cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dried woodwork

Muskie
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our RV for a number of years and noticed the woodwork is starting to show signs of drying out. Just thought I'd get some thoughts on bringing it back up.
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the cabinets with a solvent, light sanding, clean again, color in the dings etc (I used permanent markers and stain) and use Minwax Satin Wipe on Polyurethane (two coats). I also took off the doors and fronts. Did my kitchen cabinets (sister-in-laws also) and they came out great. Did it a few years ago. The poly finish lasts.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Muskie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have solid wood then use an oil. Wax or 'Pledge'-type products don't penetrate the wood and that's what you want.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

westend
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
westend wrote:
Oil it and use a wax like Lundmark's that has a carnuba and turpentine base stock.
This is no joke. I always use lemon oil on all my wood. Our kitchen cupboards started showing signs of drying out from water splashed on them. I now use carnuba car wax (Mothers) on them alternating with lemon oil and they have come back to life. Yup - car wax.
Yup, carnauba is from a tree. Silicone is from a vat. If you haven't tried it, Lundmark's is a **** fine paste wax. It is sold at Ace hardware stores. You can even get color-added Lundmark's but I haven't tried it.

For really stressed hardwood and veneers, I now wet sand using fine grit papers and a polymerized tung oil. The oil and sanding tends to fill scratches and eliminate marks in the finish. Two processes of sanding and a final wipe coat of oil leaves a piano gloss finish.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't care for the smell of lemon oil, almond oil works too.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used OLD ENGLISH and wipe every once in a while. The woodwork stays looking new.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Oil it and use a wax like Lundmark's that has a carnuba and turpentine base stock.
This is no joke. I always use lemon oil on all my wood. Our kitchen cupboards started showing signs of drying out from water splashed on them. I now use carnuba car wax (Mothers) on them alternating with lemon oil and they have come back to life. Yup - car wax.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Old English furniture oil has done us very well over the years. Wipe on let it stand for a few hours, wipe off excess.

2x

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We have and still use this at home and in the RV with great success.
Pick you wood color for a perfect match.

Cabinet Restorer....HERE

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Agreeing that furniture oil is the readily available answer:).

dogwood36322
Explorer
Explorer
Liquid Gold has worked well for us. Just follow directions on container.
Jim,
Retired US Army, Still training Army pilots at Ft.Rucker, Al.
2011 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7, B&W turnover hitch/5th wheel.
2014 Heritage Glen 356QBQ
Days Camped 2016----33

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
I use lemon oil on all of our wood cabinets. My wife uses Lemon Pledge, but lemon oil can be partially absorbed by wood that does not have a lacquer finish. We have an antique sideboard that has only had wax applied to it from when it was first built. No cracking on the sideboard.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old English furniture oil has done us very well over the years. Wipe on let it stand for a few hours, wipe off excess.