cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cetane boost

sem1
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you diesel owners use it. I'm buying a new ford and they are still recommending it,
47 REPLIES 47

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's about time for a new lube test. This one is back in the flathead time of diesel fuels. Things change.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
sjholt wrote:
Opti-Lube XPD contains:

Petroleum naphtha: Solvent-Refined Heavy
Trimethylbenzene: solvent

2-Ethylhexyl nitrate: cetane enhancer

1 ,2,4-Trimethylbenzene: solvent

1 ,3,5-Trimethylbenzene: solvent

Propylene glycol ethers: are commonly used as solvents

Xylene: xylene refers to a group of three benzene derivatives which are used as a solvent

Cumene: is used as a thinner for paints,

Naphthalene: is a natural constituent of coal tar (approximately 11%) (HSBD, 1995). It is present in gasoline and diesel fuels. Naphthalene is used as a moth repellent,

Ethylbenzene: is an organic chemical compound which is an aromatic hydrocarbon. Its major use is in the petrochemical industry as an intermediate compound for the production of styrene, which in turn is used for making polystyrene, a commonly used plastic material

So-- Where is the LUBE?

Maybe the base is the lube. It is rated #2 in actual testing. "HFRR 317, 319 micron improvement" Beats out everything but 2% REG SoyPower biodiesel in that particular test. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/64-maintenance-fluids/177728-lubricity-additiv...
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

goin2themountai
Explorer
Explorer
diesel kleen. My duramax was the last year before the regen. Mobile one synthetic all the time and some Stabil in the winter keep it pretty happy
Puller: '08 HD3500 4x4 dually,CC Duramax/Allison.
Pullee: 2008 Montana 3605RL 10th Anniversary Package, Reese 16k w/ slider (holdover from old shortbed)

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
john&bet wrote:
sem1 wrote:
How many of you diesel owners use it. I'm buying a new ford and they are still recommending it,
Guess I am not buying a Ford. If they want it used they should supply free. JMHO.

Jeezzzzz! It's a RECOMMENDATION, not an order! Do what you want!

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
sem1 wrote:
Guess I am not buying a Ford. If they want it used they should supply free. JMHO.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you think that cetane levels are so inconsistent ? I can't remember the last time I saw the cetane posted on a pump. All fuel suppliers must meet the federal minimum which is fine for just about everyone, including the truckers.

Truckers want to make sure their fuel does not jell up but I don't think they're too concerned about cetane.

sem1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. It seems like cheap insurance. Cetane amounts in fuel seems to be all over the place depending on supplier/rgion etc.The worst seems to be the big truck stops/what do the semi operators do???

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
I use Power service regularly in my 2001 7.3 Power stroke.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Redsky wrote:
On pre-2011 engines it is a good idea to help with the lubricity or lack thereof with ULSD fuel. For a new engine it helps but it is not needed to the same degree.

Biodiesel is your enemy and avoid any B20 in your truck as it is highly prone to gelling. I do not know about Ford but with GM any problems to the engine from gelling and using biodiesel are excluded from warranty coverage.

Take me to school on this. I find that both the smart cars and the motorhome run nicer on biodiesel, quieter anyway. Is there a drawback when running bio-diesel in a southern climate?

Thanks in advance.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
On pre-2011 engines it is a good idea to help with the lubricity or lack thereof with ULSD fuel. For a new engine it helps but it is not needed to the same degree.

Biodiesel is your enemy and avoid any B20 in your truck as it is highly prone to gelling. I do not know about Ford but with GM any problems to the engine from gelling and using biodiesel are excluded from warranty coverage.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Federal regulations require a minimum 45 cetane and also require any vehicle sold in the US be designed to operate at that cetane. They should do the same for cars requiring all to use regular fuel as there is no need to design for higher octane with todays technology.

bigg-limo
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I`de say something about the cost of owning a diesel. but I don`t want to rub it in!

Yep - HDT mfgrs are going to switch to gas any day now..:R..:R

~

Yep, just gotta add more gears, so that you can multiply all that torque to get the load moving.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I have never heard about people having to use cetane boosting additives. If something is tossed in the diesel tank, it usually is something to kill algae and other bugs that love feasting on the oil when the rig is in storage.

Good morning.

Cetane additives are often recommended for foreign diesels as they are designed to run with higher quality fuels not generally found in North America. Can't speak for anyone else but it has been our experience that a cetane booster makes a noticeable difference in our Mercedez diesels. It also helps prempt problems with the EGR and turbo in our particular model. I agree that not all diesels will see a benefit from running an additive.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard about people having to use cetane boosting additives. If something is tossed in the diesel tank, it usually is something to kill algae and other bugs that love feasting on the oil when the rig is in storage.