cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning black streaks

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone out here have a tip for removing the black streaks that all campers seem to get after sitting for a while?

I've tried:

Magic Erasers
Simple Green
Soap
Citrus cleaner
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
37 REPLIES 37

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I know awesome does a good job removing wax , works good on soap scum on a bath tub too

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
steve-n-vicki wrote:
X3 on awesome cleaner

Gotta be careful with Awesome. I used it on an older aluminum sided trailer that was also oxidized and if you let Awesome sit on the paint too long, it will actually dissolve the paint.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
An RV tech told me that it is butyl caulk (or tape) that causes the black streaks.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on awesome cleaner

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all
Magilla

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
No leaves on my roof, still get streaks. Thought once I got away from rubber roofs I'd be done with it, nope. It's just dirt and such on the roof, starts a week or 2 after washing it. I use Simple Green although Ive heard it takes off the wax too, if you wax.

I;ve wondered if it's worse on the east coast then the west.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
Black streak remover is the only thing that completely removes them. If you have already waxed you will need to reapply the wax.

After you get rid of them wash your roof, then wash it again before putting it to bed for the winter. That will minimize the black streaks.

Good advise on the roof wash. I had not thought to do that but it make so much sense.

Start off with washing your roof first... THEN start in on the black streaks removal. Polish /buff then a good couple of coats of wax...

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Black streak remover is the only thing that completely removes them. If you have already waxed you will need to reapply the wax.

After you get rid of them wash your roof, then wash it again before putting it to bed for the winter. That will minimize the black streaks.

Good advise on the roof wash. I had not thought to do that but it make so much sense.
Magilla

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer

Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
pawpaw47 wrote:
I use LA's Totally Awesome cleaner that I get at the Dollar Tree store. I've tried lots of other cleaners and I haven't found anything that works any better. The best part is that it only costs $1.00.

^^THIS^^^

Spray on, wipe off with clean cloth. Or spray cloth and wipe off.

BEST I've found!

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
I use LA's Totally Awesome cleaner that I get at the Dollar Tree store. I've tried lots of other cleaners and I haven't found anything that works any better. The best part is that it only costs $1.00.
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

mattmountz94
Explorer
Explorer
My wife gave me some H2o cleaning products and I laughed at her. Sure enough I tried it and they came off with ease. Simple pad that you get wet and rub on this clay bar thinger

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
My RainKap system stops 100% of black streaks from roof runoff. It also prevents/reduces greatly any black streaks from things like windows or wall fixtures even after 6 to 8 months between normal washings.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought some Black Streak Remover at Walmart, and they came right off. I thought they were caused by one of the caulks or sealants that are used.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
If you cover the RV there should not be any or many black streaks. IMHO they come from leaves that fill the drain channels on the roof and the runoff stains the walls. The cover keeps the leaves out.

I understand what your saying BUT this advice after the black streaks are already there is like when someone with a sun burn asks for aloe and you say "if you had stayed out of the sun you would not need aloe"

๐Ÿ™‚
Magilla