cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entrance door lock trouble

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
I’d like to replace JUST the cylinder lock core itself and not the whole door latch assembly. I know it can be done & you need the lock to be unlocked and a core pulling key but can’t seem to find it in a internet search. I don’t apparently have the wording right to get the results I’m looking for . I may just buy a new latch assembly, probably cheaper in the long run

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
Latest installment of the latch troubles
First I found that the old latch is still good it was one key that was bad
Was told by DW to just replace the latch .(it was her key)
So get new latch through Amazon & install . Test ,Test & retest seems good
Now camping for 8 days . Second day out 5:15 am DW wakes me to inform me she needs to put dogs out & can’t get door open. ( tt only has one door)
The deadbolt is stuck in locked position & lever to deadbolt is loose and is no longer connected to deadbolt. I now get screwdriver out to disassemble the latch from inside .
I get door open . Opon inspection the deadbolt consists of 3 parts and the middle was no longer connected with the other 2. I reassemble latch minus the deadbolt assembly
So I can shut door . ( insects were terrible)

Later I go to trailer supply to get another new latch. Different brand!
Install & test , notice head of screw on top ( in door frame) has snapped off flush with frame. Drill new hole directly behind old broken screw & install new screw

If you only have one door in in your camper make sure you have the correct tool to remove the latch assembly . It’s a long way down to the ground from one of those escape windows

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm just dense but did you identify the type and make or model of lock? Not all locks can be repaired or recored. Some, if not many locks using disc tumblers cannot be replaced.

Trimark was the top of the heap sometime ago and now their compartment handle locks are swedged in. You can get it out but not without destroying the assembly.

It costs the manufacturer extra to make locks repairable and why when most folks are taught to replace rather than repair.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Jackfate wrote:
I’d like to replace JUST the cylinder lock core itself and not the whole door latch assembly. I know it can be done & you need the lock to be unlocked and a core pulling key but can’t seem to find it in a internet search. I don’t apparently have the wording right to get the results I’m looking for . I may just buy a new latch assembly, probably cheaper in the long run

Thanks

The cylinder is removed by removing the clip on the back holding it in the lock, inserting a key that works, turning it 45 degrees or so to prevent the pins from falling out, then pushing the cylinder out with a plastic or wood cylinder of the same diameter. If there is no working key, you may be able to pick the lock. Some locks have access to the pins; once they are uncovered and the top pins, tumbler pins and springs are removed, then the cylinder can be pushed out.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would look for a different lubricant then graphite. Some tumblers are plastic rather then the metal used in earlier times. I call them tumblers but are actually small metal or plastic bars that are moved by the key.
Keys need to be buffed to remove sharp edges so they do not destroy the tumblers.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
What brand and model of latch did you buy?

No name brand . I guess you could call it generic.From Johnson RV supply .
It’s not the latch it's self I’ve got the problem with its the cylinder & I believe their all the same. But I also am not ruling out the keys as sometimes certain keys work a tad better. I’ve had this happening to me since 1997 last 3 campers.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What brand and model of latch did you buy?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
Update , new door latch assembly installed. Came with 4 keys all equally crappy. The cylinders the RV industry’s using is of lowest quality obtainable. Overall I feel I no fix as to what I already had. I’ve buffed the keys to soften the edges in an attempt to make the key slide in smoother & used graphite in the cylinder. All to no avail

Oh Well

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well back when I lived in Detroit. I'd have pulled the lock assembly and headed for Redford Safe and Lock.. Or Freds. (Freds is the biggest locksmith in Detroit).

Now. you are not likely in detroit. but I'll bet there is a "Biggest locksmith" not all that far from you. one that can compete with Redford S&L if not Freds.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
After measuring my latch I ordered the whole assembly on amazon $25. The way this crazy world works anymore I guess I should be happy I don’t have to buy the whole door !

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good dealer should be able to change the core for you. Some locksmiths may if they happened to work around RV's. Call around. If you were near me I'd change it for you.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
If it is an FIC lock , there is a recall on them . They send you the inerds and a tool to change it .
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is a place to compare yours to a replacement.Entrance locks

And another
RV designer

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The entire door latch assembly is around $26 new for the common model. I ordered one from an eBay vendor that was able to give me any key code I wanted. So I matched it to the other door on the rig.
I don't know if you could buy the internals separately.