, one can do so if desired.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
tobydad wrote:
I believe that in Massachusetts, as long as the car that is up on the dolly is registered, then the dolly does not need to be registered.

And, no registered vehicle on the dolly?
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the time a dolly is listed as equipment and does not require to be registered. We just purchased a ACME dolly and even though we do have a title it does not have to be registered here in NC.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

ronfisherman
Moved from Class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
New hampshire does not require registration of tow dollies:
Saf-C 504.13 Single Axle Tow Dolly.

(a) Registration of single axle tow dollies shall not be required in this state.

(b) For the purposes of this section, โ€œsingle axle tow dollyโ€ means a vehicle designed and used exclusively to transport another motor vehicle and upon which the front or rear wheels of the towed motor vehicle are mounted, while the other wheels of the towed motor vehicle remain in contact with the ground.

Quoted from http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/state_agencies/saf-c500.html

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check with your DMV. They may or may not consider it a trailer.