cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need air bags?

MLWalton
Explorer
Explorer
The 5th wheel I'm considering getting has a hitch weight of 1990lbs and just curious if I need air bags. My truck is a long bed CC 4x4 6.2L with a rear GAWR of 6340lbs. Thanks.
22 REPLIES 22

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Best to actually weigh it's axle, fully loaded ready to go RV'ing....but....while shopping...ball park guesstimating you will need both listed dry weights & ratings AND the GVWR of the trailer(s)

You can figure the tongue or PIN percentage weight of it's dry condition...then use that percentage to multiply the GVWR and that begets a ball park tongue or PIN to figure what your TV is rated for

Of course you should also weigh your TV axle's fully loaded ready to go in order to not be guesstimating there too
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:

JIMNLIN, covers it pretty well! It would be nice to have the โ€œDryโ€ and GVWR of the 5er then we would have a better idea as to what the pin could weigh in the end.
Also Ford F250โ€™s tend to have soft springs and squat a bit more. Load it up hook it up look at it and weigh it.

IMHO, the only use for "Dry Weight" numbers is to sell too much trailer to a fool. When shopping, the number to look at is the GVWR, and the percentage of that you carry on the hitch. If those number will fit in the ratings of the TV, you can get to good. Load up for a trip, run across the Cat. Drop the trailer, and do it again. Find a 3rd grader to do the arithmetic for you, then decide what you need to leave home.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN, covers it pretty well! It would be nice to have the โ€œDryโ€ and GVWR of the 5er then we would have a better idea as to what the pin could weigh in the end.
Also Ford F250โ€™s tend to have soft springs and squat a bit more. Load it up hook it up look at it and weigh it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
You won't know until you hook it up loaded for a trip.

Good advise.
Make a short trip or just load it all up and drive around the block will tell if air bags are needed.

Ford gives your truck a 6340 rawr. You have the 6.2 gasser and have a bit lighter rear axle weight (70-90 lbs) than the 6.7 diesel.
You have the truck so drop by a set of CAT scales and get the trucks front and rear axle weights.
Rear axle numbers may be around 2900-3000 lbs as it comes from the factory. This leaves around 3300 lbs for a in the bed payload.

I would use the trailers GVWR and its dry weight. Some trailers can have 1990 lb hitch weight but after loading may weigh anywhere up to 2800 lbs. Much depends on the trailer mfg CCC. Some trailers that size may have a 3500 lb CCC or 780 lb CCC like my older 11200 lb trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MLWalton
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate each comment guys.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You won't know until you hook it up loaded for a trip.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You won't need airbags for a 2K pin, but as weight is added, such as in basement, bedroom closet, under bed, etc, the pin wt will go up. As mentioned above, try it as is, you can add bags later, if needed.

Jerry

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The loaded weight will be much more. If you are still within the specs for your truck, then hitch up and see if it sags more than what you find acceptable, if so, add air bags.