cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use TV hookups at the parks you stay at?

lucky_expert
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of building a small RV park, and would like to know the general feeling towards Cable TV hookups. Is this something that you require?

I hear most campers now have built in TV options, whether it is cable or antenna. This is just a small park with 10 spots, so its not like an RV resort or anything. I am just trying to poll the average RVer decide if it is worth the time an expense to add that amenity. I probably won't add it if most people couldn't care less if it is there or not.

This forum seems like it would be a great place to get such info!
44 REPLIES 44

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an external satellite antenna so we never use the cable at the RV park. Good internet is very important to us.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
To me, if your area has a good OTA TV signal, that works for us. If not, installing cable would be a good idea.

Our coach has built-in WiFi and I also have my own Verizon WiFi jet-pack for other travel. I don't think I have ever seen good WiFI at a RV campground. So many of the reviews on campgrounds comment on bad WiFi. And, I have no idea what it takes to make it right, probably a lot of money.

The main things I look for in a campground are good pull-through sites with good approach and exit. I've been to parks with pull-through sites where I couldn't pull forward because of another camper was in the way not allowing me to make my turn. So, it turned into a back-out site which means I have to disconnect the car (only on one night stays).

Concrete pads are nice and paved roads are even better but I know that costs a lot.

Good luck on your park, we might even stay there sometime.

Can you say what city that you will be located?

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personaly, I would not even bother putting in cable unless the cable company cut me a heck of a deal. Also, who does the maintenance on the system when it is needed? Too many RV folks using satellite!

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time we will stay in BLM or NPS or NFS Campgrounds. When we stay in RV Parks we usually stay in ones that we have stayed at before, or Elks lodges or Moose Lodges. They usually have cable hook ups, that are included.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Earl E wrote:

I believe a modern park needs good wifi, cable, FHU, and easy to navigate sites. I wouldn't skip on any of those.

shortsighted not to put cable in.
bumpy

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
One more vote for, if it's just overnight, it doesn't matter. But if I plan to stay three days or more I want cable. I guess I'm different than many because most of what I watch is on cable. Most of us do not carry satellite equipment with us so I want that cable for an extended day.

I believe a modern park needs good wifi, cable, FHU, and easy to navigate sites. I wouldn't skip on any of those.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also check with cable providers in your area to see about cost, as you will probably have to have them install an amplifier, or a node. The longer the run, and more splits in the line, the worse the signal is.

Also do the currently, or plan to encrypt their singal. Most companies already encrypt so you have to have a cable box on every tv. This would be a pain for the customer and for you, because many customers would, pack up and forget all about the cable box.

They maybe willing to put in a park wide device to unscramble the signal, but again it would cost money.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My suggestion is to install conduit only and then learn what is right for your CG. It's a very small cost vs future digging for any future installation.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what I'm using the "park" for. We are now in a "National/State Park" mode, so TV is not an issue -- in fact I've taken the TV out of my B to gain space.

However, if we go into "cross country travel" mode, that's when we often stop at commercial RV parks, and then I like to have the cable.

WiFi at the RV park is generally so bad that we've given up and use our own Verizon. So I don't care what the park provides for WiFi.

So I'm pointing out that we are all different. A park that provides more options will do better than one which is just bare bones.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
It only matters during football season ;). I don't have a satellite for my camper as we are weekend warriors and we go to get way from things. We are heading out for labor day weekend, but unfortunately there will be no cable, no satellite, and not enough cell service to stream video. But we will be on a beautiful lake with my family, camper, boat, and my dog, so I can survive without football until I get back to my DVR at the house.

Honestly, I think we've only ever stayed at 2-3 parks that had cable over the last 10 years.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Guess I'm the devils advocate, if there is free cable, we will certainly use it, I'm the opposite of most, I'd rather have cable than WIFI, if there is WIFI, that's nice, if not, no big deal.

X2
You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. 🙂
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat:)
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
So are you right by the interstate in the middle of nowhere (previous post on page two), or a mile away from the interstate, up on a hill, overlooking the city?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

lucky_expert
Explorer
Explorer
So much valuable info, thanks to everybody for taking the time to share!

To answer a few questions:

Are you going to have full hookups - water/sewer/electric? Are you planning on both 30 and 50 amp service?

Yes, 50/30/20 amp electric, water, and sewer at every site

When you are placing the conduit for power, drop an extra conduit in for communications runs. It will cost next to nothing and you can add cables later.

This is a good idea..

No. I wouldn't. But then I wouldn't camp next to an Interstate unless it was a late night stop. Then I wouldn't need the cable, I'd sleep and move on. I camp to be outside.

We are actually a mile or so off the interstate, so it is nice a quiet. We are up on a hill overlooking the city, a good place to catch a good sunset!

are you going to be mostly shade, some shade or no shade?

Unfortunately, out in the panahandle of Texas, trees are hard to come by, so no shade for now. We plan on planting some but it will take some years to grow of course.

Whats most important, spaces wide enough for slides, level sites, Towed parking, long enough you don't have to drop 5W, utilities in the correct area, picnic tables, space between sites not on top of each other. TV is secondary I have books & DVD's if I want to watch something.

Good to know. Our spaces are 40' apart and 70' long so everybody will have plenty of room.

It think we will skip the cable for now and focus on Wifi and other amenities for the time being. Thanks again for all the input.

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
We have a mounted satellite dish so I look at it this way - If your park has a lot of trees and blocks the southern sky then cable is a very nice feature to have. If there is s clear shot to the sky then it doesn't matter. I also use park cable on one TV to get local weather reports, so put it in if you can afford it.
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4