cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic fridge

Dirtautoguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the hasty post as I have been trying to figure this out in between work and just wanted to see if any of you guys had some ideas? We recently acquired a 1988 kit companion camper. My dad bought it a few years ago, lived in it for month and itโ€™s sat ever since. He wanted it to get used so he gave it to us. So far all itโ€™s needed is a very deep cleaning and reseal. The only thing I canโ€™t get to work is the fridge.

It is a dometic rm 2601 my dad used it when he got the trailer and said it worked great well now the fridge wonโ€™t get cold. The freezer gets a little cold but and the fridge might just barely sometimes be a little colder than outside. It does the same thing on gas or electric and Iv checked the temps of the coils in the back and they seem pretty even the hottest being 150 degrees up higher.

Is there any other diagnostic thins I can do to figure this out? I noticed there is a single wire that goes to the fins in the fridge that Iโ€™m assuming to be a temperature sensor for the thermostat. And since the freezer gets coldish I I wondered if maybe the thermostat wasnโ€™t working?

We are trying to go camping this weekend so hopefully is ya a easy fix if not we will be using it as a ice chest.

Thanks for your input!!!
5 REPLIES 5

Dirtautoguy
Explorer
Explorer
I read about it elsewhere and we might try that after this weekend when I have some more time. Where weโ€™re going is a pretty rough road so I was wondering if that might have the same effect?

maddoget
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever heard of "burping" the refrigerator?. We used to take the refrigerator out of the cabinet and roll the it slowly, first on one side, then the top, then the other side and finally back on it's base. Wait for a minute or two before turning it to the next position. Sounds crazy, but it might just work, since the refrigerator has been sitting.
Mark Wood

Dirtautoguy
Explorer
Explorer
Iv been usually letting it sit for 4-5 hours before checking it but iv also let it go overnight as well (iv been poking at it for about a week and a half) the temperature doesnโ€™t seem to change at all with the dial

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your model of fridge is a simple cabinet type with manual controls
120V AC is direct from power cord thru selector switch to heater element
Propane is electronic ignition
Thermostat is Min to MAX (MAX setting keeps heat source running continuously)

Turn it on.set thermostat to MAX and WAIT.
Check freeze/food compartment temps AFTER 8 hours (as suggested in above post)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
how long are you running the refrig before deciding it's not working? usually takes 8-10 hours for frig section to cool. trailer is level?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand