cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dual Cam Setup

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a old style (U-Bolt) dual cam setup. I was installing it and noticed that where the second bracket goes is in the steel propane tank base. So I measured it up and drilled some holes through the base and bolted it up. I went to go put the tanks back on and noticed that the base of the tank is rocking on one of the top of the u-bolts. Have any of you guys run into this? I was going to shim up the propane tanks 1/4" to get some clearance. I just don't feel comfortable with the propane tanks being smushed in between to steel parts.
4 REPLIES 4

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Spaced mine with nuts like Barney did...
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I spaced mine up with a couple of 1" square tubing pieces underneath the tray.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, the bottom piece is bolted on, I will unbolt it and then run it through the nuts like you said, I just didn't think about that. I thought I would have enough clearance in the first place, but it was really close.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are your tank mounts welded on or held on by a 4 sheet metal bolts? Mine were held on my the bolts and I just took them off, purchased longer ones, used a 4 large stainless steel nuts, ran the bolts through the nuts which acted as spacers between the frame and tank mount, and tightened everything down. Use nuts large enough to give room for the U bolts to move forward or backward for adjustment if necessary.

If your tanks are welded on, you could still probably use large nuts or two stacked on top of each other and fastened to the mounting plate to give you enough clearance so the tanks sit flat.

Another possibility is to grind out part of the bottom flange of the tanks to give clearance. Don't know if that is legal or desirable though as it may compromise the integrity of the tank.

A third possibility is to grind/cut out a small portion of the tank mount itself - just enough to give the U bolts the necessary clearance to fit on the A frame.

A forth possiblity is shimming up the tank mount as I think you mentioned. I would cut a treated board of the necessary thickness into a shape that would fit over the U bolt and bottom on the tank to give a flat surface. Then set the tanks on top of it.
Hope this helps.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine