cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does Odometer turn when flat towing a Chev Spark?

ontken
Explorer
Explorer
We will be flat towing a Chev Spark, manual transmission. The key must be left turned on for the steering wheel to be unlocked.

Does the odometer still turn?
2008 Jayco Melbourne
4 REPLIES 4

ontken
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your help. I found out the hard way not to turn the key to ON. The speedometer does turn there. As long as the key is turned to ACC the speedometer does not record miles towed.

Again thanks for all your replies.
2008 Jayco Melbourne

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
According to the 2013 Chevy Spark owners manual the Chevy Spark with a manual transmission:
To dinghy tow the vehicle from the
front with all four wheels on the
ground:
1. Position the vehicle to tow and
then secure it to the towing
vehicle.
2. Shift the transmission to Neutral.
3. Turn the ignition to ACC/
ACCESSORY
Never, exceed 70 mph.

Further, there are four positions for the ignition switch.
1. STOPPING THE ENGINE/LOCK/OFF
2. ACC/ACCESSORY
3. ON/RUN
4. START
In the ACC/ACCESSORY position the steering wheel unlocks and one can operate things like the radio and the windshield wipers when the engine is off. The battery could be drained with the key in the ACC/ACCESSORY position. Turning off and unplugging the 12 volt draws will reduce the amount of drain. If the odometer is illuminated in the ACC/ACCESSORY position it is possible that odometer will register miles. The salesman told me that the odometer will record miles with the key in the ACC/ACCESSORY position. I didn't believe him.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably you best bet is to setup the way you have to use and make a short run and record your before and after indicated mileage.

Probably depends on your make and model of the vehicle being towed.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
If the IGNITION is on, chances are the odometer will register the miles towed.
If the switch is in the OFF, NOT LOCKED position (if it has such a position, some newer cars don't) the odometer probably will not register the miles towed.
If the switch has to be in the ACCESSORY (ACC) position, the odometer probably will not register the miles towed.
If it has a mechanical speedometer/odometer, the miles will register regardless of switch position. It is VERY unlikely that it has a mechanical speedometer. Nearly ALL vehicles today have an electronic one.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"