cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CR-V and a motorcycle on it's hitch

trikepilot
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to calculate the weight shift that will occur when I rack mount a motorcycle to the receiver hitch on a 2007 Honda CR-V and whether or not I can tow this combination safely. The receiver hitch lists a tow capacity of 4000 lbs. even though I know the CR-V is listed at 1500. The hitch also lists a tongue weight of 400 lbs. which I will not exceed.
The curb weight of the CR-V is 3400 lbs. and that is split 58% to the front axle (1972 lbs.) and 42% to the rear axle (1428 lbs.). With a wheelbase of 103 inches and a hitch position 35 inches behind the rear axle, I will be adding 18 inches of length for the bike carrier and 350 lbs. all up weight for the carrier, bike, and tie downs.
One formula I found says that A X B / C = Added weight to the rear axle.
Where A=Weight of motorcycle and gear (350 lbs.).
B=Wheelbase + Rear axle to existing receiver + Length of extended load (156 inches).
C=Wheelbase (103 inches).
This formula suggests that I will be adding 530 lbs. to the rear axle while I am only adding 350 lbs. of true weight. Does this mean that, due to the rearward projection of that weight, that I am actually removing 180 lbs. of weight from the front axle? Will this towing configuration now have 1792 lbs. on the front axle and 1958 on the rear? The specs list a front GAWR of 2310 and a rear GAWR of 2290 so I should be safe there but the concern I have is what will towing this setup be like? Will the front tires want to wander and lock up? Will rutted roads and pot holes make me wish I had bought a trailer? Or will I be a happy camper with a light motorcycle mounted to the back of a CR-V flat tower behind my motorhome?
Anyone ever tried this before?
1995 Jamboree Sport, towing a 2005 Ford Ranger, carrying a 2014 KTM 500EXC and a canoe
3 REPLIES 3

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had 09 CRV and now a 2011 Element which I carried a 200 pound Vespa on. The hitches were both rated for 350 pounds. The carrier is mostly aluminum and weighs less than 50#.

I can definitely feel the scooter driving. Nothing squirrelly but it feels close to full load.
Especially on rough roads or bumps.

You may want to weigh before and after.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

trikepilot
Explorer
Explorer
It is a class III hitch and mounts in 3 locations. There are plates at both ends of the tube as well as a center bolt straight up from the draw bar tube.
1995 Jamboree Sport, towing a 2005 Ford Ranger, carrying a 2014 KTM 500EXC and a canoe

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your numbers are more accurate than mine. I used a 2/1 ration for wheel base/overhand from rear axle and came up with 525. Yes you are taking aprox 1/2 the weight of the load off the front axle and putting it on the rear axle. With 1800 lbs still on the front axle the CRV will still tow fine. Click on "How I tow below" to confirm why I know this.

My concern is the hitch on the CRV needs to be a better than average... class 3 with a 2" receiver. I would want one that mounts with three bolts/side, not two.
06-06 CRV

2012-15 CRV and I would want to add brackets that go forward to the bolts used by the other style of hitch for a 2012+.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...